No Ranger Raptor fo the US

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/18/ford-ranger-raptor-not-united-states/

After the announcement of expanded Ford GT production and sales, Hermann Salenbauch, the vehicle line director for Ford Performance, spoke to us and other journalists about Ford Performance. Among the topics that came up was the Ford Ranger Raptor, and he had bad news for American fans of the wild little pickup: despite America's love of Raptor pickups, Ford has no plans to bring it to the United States.

He explained a few factors that have led the company to not plan a U.S. version. It is based on the global Ranger, and bringing the Raptor version up to U.S. requirements would apparently take enough time and money to make bringing it here prohibitive.

Though he didn't specifically mention it, one of the big issues would probably be the Ranger Raptor's powertrain, a twin-turbo 2.0-liter diesel four-cylinder not offered here. He also noted that the Ranger Raptor was really developed for locations where the F-150 isn't available or popular, so that all regions could have a Raptor. Here in America, the F-150 is, obviously, really popular and there's loads of demand for the F-150 Raptor. During today's GT announcement, Ford executives noted that the F-150 Raptor only stays on dealer lots for an average of 20 days.

These are the only reasons Salenbauch gave for why the Ranger Raptor isn't in the cards for the United States, but we can think of others. One serious issue would possibly be the Ranger Raptor's cost, as it might be too close to that of the F-150 Raptor. The closest American-market analog to the Ranger Raptor, the Chevrolet Colorado ZR2, starts at about $42,000, which is only about $8,000 less than the roughly $50,000 Ford F-150 Raptor. For consumers, that's not that much of a jump to get a bigger, badder truck. And for Ford, given that 20-day dealer dwell time, why bother creating less profitable in-store competition when people seem to be quite happy shelling out 50 grand for an F-150 Raptor?

Of course, we would still love to see the Ranger Raptor come here. We love variety and having as many fun vehicle options as possible, but our hearts aren't usually great for business decisions. One thing to note is that Salenbauch didn't say the Ranger Raptor would never come here, and he and other Ford executives said they're always listening to feedback and open to new models. So maybe one could show up at some point, but at least for the near future, we won't be seeing a Ranger Raptor in the United States.

98GrandPrixIraqVet

Reaction score
Proof yet again Ford is a disaster right now.

The Ghost GT500 and now this. :picard:

And "roughly" 50k Raptor F150 Ummmnnn yeah right more like 60k Raptor F150.

Under even 57-58k are few and far inbetween.

Frostopsy

Reaction score
Ford is nuts, just wait until the price of gas goes to $5 and they have 0 cars to sell because they went all truck.

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
Disappointing!

I was hesitant to buy my F150 because I really wanted to see the Ranger Raptor first. Glad I didn't wait.

EmersonHart13

AKA Emerballs & Emerstaxxx
Donating Member
Reaction score
This is excellent news.

I dunno why, I just felt like posting that

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Ford is building the vehicles their high tower bean counter bosses want to build rather than the cars that most Americans want that would bring brand loyalty.

So stupid.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom