not so sketchy turbo v6

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

boosted trashcan enthusiast
Reaction score
That's my thoughts at the moment. I basically live at the work shop lately and I really should be doing stuff there but i needed a day away and I can't stand just sitting around if I feel good or not. I just keep telling myself "it's just 6 bolts or just four bolts" and keep trudging on.

I figure once I get it going again I'll just use the lift there to do this next time and then I won't have stuff torn apart in two different places lol

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
My motivation goes to shit when I have to crawl under things in not great weather. I'm hoping that the attached garage helps stuff out a hair.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
If I'd have brought my creeper home it would've been nice but doin the cardboard thing gives me a lil more room to work I guess. Just about got myself talked into crawling back under there and finishing it so I can get back into town and get some antifreeze and maybe get it to fire yet tonight

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Got "everything back together" but I've got problems. Firstly the fuel pump isn't kicking on, lovely. The temp gauge is buried, oil pressure starts way high at key on and seems to go down when cranking, voltmeter isn't showing much of anything and neither is the tach. However when cranking is does pull a lil vacuum on the gauge and sounds good as far as cranking over. Checked fuses and I'm not coming up with anything.

Second, the slave cylinder on the clutch is apparently leaking where the fitting goes into it rendering it basically useless as the pedal just goes to the floor. I really just wanted to hear it run tonight but I is what it is. I may just haul it into the shop and get it on the lift and deal with the rest of it now that it's at least back in one piece again.

20211107_154654.jpg

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Nevermind some idiot forgot the ground strap on the back of the harness

so she fired right up. Spit a bit at first then afrs jumped right in check and she sat there for a bit and while she sounded rough like maybe I still have a miss somewhere, she was smooth and consistent at least.. until I noticed oil pouring out of my turbo feed tee where I put a brass fitting.. I'm just gonna jack my good hydraulic setup line off that van at work and throw this braided bs on that thing and then see how the rest of it goes. Seems like the throwout bearing and slave is going to be the beast to deal with for the time being.

Freaking awesome to hear her run again tho boys, even if it was just for a little bit.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Ok so. I decided to just replace the 2 dollar fitting I broke and do a little investigating tonight. Take the afr comment from above with a grain of salt as I didn't have coolant in it yet and it was a pretty short run time. Also knowing this is an older motor that's sat I put 0w20 for the first start oil. Oil pressure started out pretty decent around the 40 mark at idle and with the miss the vacuum bounced furiously between 0 and 10 at first. So I start thinkin well fuck that motor was a waste of time and I figure if it's gonna be dead it's gonna die anyway. So I hit the gas a bit. Just some test pops at first since it goes really rich in pe really quick with the mini afc on there (I didn't even look at the switches inside I just threw it on and this is whatever tune I had in it when I played around with the deal hole also) anyways after not really hearing any knocking I decide to take it up about about 1500 and sit it there for a bit. Sure as shit I got more vacuum and it smoothed out a lil bit. So now I grab my cheap code reader off the wall. All I'm gettin is a got damn p0300 code. So I clear it and think whatever if it's goin to hell I'll send it now and crank it up to about 2k cuz it pigged out and I decided not to get as ridiculous as I thought. I check blowby by holding my hand over the oil cap to see if I'm building crankcase pressure cuz I'm seeing a lil smoke now. Yaaaa there's some but it's no where near as bad as it was with a chipped piston or even on par with my old diesel idi that ran like a tank and still does all day everyday after I boosted it. So now I'm thinkin sticky lifter or stuck rings 🤞 dump half a can of sea foam down the oil cap and send it back to 2k for a bit until I noticed oil pressure was barely hanging on at the bottom of the gauge and I decided I better shut it down. By this time vac was bouncing between 10 and 15 at idle and maybe a touch better than 18 at throttle.

So now I'm draining the oil out which I intended to do anyway due to having the lim and rear cover off and the assembly lube I put on the rockers, but theres no glitter, no knocking, maybe a lil valvetrain rattle on the passenger bank and its kinda popping out of this exhaust sporadically. I reaaalllyyy hope I don't end up having to do this all over again already.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
So I'm think the motor is OK albeit when it warms up it drops oil pressure. When warm vacuum is around 18 or 19 steady on the gauge and with a little throttle it's 20 plus. Now instead of just a p0300 I get a p0302 but the car seems to be getting better and better even tho there still seems to be some valve train noise on that side. I haven't put the laptop to it but it's kinda of hitting me that I should try a case learn since the pcm is probably guessing at best. Afrs have been high 13s and low 14s so I haven't bothered to mess with anything other than making sure things are mechanically sound and letting it idle and playing with it a little bit. Getting a pretty good amount of condensation from the breather I'm hoping this e85 in it is just trash or I just have a dead lifter. Either way I'm probably done for the night before I tear into it any more.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
So, since it's still turbo 3.8 v6 things. I had a chance to take a good look at the van today. Where I originally thought it blew the hotside mess it had really just popped the intake tube but was sitting to where I didn't notice it. Next chance I get I think I'll slam some sheet metal screws in that sob so it stays put and light it off again lol. Waiting for a morning I'm not busy when it's good and cold to shove as much air in it as I can.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
I love this, how much to turbo my PPV
I mean it could be done that lt platform has been awesome to me. I helped a friend do one where we did 6.2 injectors, intake mani and throttle body and put down consistent mid 340/390s @ 90+⁰ out on e85 and still gets 18 or 19 mpg highway. Right up there with 6.2 numbers with all emissions intact and has been daily driven for 4 or 5 months now without so much as a single check engine light. I'd imagine we'd want a cam with a lil more fuel lobe and a hell of a lift pump in it tho :bowrofl: Those things get pricey real fast without even gettin to the fun part.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Got to playing with the car a little tonight and took the afc off of it. Sounds a little better but still missing on number 2 and still rich as hell.

At this point I don't hear any more noise coming from the engine and when it warms up I've got 19 or 20 inches of vacuum and it seems to calm down so I'm thinkin the motor is gold. I should've remembered to bring my laptop home from work I got a feeling if I get this janky tune out of it I may be in ok shape, or at least be able to get some data to point me in the right direction anyway. I'm pretty sure it's still loaded with the tune from me playing around with the dead hole and the timing adjustments I'd made prior to fix whatever was going on with it so crossing my fingers if I load up a good file or start from scratch I can get it roped back in line. Then I'll probably yank it into town and use the lift to get at that slave cylinder no part of me wants to lay on the cold concrete in the garage bench pressing a trans at the moment.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Dang it. I think you need to make it public.
Your probably right but the last time I did that it didn't go so well lol. I kinda wanna throw some injectors at it and get it the fuel it needs but a guy I know that ran a 14 with a 200 shot on one told me you can't get into them with hpt to be able to dial them in. So then I thought maybe I can get it where it needs to be with a fuel pressure regulator. Besides that it's just some sketchy ol van I slopped together over a weekend that somehow isn't dead yet. No where near as cool as that srt swapped one boost and bad habits built.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
This damn car has me wanting to smash my head into a wall again. Consistent misses on cylinder 2 so I play around do a case learn and try swapping some tunes and do nothing but make it worse. Finally it throws a few hits on 5 so I'm thinkin oh hey a coil pack. Swap that out and what's it do? Starts missing on 6 like the holes dead. So I swap a couple coils out in that spot, swap a couple wires, burn the piss out of my hand on these bastard pipes and walked inside. Thinkin bout throwing a different icm on it but at this point I don't think that's probably gonna do it either.

I hate when this thing pulls this kinda shit.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
That was my thoughts but after watching it move back and forth between 2 and 6 by the time it gets to temp and the pressure on the cooling system I think I've probably got an issue. I cleaned and swapped cam and crank sensors, swapped coils, messed with injectors, even double checked firing order. So I guess we keep goin and eventually its gotta run out of shit to throw at me, after a certain point it's really just a "oh this is what we're doing now" thing.

• :)
  • :angrys00ls:
  • ;)
  • :bowdown:
  • :(
  • :mad:
  • :confused:
  • :cool:
  • :p
  • :D
  • :eek:
  • :oops: