not so sketchy turbo v6

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

boosted trashcan enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the injectors in tonight and rough dialed em in for idle. I have never heard this car run as smooth as it does now. All through warm up even on e85 that's sat for a while it just purrs. Steady idle speed, no pops or weird noises almost as it should stock. I should note when I took the 60s out there was a bunch more crap that came up with em so I'm assuming the e85 is cleaning a bunch of nastiness out of this thing and maybe the gunk is screwing up the spray pattern too.

But for now it's a big win and rules out a variable I could've been fighting from the start. I've still got quite a ways to go but the moral of the story is buy good flowtested injectors or have it done yourself. So far it seems to make a pretty big difference.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Got it out for a little bit to put fresh fuel in it and do a little dialing it in. Only pushing 8 or 9 psi and fuels really rich yet but it seems to run quite well. Oil pressure still drops to nothin when it's warm but it doesn't seem to really care. Probably try a thicker oil rather than looking further into it for the time being. Also it doesn't seem to care when I push the brake pedal down anymore. Goes a little bit lean but doesn't stumble like it did before.

Now to figure out if I remembered to put a lighter spring in it or if I've got a boost leak holding me back. I thought for sure I had the gate set for 13 or 14 psi but I could've been smart and backed it down.

20211120_163654.jpg

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Well, on to motor #4. Finally tried to go full throttle and spun a main at less than 10 psi and 7⁰ of timing. So it made it about 40 miles all together lol. So anyways, from experience if these drop oil pressure once they warm up, your already fucked.

Kind of explains why it wanted to start rattling for no reason I suppose. The good news is I think the bugs are finally worked out of the tune finally.

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
No sad faces guys only solutions.

Rather than waste time sulking about it I spent a day or two looking at options from another turbo 3800 fbody to an l67, cams etc. Ultimately the past couple nights I've been pickin away at the motor on the h body k member I drug home and so far I don't hate what I'm seeing.

Everything's covered in oil from leaking valve covers so it's come apart pretty decent and that being the case Ive got a little hope that it had some oil pressure. Thinking a zzp oil pump spring should bump things up and make sure. It was probably stupid to overlook somethin so small and at this point seems like cheap insurance, if not a critical piece of the puzzle.

Added bonus this motor was literally one bellhousing bolt from coming off the trans and k member if the previous owner would've just taken the exhaust manifolds off to get to it and it's kind of a weird reminder of what giving up looks like. Even tho I'm doing it all over again it makes me thankful for a life that allows me to keep going.

Hope you guys all have a good Thanksgiving and weekend!

Pro Stock John

That LS1Tech guy
Reaction score
They are a labor of love that's for sure.

With mine I tried to share the bad as well as the good, like spending months trying to figure out the cooling only to finally throw in the towel and let my buddies figure it out which they did in a couple of days.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Sometimes a different perspective is all thats needed I suppose. I'm still optimistic after finally getting it to run right and do what I asked it to until it started comin apart.

You'd think the last thing I'd wanna do is come home after workin two jobs and runnin kids around all day to bust my hands up just to break it again but there's some kinda peace in the process. It may be a silly hobby and it may kick you pretty hard sometimes but it's probably been the best thing I've ever done as far as my mental health goes. You really have to strive to learn more and do better to get it right and having those goals is pretty life changing. Beats the hell out of sittin around watching the world go by dragging yourself through evenings on Netflix or who did what at the bar last weekend.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Not real sure to be honest I haven't done much to it but move it around and clean up the garage since I pulled it back in. Oil on the stick looked good so I don't think it was coolant. I'm guessing I either didn't crank it enough with the fuel pump off to prime the bearings after sitting or it was that way when I put it in there.

It acted just like the one in my firebird tho had pressure until warm and then dropped to nothin when warm, that motor had 265k on it eating its own coolant and always ran fine until I tried to pull third gear with it and then it got into kr. It wasn't until I had it on the dyno and decided to send it through that that one went but this one kinda had a rattle from the get go when I'd blip the throttle at idle that'd come and go so I'm assuming maybe a rod bearing but I'll have to get it apart and see what happened. Think I'll be checking torque and making sure that's all up to snuff before going back in this time. If it wasn't for being told over and over to not screw with the cranks on these I'd probably be picking up some plastigauge to check everything and tryin to gap the rings.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
All that being said I should have a good crank in the chipped piston motor to work with so i think I may get some bearings and stuff after I get this next one in and try puttin one together with my collection of junk parts and see how that goes.

• :)
  • :angrys00ls:
  • ;)
  • :bowdown:
  • :(
  • :mad:
  • :confused:
  • :cool:
  • :p
  • :D
  • :eek:
  • :oops: