Normal dealership procedure?

Charlie_Boy7

Bacon FTW
Reaction score
Is it at all common for dealerships to ask for a deposit before they give you your numbers back from the bank? Wife wants a Jeep from a Wisconsin dealer and they are saying they wont tell her her rates without money before we head out tomorrow. I personally have never heard of this. Everyone else has just normally run her credit and gave her definite numbers.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Sounds like a crock of shit to me.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Sounds like some bullshit.

Secure funding from your bank, credit card or credit union. I bet they tell you then.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Is continue with your form of funding then if you like the numbers. They can make money off of you 4 ways, the vehicle, a trade in, financing or warranty bullshit.

stock-t-bird

HVAC/R PARTS EQUIPMENT
Donating Member
Reaction score
just another ploy to get you to buy from their dealership..the other way was to drive your used/trade in...then they hold the keys until you fold
move on to a new dealer?

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Reaction score
Is continue with your form of funding then if you like the numbers. They can make money off of you 4 ways, the vehicle, a trade in, financing or warranty bullshit.
GAP ins
Accessories (exterior, interior)
Security items
Maintenance plan
Performance enhancements

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
Sounds like a shady tactic to tie up your money and keep you in their door. Then they will approve you at a high rate...

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
nope, If you know roughly what your credit is they can tell you the rates without even running it

Outlaw

Reaction score
Walk. As said it’s not common practice. They’re “trapping” you, since they’ll already have your money. It’s a crock of shit. My last dealership encounter kinda went the same way where they wouldn’t tell me my rates until I signed agreeing to the deal. Best thing to do if you can is secure your own financing, let them think they’ll be financing it, get the price where you want it and then drop your rates on them to compare.

torquelover

Reaction score
I've put down a refundable $100 to hold a specific car while we slept on it. The dealer would pull the car to the side and hang a sold tag off the mirror. That's okay with me.

I usually go into a deal with either my own loan approval letter from my credit union if the manufacturer isn't advertising a lower rate. Last couple cars I've bought the manufacturer was already advertising 0.9 or 0 percent anyway. If you have at least 690-700ish credit you'll more than likely qaulify.

I'd walk on your situation, too shady.

Also be very cautious at the dealer. I had one run credit once after specifically telling them I only wanted to apply for the manufacturer lending, and they ran my credit through like 9 different banks. Dropped my credit score a bit. I was super pissed off.

Tight Lines

Donating Member
Reaction score
If it’s a new Jeep, go to a local dealer and see if they can trade for it.

OP
Charlie_Boy7

Charlie_Boy7

Bacon FTW
Reaction score
Lol so get this. They called her back today. Said forget the money down, and they got a different lender to get her approved at a MUCH better rate than the pre approval, and they gave her the specifics. Did they cave because we turned away? Does it really have to be that extreme to get a good deal nowadays?

Out of 30 something cars 2 of mine came from a dealer. I'll be sticking to private sellers lol. I told her before she started this dealer shit is overrated even tho all of them aren't as bad

Shawn1112

Donating Member
Reaction score
nope, If you know roughly what your credit is they can tell you the rates without even running it
As soon as they ask to run my credit I tell them to fuck off and literally half the time those are my exact words. I tell them my wife and I both qualify for the best rates you can offer. So with that said lets work on the price of this vehicle.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
As soon as they ask to run my credit I tell them to fuck off and literally half the time those are my exact words. I tell them my wife and I both qualify for the best rates you can offer. So with that said lets work on the price of this vehicle.
I’m the same but I just straight up tell them my credit score, I negotiate the car on the phone, I don’t even test drive cars anymore I’ve already got my mind made up long before I start price shopping, when I bought my truck last spring one dealership was trying hard to get me to come there and test drive an f150, I just told them look I want one it’s new and I’m not that picky I won’t waste my time coming there unless you have the best price, once again rod baker hooked me up deal was done on the phone came in they made me an offer on my excursion I signed papers and drove my new truck home

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Lol so get this. They called her back today. Said forget the money down, and they got a different lender to get her approved at a MUCH better rate than the pre approval, and they gave her the specifics. Did they cave because we turned away? Does it really have to be that extreme to get a good deal nowadays?

Out of 30 something cars 2 of mine came from a dealer. I'll be sticking to private sellers lol. I told her before she started this dealer shit is overrated even tho all of them aren't as bad
The problem is, lenders are more and more stipulating that any loan they provide to you, that the car be from a dealership. Even your own bank sometimes will require this. I know Chase won't give you a loan to purchase from a private seller.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom