not so sketchy turbo v6

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

boosted trashcan enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm Kind of on the fence about whether I should use the ebay gaskets and bolts I have or if it's worth it to upgrade to arp bolts and cometic gaskets tho, and it looks like there's two part #s with different bore sizes. I'm assuming stock bottom that I'd want the smaller bore of the two?

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
I would definitely try the icm before going any further.
Even with the pressure on the cooling system? I mean I know better than to second guess you but it sure kinda seems like that may be an issue. Not that it doesn't act completely electrical in nature the way it switches and just hangs on the one hole at a time

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Even with the pressure on the cooling system? I mean I know better than to second guess you but it sure kinda seems like that may be an issue. Not that it doesn't act completely electrical in nature the way it switches and just hangs on the one hole at a time
How much pressure is it building?

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
How much pressure is it building?
More than it should be I believe. The top hose was super tight like it was about to pop off there when I shut it down and now that I think about it it's been building pressure before it's even warmed up. I may try the icm but I bet if I leave the cap off the tank and put air to that side there's gonna be bubbles in there.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
I'm gonna try it but I've got that gut feeling its gonna make me tear it apart again. It's not like I don't have the stuff sittin there to do it and now that I do this stuff all day it's not near as intimidating to tear into it anyway.

Tryin to get some stuff done today so I can take the weekend off and get it done if need be

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
I'm gonna guess that it's already been lost considering the rear cover was done and it had green coolant in it. I'm not excited to do it and part of me thinks I should just toss that other motor in it. But at least I know I've got some half decent heads here if needed and if I do it I'll know it's been done right and what I've got.

what else am I gonna do anyway sit around and watch TV? Nah.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Got to thinkin. I've gotta have compression or it wouldn't have held the valves up or would've been leaking out the coolant passages when I put air to the cylinders to change the springs. Or am I crazy?

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
So the icm makes no difference. Case learn can make changes but it either smooths out or it really pisses it off and it'll rattle and die. Air fuel ratio is way the hell out of whack and I'm having to add a bunch of fuel to get it to where I think it should really be even tho fuel pressure seems like it should be fine.

I think I'm gonna try putting the 60lb injectors back in. At least that way I know my tune is solid and then I can go from there. I'm sure this shitty e85 in the tank isn't helping matters any.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Got it. Those 80lb injectors are junk now if they weren't before, there must've been some shit in the motor because they were clean when I put em in and when I pulled em they were covered in funky black carbony shit. I still think these 60s might be kinda sketch and it's got a weird little tick that kinda comes and goes in the passenger bank but that took care of almost all the misfires. I'm betting the tick has somethin to do with it dropping oil pressure when it's warmed up but time will tell or I'll tear into more too.

This turbo sounds mean just goosin it in the garage so hopefully this things a party when I get that slave cylinder taken care of and I can drive it again.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Tick very well may be an exhaust leak. Taking the oil cap off doesn't make it any louder so it doesn't seem to be valvetrain unless maybe lifters or timing chain but it seems to be more to that side so I'm gonna hope for the best and focus on the slave and getting it moving again

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
On to the slave cylinder. After looking in from the peephole on the trans I can clearly see it leaking where the metal shaft goes into the plastic housing and is held in with a roll pin. I'm assuming there's just an o ring or something inside there but seeing how it came with that ebay clutch I've just decided to scrap it and maybe tear it apart for science later on. I tried to find the one that was in it as I was just going to throw it back in for the time being and then decided I really don't wanna pull this trans again for the same stupid reason. So I found one in town and grabbed my long extensions from work and it looks like I've got the rest of my day if not weekend planned.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Oof that was a fight, some idiot hit the bellhousing bolts with the impact going back to gether so it made for some fun trying to get them back out. New slave was installed and bled and I finished some things up today and took it for a quick drive to the end of the road and back. Nothin over 30 mph and no heavy throttle but oil pressure issue and tick seems to have gone away. I don't see any major leaks, and it seems to run smooth as can be. Get the brakes bled and it seems to be solid again. Successful first two miles I'd say.

Snapchat-194495200.jpg

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Question, How are you guys doing the case learn? In hpt all I have is an on or off button. I know your supposed to hold brake and park brake and then the limiter should hit around 4k but either somethin isn't right or I'm doing it wrong. Sometimes it'll rattle after, sometimes it'll miss. I think I've found kind of a sweet spot but it makes me nervous nonetheless. If the computer isn't reading idle timing correctly I damn well don't trust it under boost.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
It can but any other vehicle I've messed with it tells you when to do what. This is just an on and off button and it should have a message that say "good luck" pop up because its definitely timing knock when it doesn't wanna do it right. I know that sound too well and I don't like it lol.

I'm guessing my best bet is to get it to work and use the snap on scanner to make sure I get it right rather than risk it and do this all over again.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Somethins screwy. The snap on scanner gives me an error when trying to do a relearn although the limiter hits when it should and it sounds a lil better after trying it. Got into it a little bit taking it home and it seemed to spool pretty quick and had plenty of power and didn't give me any kr so that's promising.

All in all it seems to run good although a bit on the lean side until decel and then it wants to fall on its face and hunts for a bit when I push the brakes like it's got a vac leak. Hard to think that's the case with 20 to 22 inches of vac on idle but maybe a boost test wouldn't hurt. I'm still leaning more towards an issue on the ckp side of things but I'm probably just gonna put a way lighter spring in it and put it back on pump gas for now until I figure out what's going on with it.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
How does it run at idle now? Does it still misfire a lot?
Barely, just an occasional pop here and there but after hearing it rattle before I'm hesitant to try getting into it anymore than I did. Also my exhaust is rattling against a heat shield on the bottom so it's hard to hear if there's anything else goin on. It hits certain spots when warming up it'll go through intermittent misses and then comes right back out if it when it changes fueling again. The hunting at idle is more my concern at the moment but I suppose that could be some fueling problems as well and it never did die and it doesn't do it long so idk.

Backing it into the garage I noticed it felt like the rear end was catching again so I suppose I'll need to swap for the lower geared one sooner than later and my right front brake caliper seems to be hanging up as well so I may as well do that while I'm at it. It's just kinda knocked the wind out of my sails at the moment knowing I have so much left to do and it still not being right. Not that I should expect it to fire up and run like a sewing machine either tho I suppose.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Picked up a good set of 80# fic injectors from a local guy I know that went to bigger ones. These are flowtested as well as have a little run time on them so I know they're solid. I remember Tim from zzp telling me these 60s could have issues when I first started this build then I melted two by not having them in all the way and ordered a couple more to replace them so they're definitely mismatched at best.

Hopefully my theory is right and a set of decent quality injectors cures the issues, it sure can't hurt to know I've got a good set in it.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
I do all my case learns through Aeroforce.
I didn't realize you could do that with one that's awesome. However I really don't wanna buy another gauge at the moment so I need to figure out what's going on so I can get it done correctly. While I don't think the injectors are going to cure that issue I do know my afrs are way off from where they used to be on the same tune. Granted I've fixed alot along the way and I'm sure that accounts for alot of it I still don't feel like my error is where it should be from my tune so that's why I bit the bullet on the injectors and to rule that out as a variable.y next step is going to be grabbing one of my 7440 pcms and throwing it in there and seeing if that helps any. If those two things don't do it I did notice a small chip out of the harmonic balancer from me using a steering wheel puller to take it off. I'm sure that's not helping matters but as small as it is it's hard to think that that would be the cause of my issues at hand. Good thing I got a few junk motors around to swap parts around on

• :)
  • :angrys00ls:
  • ;)
  • :bowdown:
  • :(
  • :mad:
  • :confused:
  • :cool:
  • :p
  • :D
  • :eek:
  • :oops: