• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Non-Monsoon 98-02 Camaro Stereo Fixes and Upgrades

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I'm not a stereo guy by any means, but I am a bit particular in certain ways. First of all, I am generally not a fan of aftermarket head units. I'm not saying that good ones don't exist, but they don't usually match stock interiors and the quality just feels cheap in the buttons. I decided that I'd rather fix the factory Delco unit in my Camaro. Most of it's lights are burnt out, but it works fine otherwise. The lights are no biggie, but if I'm digging that far, why not add an AUX port? Both of these processes have been documented many times. However, I have seen very few AUX inputs installed in ways that meet my standards. I find the need to install a CD or a tape to listen to your phone to be a bit hacked, so I dug a little deeper.

So clearly, the sort of thing I want to do is a possibility. I was just hoping for some better road maps. I can't see anything in the video, and the thirdgen.org thread is not very detailed. Has anybody else done this sort of mod?

By the way, I have two blown factory speakers. Unfortunately, GM used 2 ohm speakers, so aftermarket replacements do not seem to exist. I don't want to have to crank the volume way up just to hear anything. I have that problem in the 240 and its super irritating. Does anybody have leads on 2 ohm speakers that don't cost an arm and a leg? If not, I'll just try to find some stock used speakers. Thanks.

Trip to Batesville 7-20.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
For your speaker situation you could just wire another 4ohm speaker in to each front in parallel
Huh. Never heard of doing that!

Still though. I started dealing with the dicks over at LS1tech over this issue. I did get some stupid advice as well as some good. In the end, I realized that I took a cheap and simple radio bulb replacement and turned it into a very involved and expensive project.

I still think this would be cool to do, but it would make more sense if I had a factory Bose or Monsoon system. I'm not going to spend over $100 in adapters (the easier way) to still have a system that's inferior in almost every way to a $40 job.

Sorry to be a buzzkill, but I'm actually choosing the easy route for once. I might still do this to the GN someday though. Stay tuned.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Huh. Never heard of doing that!

Still though. I started dealing with the dicks over at LS1tech over this issue. I did get some stupid advice as well as some good. In the end, I realized that I took a cheap and simple radio bulb replacement and turned it into a very involved and expensive project.

I still think this would be cool to do, but it would make more sense if I had a factory Bose or Monsoon system. I'm not going to spend over $100 in adapters (the easier way) to still have a system that's inferior in almost every way to a $40 job.

Sorry to be a buzzkill, but I'm actually choosing the easy route for once. I might still do this to the GN someday though. Stay tuned.

At that point I'd just skip the aux jack and probably add one of these or something similar (there's several designs on evilbay.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-...4e49bb17da07df82a092|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
That would be super nice for my garage stereo which sits up by the ceiling. The ultra long aux cord is a big PITA. My phone always seems to be dead anyway, and I can't charge it if I have an AUX adapter in.

They make some with a 2x50w (supposedly) amp built in. I have one out in the garage myself. Even with a remote they are under 20 bucks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• v6buicks
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list