Now that the Cobalt is sold and gone:

Tuner World

The tech kid!!
Mar 8, 2009
Hoffman Estates
My cousins SS/TC is a dud also IMO. He bought it with like <100 miles on it and since day 1, it has had a nasty ticking sound coming from the valve cover area. The dealership when he went there claimed it was the "direct ignition" but this tick was LOUD. You could totally tell it was from the valvetrain. A GM tech actually admitted for it being a valvetrain issue, but completely changed the story the next time around.

2nd main issue was his rear brakes. Within 20k on the car (not badly beaten), his rear caliper was f*cked. GM didn't cover it under warranty and quoted him 400+ to fix/ replace all the brake hardware. I mean c'mon now at 20k no caliper should seize, especially the rear ones which only do like what, 20% braking?

And the torque learn-down program crap is complete sh*t. It's a sportscar, let it be at it's full potential!!! If you're worried about the stock clutch going out cause of too much torque, put a fucking better clutch in the car!!!

There's my negative rant about the car. I guess Chevy's horrible customer service didn't really help my views toward the car. They treat you like you're a fucking retard. They would make up complete crap about the car, avoiding a major problem by making up a minor one, and wouldn't even let me come back there to check the car out because only "the owner of the car" can go back there. They only did that because he was being a little quiet and they knew he didn't know too much about cars and I was calling them out on all the BS they were saying.

Other than all that shit, the car isn't too bad. Great gas mileage, good suspension/tire setup especially for a FWD, and isn't that slow. I know bypassing that torque crap with a tune or stage-kit or w/e helps the car a lot performance wise.

I like driving the car, it's pretty fun but I would NEVER own one.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
And some of the cons you posted are clearly driver error, no offense. The cars shift flawlessly and there is NO hangtime between shifting...

That being said, I just think you jumped into the car too fast and got a shitty one. :dunno:

What in the FUCK are you rambling about???

It is HARD to drive the car CASUALLY, put ANYONE who is experianced with a 5 speed behind a cobalt, and they will drive it 'jerky' if they try to shift it casually, This is the fault of the drive by wire IMO.

There is NO hangtime between shifting when did I say there was??? I had said the transmission was HARD TO SHIFT SMOOTHLY 'casually' due to the Drive by wire, Jeez... When going all out, it pulled like a freighttrain and shifted flawlessly. My 'gripe' was that it is a 'rough' car as a whole, and hard to drive smoothly between the how hard the clutch bites, and the drive by wire.

And I do not equate mine to being 'shitty' either, the 3 mechanical problems the car had are extremely common, Wheel bearing, Rear brakes, and the recall...... You even just said yours had a bad wheel bearing when you bought it, and another person had just said a TC/SS had seized its rear brakes at 20K.

My post wasn't meant to 'single out my car as being shitty' either, it was my over-all experiance, and my feelings about the car... Did you actually read my post? I'm a bit confused...?

dasfinc, you had a piece of shit. i never had any shift issues or delay in acceleration. it was the car or user lol

Again, WHERE DID I SAY I HAD SHIFTING ISSUES?!?! The car was HARD TO SHIFT SMOOTHLY because of the drive by wire, there was nothing wrong with the transmission... Do you people even READ my threads? Or just start rambling....

1. Your last sentence does not match with you paragraph above where you accuse of 'beating the piss out of it'.

2. His complaints with the car do not really have anything to do with a car getting the piss beaten out of it. He was complaining more of the fit and finish. Unless every time he went to use a feature and was frantically stabbing the buttons like Charles Manson...

THANK YOU, JEEZUS

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Idk I could always shift it smooth....

My Mustang was drive by wire and a 5spd, and when driving 'casually' I could be smooth as silk, My civics, and explorer that were all 5 speeds, same thing. I suspect that the combination of drive by wire, and a heavy clutch/flywheel made it more difficult to shift while driving casually than any of my previous cars.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
uhm. its a damn econobox. wtf did you expect?

i don't get all pissed off at gm about how my fbodies have squeaks and rattles. its not a corvette...its not a fukkin cadillac...

and i'm with the OCD guy who doesn't use paragraphs...my 94 is quieter and smoother than most peoples 05s.

so now the slowbalt is gone...whatchya movin onto?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
uhm. its a damn econobox. wtf did you expect?

i don't get all pissed off at gm about how my fbodies have squeaks and rattles. its not a corvette...its not a fukkin cadillac...

and i'm with the OCD guy who doesn't use paragraphs...my 94 is quieter and smoother than most peoples 05s.

so now the slowbalt is gone...whatchya movin onto?

I picked up a 00 Ranger 4X4, Supercab, 4.0 V-6, Off-Road Package, etc, etc just prior to selling it, and I already have my V-8 swapped 98 Ranger.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
:bigthumb:

That's my plan also. Hoping that tax return is good to me....

Ditto.

I like that the 'new' green truck is an 'all purpose' vehicle, 4X4, can seat 4, Pickup bed, hitch, etc, while the orange truck is my 'fun' truck, my 'toy'

The trade off is that neither get decent MPG, and the orange truck isn't especially 'fast' yet.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Eh as long as you have fun wrenching on it and driving it who cares how fast it is? Gives you something to work for also.

I've come to terms with that since my first track outing with it. My last 'hurrah' is I want to run it with a taller tire with all of the assorted 'repairs' I've made to it since the beginning of the season.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
75p4dph0cr6jihp6r24.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info