• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

NGK TR55 to TR6 plug change on H/C LS1 (no n2o). Any difference? Yes..

R6cowboy

Captain Motivation
Sep 28, 2011
Mendota IL
Thought I'd post this and maybe it'll possibly help someone out as well. Sunday, I swapped out the NGK TR55 spark plugs with one heat range colder NGK TR6 plugs in a stock bottom end LS1 C5 Corvette with ported heads, cam, intake, headers, etc, which makes 430whp & 400wtq and has a 10.8:1 compression ratio. TR6 plugs were recommended by Brandon at Fast Motorsports might I add (who previously tuned the car). First, the TR55 plugs I removed were gapped at .055, had approximately 7k miles of use and were inspected closely and looked excellent when removed. With the TR55 plugs the engine made a not loud but noticeable ticking noise (what I always thought was valvetrain noise due to the aggressive Torquer v3 cam & dual springs) and the car surged very little at lower rpm's. With the TR6 plugs gapped at .045, the difference was quite surprising, IMO anyways. The noticeable ticking noise is gone, completely. With the engine running I had to concentrate to hear any ticking from the valvetrain. Sounds very quiet compared to before. And the best part, there is no more bucking at lower rpm's under normal driving. In lower gears (1, 2, 3) I had to get rpm's down near 1k or under to get any bucking out of it. Definitely a $20 well spent.

RossiGTP

Young Gun
Oct 23, 2008
Portage
Real Name
Cody Rossi
Don't mean to thread jack but, when is it a good idea to go colder on plugs? I assume my car has stock plugs in it from the guy I bought it from. It's a stock heads, cammed, tuned, car with 1 7/8s and other typical mods ls firebird. Would I benefit from dropping to the TR6s? I've also heard good things about them and brandon from fast got my dad to switch to them when he had is trailblazer as tuned by him.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Before I swapped the plugs, I had no idea it would've had an effect on the ticking noise. Could anyone elaborate on this?

Ticking might have also been a plug with cracked porcelain, that's happened to me once.

This, or your gap was too big and the spark was jumping out to ground. A spark jumping will sound like a "tick" or a "snap"

Next time try the iridium plugs, I've out 50k of abuse on my TR6ix plugs and they are still good (I swap em out for colder plugs at the track though)

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
huh, same deal on an LT1 and 5.3L? Would you think that the tighter gap is affecting my fuel economy or power? Both my 97 SS and 02 Silverado are running TR6s gapped to .035 I believe. Both are just full exhaust and tune cars basically.

I would try a TR55's for bolt on LS cars. That gap is too low.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info