not so sketchy turbo v6

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

boosted trashcan enthusiast
Reaction score
These are the only MLS type I have so if they seal its whatever lol

Also I decided if I didn't do the rear cover with it sittin right here it'd bite me so I pulled it and while it's a touch crusty it was perfectly intact and had some swirls under the gasket so I'm sure it's been replaced before but I feel better now that it's done. Still kinda surprised to see this was already done tho

Snapchat-596694352.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Wooof looks like a good time to clean it up though. That death cool was doing its thing, and I'm betting that's original.

Also, I feel like more and more of a dumbass every day for throwing away my original MLS exhaust manifold gaskets. R.I.P.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
It actually cleaned up really nice in the parts washer once I got a couple tough spots of the gasket off. +1 for the gasket chisel tool thingy and some light taps with a socket on the back side of it. Way better than fighting a razor blade or throwing shit everywhere with a grinder.

I don't think I've had one yet with oem MLS. They've all been chincy multilayer pop metal bs and this is the only set I held back cuz I got em off without bending the piss out of them. They'll probably find the trash can anyway. I'm about down to puttin the headers, flywheel and trans on and then it can go back in tho I think.

At any rate I'm not sure what to think of the cover being done, I'm guessing either its a damn good motor or a pile of ass but you'd think I'd have found something bad by now with as much as I've had off of it and I just wanna get it back in and have my car back again lol

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
So now I'm running into headaches. I started putting the flywheel on and it hit me that these are torque to yield bolts, so here goes 9 bucks a piece on new ones and I'm back to waiting on shit again 🙄

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
The manual bolts are a little longer. I explored the arp cam bolt option and decided I'm gonna save the ten bucks since they aren't flywheel rated and oem gm bolts look to be a grade 9? Or L9 whatever that means. At any rate that flywheels got some weight to it if it ever came off of there so I feel alot better just doing it right.

At the same time im thinking maybe I better just throw this thing in there without the trans on it and make sure it runs before I waste the one time use bolts on it. Probably should get some pads and rotors coming for it and do some front struts while I'm at it and then once I get the rear end swapped from the parts car I'll have done just about everything on it and it should be a pretty fun car

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
The 10.4 stuff is 150k psi by the look of it or 1040Mpa. If the ARP bolts are higher tensile strength they are likely an upgrade.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
They say 200k psi on the arp website so go with them? I don't have a real fancy clutch just a "stage 1" off ebay that I'm hoping will give before the t5 does. 234-1001 is the arp part # for the cam bolt kit and 24505092 is the gm part # for individual flywheel bolts.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
That's what I was just thinking was if i can re use them the arp is better hands down. Plus I can find a torque spec of 28 lb/ft on them as opposed to gms 132 inch lbs and 50⁰ bs

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Ok so 234-1001 arp bolts are apparently discontinued but the 134-1001 seem to be plenty available. They're still rated at 180k psi with a 6 point head rather than a 12 point but the gm bolts would have to be pieced together to make a set and I still like the reusability factor.

But while I was there the ebay gods smiled upon me to make up for it with somethin gt3582ish...

Screenshot_20211010-175756_eBay.jpg

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Reaction score
Those specs are nearly identical to the new turbo I'm plumbing up right now in my car :LOL:
Exhaust housing a/r is a little smaller but otherwise it's pretty much exactly the same on paper lol

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
I'm on the right track then :bowrofl: It was fairly reasonably priced too. I was lookin more along the lines of 6662 to replace the nice 6665 I trashed to get that poor beat up t70 off of it when it popped up and i decided with the glitter I found in the pan I really don't wanna risk sending more of it through a seemingly good motor. Should drop right into my setup but that ugly red one is going on a shelf as a trophy for sure.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
Nah but I'd say I was lucky to get what I did and it'll be gettin a new Hitachi.

Granted that I'm thankful it died because I found things that could've been worse if left unattended,but I'm not really trying to do this all over again because I screwed off the most important sensor on the thing

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
And I drug another piece of shit home 🙄 paid a little more than I'd have liked to have but I figure it wasn't far from me and it's already pulled so that saves a days work and I'm probably not any deeper than the last one.

Maybe the trans and the aluminum control arms might be worth somethin to somebody with a fwd car too. I remember seeing thats a thing apparently. But either way I've got a spare for this or one to put in the other car now. Feels like it's got good compression and turns over pretty smooth so I don't think I probably hurt myself too bad here

Snapchat-1744985686.jpg

• :)
  • :angrys00ls:
  • ;)
  • :bowdown:
  • :(
  • :mad:
  • :confused:
  • :cool:
  • :p
  • :D
  • :eek: