• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

not bashing, just wondering

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Its collector value is two-fold

#1: it's immaculate with no miles

#2: it's the last fox cobra R made, period.

Do I think it is worth $115k? No. Will it be worth hundreds of thousands one day, for sure IMO.

It will never be worth that much and this is why. The 90s are not the 60s, and the 2000s are not the 70s. The 60s early 70s cars were worth so much money because they were the best performing cars being sold til at least the early 90s, in the 90s til now, every single car gets better by the year, not worse, so why the fuck would anybody buy that thing for more money when a 2000gt is faster for 10k? It's all about supply and demand, not much demand for a car that is a lot slower than the new cars of today.

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
Turk, you're wrong. A car's investment value is way more than it's performance in comparison to more modern vehicles. The value on a car is way more driven by the emotional connection buyers have to particular vehicle. I know will eventually pay top money for a restored 79-80' RX-7 some time down the road because I had some of the best times of my life in one.

I will agree that it is not worth that much now but it will be a 6 figure car within a decade. I would value that car right now to be closer to $60-65K. There are many people around my age now that remember the 93' Cobra R as one of their dream car. Why not buy that instead of a dime a dozen C6?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Turk, you're wrong. A car's investment value is way more than it's performance in comparison to more modern vehicles. The value on a car is way more driven by the emotional connection buyers have to particular vehicle. I know will eventually pay top money for a restored 79-80' RX-7 some time down the road because I had some of the best times of my life in one.

I will agree that it is not worth that much now but it will be a 6 figure car within a decade. I would value that car right now to be closer to $60-65K. There are many people around my age now that remember the 93' Cobra R as one of their dream car. Why not buy that instead of a dime a dozen C6?

Then explain to me why most cars selling for over 100k are from 72 or earlier? Not many in the late 70s going for that much money eh? Performance isn't the only factor, but it has to do A LOT with it. Nobody is pining over owning a 1983 Corvette with 150hp.

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
Then explain to me why most cars selling for over 100k are from 72 or earlier? Not many in the late 70s going for that much money eh? Performance isn't the only factor, but it has to do A LOT with it. Nobody is pining over owning a 1983 Corvette with 150hp.

The pre-73 big $ cars are still demand driven by emotion. A hemi Cuda convertable is a rare car that is worth a lot because it is "THEE" car that currently wealth baby-boomers dreamed of having back when they were in high school/college; when all they could afford was a 318 powered Plymouth Satelite.

As for an 83' Vette. Actually they would pay a huge figure for one since only about 40 were built and only one remains. For the sake of your argument, the 84' Vette is about as crap as any other but... the C4 was a jaw dropping car to the high school crowd in the mid 80's. Many 40-somethings may be willing to drop some money (not 6 figures though) on a well taken care of C4 over another weekend toy for the fleating chance to feel like a high schooler again or to just fulfill a lifelong dream. However, the limited production ZL-1 will pull huge money given the low production and emotional desirability of the greatest C4 made.

As for my RX-7 craving, I'd consider $10K to be big money for a car I bought for $500. (I actually bought 3 of them for under $1000 each back then.) I thank you for the link, there are some very nice 1st-Gen cars listed... now if I can only get another garage stall built...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info