🔧 BUILD NOMIEZVR4's Eventual MKIV Supra build

General Information

Picked up this car on Dec 14, 2020...WOW its already been over a year! I cant believe it. Its a 94 Targa original auto twin turbo. R-Title from previous owner. I've been so busy with life and other things(cars) I don't even have a list where I have all the details about this car in 1 place. Now this thread will be it.

So as mentioned 94 MKIV
Original TT
Automatic with 4k Stall converter
103XXX miles on the chassis
Black Interior
Car was repainted Viper Red prior to my ownership originally was renaissance red

The Good
Standalone ECU- aem v1
No name single turbo. Unsure of exhaust manifold, guessing PHR Torque? Its a log style
FMIC
HKS SSQV
Intake filter
Greddy EBC
FIC 780cc Injectors with aftermarket fuel rail
3" turboback exhaust- unsure of brand
Tien Coilovers
Sound system
Boost/Volt gauges
Wbo2 gauge
20" Enkei wheels
I think those are the major mechanical modifications. Not sure if OEM fuel pump or aftermarket. Tuned to just over 400whp

The car runs decent, tuned on 93 starts up every time and runs consistently for the most part with no major hiccups in driveability. Cosmetically its got a TRD style hood and rear spoiler, Bomex skirts and I believe a knock-off Ridox front bumper. Also has updated tail lamps I believe and chromed version headlamps. The front/rear spats came with the car, I have not put them on yet and I probably wont till I address the cosmetics.

The Bad
The auto trans is moody. Until and unless it doesn't get warmed up while idling for a good 10-15 minutes prior to driving, it doesn't like shifting out of 1st. I've checked trans fluid levels and it looks clean and is leveled. Sometimes on cold starts it shoots out a small puff of blue smoke. Its got some minor fluid leaks.

The Plan
I'm a simple guy, I didn't have grand plans for this car. I like to buy cars to drive them, IDGAF about buying cars and storing them for value. Life is too short for that. With that being said, Originally I wanted to have an OEM motor, 550-600whp single turbo manual supra. Emphasis was on having the best soundtrack the 2jz has to offer. The car would be a fair weather summer street car, focused on top down spirited driving. No drag racing goals, no autocross aspirations. Since this car is a R-Title and I'm trying to keep it budget friendly, I decided on a cd009 setup. I got a quote from Grannas for his t56 swap kit and it was close to 10k and it wasn't the top of the line spec'd out setup either. Disclaimer, Grannas products are amazing, i just didn't want to spend the coin. So I settled for a cd009 which is essentially a 350z 6 speed manual transmission.

Since the trans is the most painful part of the car currently, I found a deal for a cd009 and purchased the following:

-2005 G35 revised trans
-CBF cd009 shifter
-Colins 2jz to cd009 adapter plate
-A340 auto Flexplate with spacer
-Arp flywheel bolts
-Colins Stage 5 twin disk clutch 850tq
-TOB, 350z clutch fork, pivot ball, slave cylinder

That settles the drivetrain aspect of the car for the time being.

Regarding the soundtrack and power setup, Ideally I wanted a RPS manifold and Borg Warner turbo. The RPS turbo manifold has long been discontinued. So whatever is available, is used and typically has lots of miles on it and may have been repaired previously due to cracks and other wear and tear. Plus they had this issue of boost creep. And since supra tax is a real thing, they are very expensive now too. All those factors combined made my decision a little easier and I decided I would look for something else that will still sound good but without all the other baggage. After doing lots of research, i finalized my options down to 2 choices: Sp f1 and future fab. After watching videos and looking at prices, (both were going to be built on order) I decided on the future fab, it was this video that swayed my decision in the end, but both the FF and spf1 sound incredible.

Fortunately the Borg Warner Turbo's are still available so I went ahead an purchased it. s366 original cast wheel, t4 divided hotside and v-band outlet. More on this later. For the time being, this thread will focus on the auto to manual swap then the turbo swap followed by the cosmetics. To start things off I'll post some pictures prior to my purchase that the previous owner shared with me along with some pics under my ownership. Thanks and enjoy!

1688879960825.png

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
more updates to come shortly.

TB5HePE.jpg

WMcEIJv.jpg

kVegbro.jpg

KJtwFru.jpg

3Uldh2K.jpg

2Oe7su9.jpg

So prior to my ownership these were all shared with me. They did a good job with the paint, all new seals were purchased for the targa and the doors/windows. A few things im not a huge fan of are the TRD wing, hood, skirts and front bumper. Only reason i say that is because it seems like every mkiv you see nowdays is modified, I think seeing a stock-ish supra is a breath of fresh air. Additionally, the doors dont seem to close as nicely as they should, I need to adjust the doors/strikers so it has a nice seal without slamming the door shut, which I don't want to do.

For me, I would prefer a close to possible exterior stock looking MKIV thats lowered and tinted. Everything else I dont care for, something like this would make me content.
1643132914316.png

Down the line I do plan to get OEM front bumper and skirts, not sure how hard it is nowadays to source an OEM hood. I think spoilers can also be found relatively easily. Ive seen sets of OEM wheels but they are fetching close to 2k, for that price I think ill probably get something aftermarket unless I find a decent deal closer to 1k for factory wheels. I would prefer the non-chrome headlamps also. Alas for now, the car will remain how it is cosmetically. First order of business is to work on the manual swap.

My next post will be pictures of the car under my ownership, nothings changed really, ill just post some interior and misc pictures. Thanks and stay tuned!

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Down the line I do plan to get OEM front bumper and skirts, not sure how hard it is nowadays to source an OEM hood. I think spoilers can also be found relatively easily. Ive seen sets of OEM wheels but they are fetching close to 2k, for that price I think ill probably get something aftermarket unless I find a decent deal closer to 1k for factory wheels. I would prefer the non-chrome headlamps also. Alas for now, the car will remain how it is cosmetically. First order of business is to work on the manual swap.

My next post will be pictures of the car under my ownership, nothings changed really, ill just post some interior and misc pictures. Thanks and stay tuned!
When I fender bendered mine, parts werent hard but quality control wasn't great. I needed two hoods, b/c the first one sucked. I forget what came from where, but my bumper and hood came from both Japan and a US dealer.

Reactions: NOMIEZVR4

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
Welcome to the wonderful world of supra ownership.
You will get to experience such fun things as:
Hearing "Is that a Supra??!??!" about 6-7 times every time you drive it around.
Talking to one woman and 37 guys that "love that car so much" (seriously, guys are just drawn to the damn car)
Paying way too much for simple parts because of the Supra tax
Having to explain that not every Supra has 1k horsepower

If you are on facebook throw me your profile link, there is a supra chat group that is really helpful.
And this is me if you see the car around.
20200712_171003.jpg

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
I'm actually in the local supra chat. :) I just dont frequent fb much. Shiraz is my cousin, and im buddies with kyle as well. I know a bunch of other guys but they are all in the burbs and im in the city.

Tell me more about your car though
Oh, then we have talked before. Keith Kaye. Kyle is awesome.
I have the white 97 TT

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
cd009, 6 speed from a 350z.

Pros:
-relatively cheap compared to v160 and t56
-Known to reliably hold upwards of 700hp

Cons:
-In OEM configuration they come with a dual mass flywheel, so LW flywheels tend to make them noisey
-some people complain about the shifter mechanism being too close, I personally dont mind the tight gear selector
-when it comes to resale value and mkiv's the OEM trans or t56 is preferred. In the supra crowd if you aint spending big money, go home.

Caleb515

Addict
Aug 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Caleb
Friend of mine had a cd009 in his 500-550hp 1JZ IS300 and really liked it. I drove it quite a few times also and it felt great.
It's the best option IMO for a JZ these days compared to the ancient R154 or super expensive V160.

He had some issues with shifter placement in the beginning, but I know this will vary depending on the vehicle it's going in and I'm sure there are several relocation kits available in the market these days.

Hell of a garage lineup btw! ?

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
Friend of mine had a cd009 in his 500-550hp 1JZ IS300 and really liked it. I drove it quite a few times also and it felt great.
It's the best option IMO for a JZ these days compared to the ancient R154 or super expensive V160.

He had some issues with shifter placement in the beginning, but I know this will vary depending on the vehicle it's going in and I'm sure there are several relocation kits available in the market these days.

Hell of a garage lineup btw! ?
Yep..my thoughts exactly. The oem trans and t56 are nearly triple the cost. Im just looking for the manual experience. The serial9 shifter is the best setup for this trans. I may consider it down the line. For now my current setup should do the job.

And thanks, it's a blessing.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Can you post the shifter you think you’re going with? The cd009 is a very strong and worth while trans. Honestly I went t56 because as you said it seems to impact the value the most. I think people see the cd009 as the “cheap” alternative although there is nothing wrong with going that route, it’s just a perception thing.

My biggest gripe of the whole thing is the shifter makes or breaks the setup and the first one I had was the sikky and it sucked. Bolts would loosen up and then make the shift way sloppy. Had to drop the trans to tighten them back up. Big PiTA. I went with the magnum f with the direct shifter and it’s 100% better

Reactions: NOMIEZVR4

Thread Info