Nissan entering "stock" GT-R in 24 Hours of Nürburgring

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I agree with the brake and safety equipment changes. I would have to say the downforce mods should go though.

A: Gotta have safety equipment, wouldn't wanna push a car for 24 hours like that and not have a cage.

B: Brakes are important, the 'Ring will punish the stock brakes and tires into submission, no way would they last long enough to even make a decent showing.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
DCT, no torque converter. Significantly less heat generation.

In addition these already run an oil to water cooler. I think that should be sufficient.

Nissan R35 GT-R
On the track, the R35 GT-R is infamous for overheating issues with its twin-clutch transmission. When driven under extreme conditions, high temperatures switch the trans into auto mode, automatically up-shifting to Sixth gear until it has cooled off. After numerous laps around Japan's Fuji Speedway, HKS engineers data-logged the factory R35 GT-R's transmission oil temperature as it triggered a "fail safe" mode at 140-145 degrees Celsius (284 to 293 degrees Fahrenheit). Elevated clutch temperatures also caused the vehicle to automatically switch from all-wheel drive to two-wheel drive, even when the transmission oil temperatures were recorded below 140 degree Celsius (284 degree Fahrenheit).

HKS' recently released DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) Cooler Kit effectively cools the transmission and keeps oil temperatures low even during prolonged circuit use. Integrated with the factory water-cooled transmission cooler, the DCT Cooler Kit also assists in reducing the GT-R's overall engine coolant temperature.

HKS designed the DCT cooler core to fit within the car's front left fender, and sit enshrouded in a specially designed Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) air duct which directs airflow into it. The transmission's stock heat exchanger and HKS thermostat are integrated into the DCT Cooler, along with a specially designed oil outlet attachment that allows the cooler to stabilize oil temperature in a shorter amount of time than the OE unit. A set of -10 AN oil lines replace smaller factory lines to reduce resistance and increase flow, ensuring proper oil supply to and from the transmission. During testing at Fuji Speedway, water temperature was reduced by an average of five degrees Celsius (41 degrees Fahrenheit), enabling the GT-R to make continuous laps around the circuit while maintaining a constant oil temperature of 127 degrees Celsius (260 degrees Fahrenheit).

Read more: Top Five Overheating Cars And How To Keep Them Alive - Import Tuner Magazine

ef_vtak

Power of Dreams
Mar 25, 2009
interesting, i didn't realize the overheating issues can be significant enough to trigger failsafes... i am curious what their definition of numerous laps is since the rest of the segment is an ad for HKS. have they respec'd the oil to water exchanger over the years? i'll have to look more into this later.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info