3800 Nitrous - General Questions

markymarc

Regular
Dec 17, 2008
I've been considering acquiring a 'conservative' nitrous system, say a 35 or 50 shot. Given my modifications, even at this low psi, am I taking too much of a risk? I am looking for a little extra something, a push of sorts, not a punch in the arm.

Are additional modifications necessary?

Is it not worth the cost with such a low shot? In other words, is the marginal benefit not worth it...

Finally what kind of cost am I looking at?

rjaz gtp

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2008
Naperville
Well I would say if you are going to use NOS I would go with a conservative setup like ZEX. I know they computer control the nitrous amounts at WOT and kind of dummy proof you from blowing up your car. Their kit is really simple to install and I think would be beneficial. I know some will say using NOS is cheating, but its not like you are going to go around spraying everyday. It just looks like you are wanting a little extra HP every now and then... ;)

my two cents...

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Originally posted by Dom87SS+Nov 22 2005, 04:07 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-J.E.T.
@Nov 22 2005, 02:11 PM
NOS is for cheaters and ricers.  That's all I got to say. pppffftttt.
[snapback]104574[/snapback]​

nitrous makes cars fast. you just have to know what your doing.
[snapback]104590[/snapback]​
[/b]

I'm just trying to start a fire :) . I run the NOS system in my car now.

Just to let you know Marc, you will start with a low shot like you planned, but then you will want more and more. Here's what you'll be thinking: "My car handled the 55 shot with no problems - I think I'll up it to 75!" Be careful. Power corrupts! :lol:

I have the ZEX 75hp dry shot on my 98 GTP right now..I would HIGHLY recommend this system. Be sure to gap your plugs down to about 35-40 thousanths. If not, the nitrous will kill the spark and you'll get a misfire. I run a 3.4" pulley which reads about 11lbs of boost on my gauge, when I spray the 75 shot it jumps to about 15-16lbs. I dropped half a second in the 1/4 with this kit. If you have any ?s about the install..lemme know..it takes some finesse, but it's overall pretty simple.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by bgoza86@Nov 30 2005, 09:15 AM
I have the ZEX 75hp dry shot on my 98 GTP right now..I would HIGHLY recommend this system.  Be sure to gap your plugs down to about 35-40 thousanths.  If not, the nitrous will kill the spark and you'll get a misfire.  I run a 3.4" pulley which reads about 11lbs of boost on my gauge, when I spray the 75 shot it jumps to about 15-16lbs.  I dropped half a second in the 1/4 with this kit.  If you have any ?s about the install..lemme know..it takes some finesse, but it's overall pretty simple.
[snapback]105394[/snapback]​
yeah becareful get a afc or a powertuner to tune fuel, and a timing comm.or happy knob to lower the WOT timming a bit(if not a using a software tuner)

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Originally posted by 98GTPquickRB@Nov 30 2005, 06:47 PM
if you run your plugs at that small a gap, what does that do for normal driving conditions?
[snapback]105472[/snapback]​

Smaller gapped plugs will run fine under normal driving. However, you will have to replace then sooner than normal because they will foul up faster. I replace mine after every bottle of nitrous and every season change. So that means new plugs at least (minimum) 4 times a year. $12 bucks for a set - 30 min to change. Why not.

J.E.T.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by J.E.T.+Nov 30 2005, 08:58 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-98GTPquickRB
@Nov 30 2005, 06:47 PM
if you run your plugs at that small a gap, what does that do for normal driving conditions?

Smaller gapped plugs will run fine under normal driving. However, you will have to replace then sooner than normal because they will foul up faster. I replace mine after every bottle of nitrous and every season change. So that means new plugs at least (minimum) 4 times a year. $12 bucks for a set - 30 min to change. Why not.

J.E.T.
[snapback]105480[/snapback]​
[/b]
is there a gap change need for meth/water injection like devils own kit?

anyone?

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by J.E.T.+Nov 30 2005, 07:58 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-98GTPquickRB
@Nov 30 2005, 06:47 PM

J.E.T.
[snapback]105480[/snapback]​
[/b]

Every bottle?

GTPPWR

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2008
Rockford, IL
get an NX incognito kit. small 1lbs bottle, completely portable with a 50 shot. I just bought this for my dailey driver(passat). runs off of 2 9v batteries. I liked it, it can fit in a small backpack. weighs les than 2 pounds. It is really ingenious design. not a sneeky pete setup. more advanced.

it is upgradeable. if you need it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info