Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

The next-gen Subaru WRX and WRX STI will allegedly both use versions of the brand's 2.4-liter turbocharged flat-four engine, according to Japanese site Car Sensor. Three turbocharged powerplants will motivate 80 percent of the automaker's lineup by 2021.

The FA24 2.4-liter turbo flat-four is already familiar from models like the Ascent, Legacy, and Outback. It produces 260 horsepower (194 kilowatts) and 277 pound-feet of torque in all three of these models. The new WRX and WRX STI reportedly use a high-output version of this mill.

A rumor suggests this high-output FA24 could make 400 hp (298 kW) and 361 lb-ft (490 Nm) of torque. To handle the extra power, there would be parts like stronger internals, different valves, and more boost.

There are allegedly three reasons for switching to the FA24 for the next-gen WRX and STI. First, it's more efficient than the earlier engines. Also, Subie is less concerned with international motorsports where the rules generally favor a 2.0-liter displacement. Finally, folks outside of Japan are used to a WRX STI with a 2.5-liter powerplant, and these customers are accustomed to the drivability of a larger displacement engine.

A six-speed manual would remain available for them. According to Car Sensor, the existing CVT can only handle up to 295 lb-ft (400 Nm). It's not clear how Subie intends to handle this issue.

A rumor suggests that Toyota is offering some input into the new WRX and STI, including using advanced all-wheel-drive tech. This system might have something in common with the Yaris WRC's system.

In addition, a new 1.5-liter turbocharged flat-four will replace models with the current naturally-aspirated boxer engine, so it'll likely be in future versions of the Impreza and Crosstrek. Plus, there will be a 1.8-liter turbocharged flat-four that will power the next Levorg, according to Car Sensor.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
giphy.gif

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Same reason a Miata doesn’t have 400hp :dunno:

Does Mazda currently have even a 300hp engine in their arsenal available that would fit the Miata?

Im not saying everything needs 400hp.

The BRZ FRS meh prolly not.

However the Sti absoultely needs it to stay competitive in its own market.

You cant tell me sales wouldnt benefit from an updated engine with 100 more hp from an engine they already have readily available and needs what like zero R&D?

They dont need to clean slate develop an engine. Its already there just never offered in that chassis.

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
Same reason a Miata doesn’t have 400hp :dunno:

Old white guys don't need 400hp.

You cant tell me sales wouldnt benefit from an updated engine with 100 more hp from an engine they already have readily available and needs what like zero R&D?

They dont need to clean slate develop an engine. Its already there just never offered in that chassis.

YES!!!

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Does Mazda currently have even a 300hp engine in their arsenal available that would fit the Miata?

Im not saying everything needs 400hp.

The BRZ FRS meh prolly not.

However the Sti absoultely needs it to stay competitive in its own market.

I’m just pointing out that the Miata has been around forever and seems to sell well enough to just make the same car with minor updates for years and years.

The brz seems to sell just as well as any other Subaru. They’ve always been a low volume car company.

and I’m not saying I don’t think it SHOULD have more hp, just that there seems to be a market. :dunno:

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
I’m just pointing out that the Miata has been around forever and seems to sell well enough to just make the same car with minor updates for years and years.

The brz seems to sell just as well as any other Subaru. They’ve always been a low volume car company.

and I’m not saying I don’t think it SHOULD have more hp, just that there seems to be a market. :dunno:

Seems to sell well enough that it was farmed out to Fiat to sell more units?

:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
It's just not the point of the Miata, BRZ/86, among others. Go watch a spec Miata race, and you'll see some of the most fun racing you'll ever see. They aren't going fast, but it's extremely exciting.

I know this is a generally VERY uncommon opinion but driving a slow car fast>>>>>>>>>>>fast car fast.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
It's just not the point of the Miata, BRZ/86, among others. Go watch a spec Miata race, and you'll see some of the most fun racing you'll ever see. They aren't going fast, but it's extremely exciting.

I know this is a generally VERY uncommon opinion but driving a slow car fast>>>>>>>>>>>fast car fast.

Huh im not talking anything spec racing. Im talking segment sales what does the Sti even compete against in that segment? The evo is no longer made so its against 4 cylinder pony cars now? :dunno:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Thats the point.. what does the STI compete with? Are people really cross shopping a 4 door fun car vs a Mustang/Camaro? More HP = higher insurance and the STI already has awful insurance rates.

despite most people thinking it... more hp does not directly correlate to higher insurance

sti has awful insurance because every flat billed dork gets in vapin' thinking he is ken block and send'ser right into fuckin' anything and everything.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Huh im not talking anything spec racing. Im talking segment sales what does the Sti even compete against in that segment? The evo is no longer made so its against 4 cylinder pony cars now? :dunno:

It's just proving the point that more power does not always equate to more fun. And if people want to go faster in Miata's, BRZ's, STI's, or anything, there is a giant aftermarket.

90%+ people are going to be more than happy with the performance out of the box, and the rest can throw on a supercharger or turbo kit.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Isn't the STi using like a 10+ year old engine? They updated the body with the last refresh but kept the exact same engine from the previous model. Makes exact same HP/TQ/ MPGs as before.
Yea they’ve been using a variant of the ej257 since the usdm sti inception in 2004. Who knows why but clearly they think it’s fine :dunno:

it would be awesome to have a high hp version of the FA24 in it. It so far seems like a stout engine compared to the ej257

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info