No more aftermarket heads?

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
From what I've seen around Facebook, nobody is selling the aluminum or ported iron 3800 heads anymore. Like most 3800 doobs, I had neither the intentions nor the need to buy any ported parts, but the news still makes me sad for some reason. Some of the pictures I had seen of the terrible aluminum castings made me wonder how ZZP could justify that kind of price tag anyway. I guess I just hate to see the community actively shrinking.

• Sad
Reactions: TurboTPI

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I know zzp quit making aluminum heads. They still might have a few sets to sell. I haven't heard that they quit selling iron heads though.

The only issue I saw with the aluminum heads was the injector bung sometimes ran into the larger intake port and caused a small hole in the bung. It might look goofy, but it's not really an issue. Was there something else?

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I know zzp quit making aluminum heads. They still might have a few sets to sell. I haven't heard that they quit selling iron heads though.

The only issue I saw with the aluminum heads was the injector bung sometimes ran into the larger intake port and caused a small hole in the bung. It might look goofy, but it's not really an issue. Was there something else?
That was the only problem I remember seeing in the picture. I'm not even trying to shame ZZP for selling them that way. I get that small runs of castings are super pricey, and fixing something trivial like that is WAY more time and money than it's worth. It's just hard not to compare to similarly priced aftermarket heads from other platforms.

Maybe the ported heads are still out there, but I didn't see them on ZZPs new site.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
They used to sell them cheaper than the current price. They revised them a few years ago and made them better flowing out of the box. I wonder if that drove the price up.

They had a good deal on them two black fridays ago. I should have bought a set. But it's so much more cost effective to just turn up the boost a little.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I hear you. I feel kinda the same way. I've also seen some people on Facebook snatching up the last shipment for the builds they're "planning". This leads me to believe that some of them will be for sale second hand pretty soon. Lol. Even then I probably won't be buying them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• v6buicks
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list