not so sketchy turbo v6

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

boosted trashcan enthusiast
Reaction score
Buick And 140k is bout all the guy said. Was planning on putting it in his kids car and ended up buying them somethin else I guess. There was another with more miles for a little less that came up but that one I was pretty sure was an l26 and I probably should get one running before i bring anymore home lol

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Been slowly pickin away at this thing little by little. Got the flywheel, clutch and trans back on it but before it goes back in I decided to swap out the alternator so I don't have to fight the exhaust when it's back in there.

Man this thing really charged the battery good for the shape its in tho

Snapchat-1272871735.jpg

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Oh btw, I don't have a dyno anymore.

Fortunately my work just got one tho. I never thought I'd say I'm thankful for goin back to a real job from bein self employed, but I'm pretty glad I did.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Long story short my boss is awesome and it'll be an asset to the fleet to be ahead of the emission testing game the way things are changing in the automotive world these days.

Plus it's a crazy nice shop right next door to a customs shop. Sounds like we're going to rent out time on it but I'm not going to be doing any tuning or anything.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Think this things finally ready to go back in there. Been pretty busy lately between work and kids stuff but for whatever reason I keep working on the damn thing. I've got some small wheel dollys somewhere I need to get dug up that should make getting it under there alot easier. Movin all that around by yourself isn't an easy task without gettin a little bit creative

Snapchat-1192717887.jpg

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Still a ways to go but sans tightening some things down underneath, its back where it belongs. Had more trouble with the top bolt on the torque arm bushing until I tweaked the bracket back into shape than anything and I managed to do it myself with dollys a few floor jacks, some time and patience and alot of trust in a cheap engine hoist. Good to see it back on its own wheels again tho.

Snapchat-847784070.jpg

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Reaction score
Do you ever have any issues with your tensioner hitting your alternator? Before I ran with A/C I thought about routing like that but the tensioner was hitting the alternator on my car

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Not unless it's not running right but that belt is pretty tight on there. If I've got a misfire or somethin it'll get a little tick or slap in it that comes from the tensioner area but I ran both cars this way and that's the only time I've ever got any noise out of it. I guess I haven't really ever seen where it hits either so I figured it to be belt slap. Belt has to be pretty tight running it this way tho otherwise it'll throw it and snap off the ect sensor and whatever else it decides to get into

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
My car always tossed the belts off with that routing. It wasn't very tight due the angle of force and tensioner position. However, my alternator is slightly out of alignment which makes the issue a lot worse. My new routing fits an LS belt perfectly and keeps great tension.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Even with the tensioner backed off it takes a little effort to slip it on over the water pump pulley. 61613 is the belt # if I remember right. Think the parts store guy said it was for a BMW supercharger or somethin but it's been a while.

bs009

Reaction score
I really liked running this belt routing. I just had to run a ribbed tensioner pulley but I don't remember the belt size I used. Tons of tension and easy to install. Way better than what I have to do right now to make it work with my A/C system

probably fine both ways but that looks like a pita to install :LOL:

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
It really isn't too bad to get on once you've done it a few times lol. I like the way you guys have it tho looks like it'd stay on there alot better. Good lookin out on the belt # now that I've seen a different way I'm sure it'll throw it off there just for fun 🤣

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Got the harness gone through and rewrapped and the shifter and all that put back in. Hopefully all i have left is to bolt the driveshaft in the rear end hook up the starter and fill it with fluids with the exception of soldering a knock sensor lead back in and waiting on new oil feed and drain fittings for the zoom whistle. Had to borrow em for a work project 🥴

Snapchat-1542162029.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Got the harness gone through and rewrapped and the shifter and all that put back in. Hopefully all i have left is to bolt the driveshaft in the rear end hook up the starter and fill it with fluids with the exception of soldering a knock sensor lead back in and waiting on new oil feed and drain fittings for the zoom whistle. Had to borrow em for a work project 🥴

View attachment 104151
Whoa what the fuck. I need deets on the van.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Dyno fodder 🤣 It's a real piece of work and needed to die anyway. Oil pan smashed in, barely goes into gear and all rotted out. I really couldnt believe it was real for a minute til they started remodeling a room for viewing and then in an "oh shit I got like 3 days to move this thing over there and get this done" moment I started in on it. No wastegate, no intercooler, no injectors, no tuning, no nothin. I wish I'd have got on it a little faster my welding job where I tied into the crossover is hack at best cuz I couldn't get it off in a reasonable amount of time and I cooked my harbor freight Flux mig on it so I'm hoping it at least builds enough boost to outrun the injectors and accomplish the goal of turning it into a yard ornament for the shop.

One thing is for sure tho. The kids will never forget the Halloween they spent at the shop watching cartoons and smashing candy while dad sketchy turbo'd a van 🤣

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Lit the van off this morning, not surprisingly as soon as it built boost it blew the cold weld out and put down a lackluster 121/172 at a peak of 4500 rpm. As soon as I heard it lose boost I got out of it and it was filling the bay with fumes from the cold weld and transmission.

It was still a blast and I think there's plenty left in it to get that crossover piece off and welded up nice and do a better job of plugging off the exhaust at the rear mani and come back for it again. But the main thing is the dyno is back up and running and in a way better location than before.

I think I'm gonna be spending most of my free time at work now 😂

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
My God I forgot how many tiny little things there are to mess with on this car. Spent the majority of the evening last night hooking little stuff up and tightening down some things here and there trying to make sure I've got it all right. I forgot how much I hate these pipes when it comes to plug wires on the passenger side and there's really just no good way to run a couple of them so I'm probably gonna deal with smoked wires again.

Anyways it's gettin closer even tho it's not been progressing as fast as I'd like it to be.

Snapchat-1582202822.jpg

bs009

Reaction score
Interested in hearing how that turbo works out for you compared to your old one. I'm really impressed by how fast my new turbo spools up and it seems like it's pretty similar to yours

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Hopefully I'll know sooner than later. Ended up working all of today and I think I'm coming down with the crud my daughter has had the last few days so trying to talk myself into working on it is tough at the moment even tho it's driving me nuts that it's so close to running again.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Still not feeling the best today but this things so close that I can't make myself not work on it. Should be down to the rear u joint, the crossover, the intercooler, and filling it full of fluids and bleeding the clutch and brakes. I had to hook up the battery just to see all the gauges and radio light up again, kind of reassuring when nothin popped or started smoking and it all seems to work right when I kicked the key on lol

• :)
  • :angrys00ls:
  • ;)
  • :bowdown:
  • :(
  • :mad:
  • :confused:
  • :cool:
  • :p
  • :D
  • :eek:
  • :oops: