• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Nitrous tune question

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
No. Nitrous tunes are only at wide open throttle when nitrous should only be used of course

I've never used nitrous but I'd imagine a nitrous tune would run less timing and be more conservative when not on the spray compared with an all-out naturally aspirated tune. That is, if you don't have an external timing controller or some way of switching tunes.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Go onto LS1Tech and look up my HOW TO: thread on how to build your own Nitrous Timing Retard box. There was some quite constructive discussion that myself and a few other members had regarding how it can be setup for differing vehicles. It can be configured for multiple stages and multiple different timing retardation settings and requires about $20 in parts and about a beer's worth of time to do while BS'ing at your coffee table. This coupled with the corresponding tune modifications will allow for full timing while not spraying and automatically retarded timing on the shot. The basic gist is that it modifies the IAT signal when activated, which in turn makes the ECU pull timing in that section of the IAT spark table in the tune which keeps things safe.

With that said, since the total retardation of spark timing is only likely to be 2-5 degrees, and only in the cylinder load and RPM areas of the High Octane Spark table that pertain to "when" you are spraying the shot, even if you didn't do a timing retard box like I previously mentioned, your car won't be super sluggish or anything. It will leave a little power on the table up top, but not really sacrifice much on the bottom end unless you spray your shot directly off of the launch. Either way, NONE of this will be so much so as to affect driveability. Good luck and have fun!

EDIT: If you use EFILive instead of HPT to tune your car, then there is a section of the tune that can be dedicated to nitrous timing retardation if a certain unused pin from the ECU is grounded. I haven't personally set a tune up with it yet, and thus do not know off the top of my head what cars are and aren't supported with the "unused ECU pin" approach, but it may be worth looking into if that is the tuning platform used.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
There are a lot of answers to this question, and all of them are "it depends"

Timing is going to be pulled to spray, which without spray means the car is making less power. There are ways to trigger the system which you can have it pull timing only when the system is armed, leaving the tune unaffected for normal or WOT conditions.

School Boy

Spray the cubic inch at it!
Mar 28, 2011
I would just leave the timing pulled. With my nitrous cars i leave the timing pulled at all times. I dont mess around with timing retard boxes or anything like that. But i dont race people unless im spraying the car. As far as drivablity there is 0 difference, you just leave a little bit of power on the table which doesnt bother me at all.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info