Newish looking VW CC 2.0t...junk?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Saw a CC leaving the train station today. Obviously it was a cold start, ran for 10 sec, pulled out of its spot in front of me and poured all sorts of smoke out the tail pipe. How could such a new car kick out smoke like this? Both blue and white smoke (not condensation either) came out of this thing.

What gives? Is that normal for these motors? Or was this one hurt somehow?

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
There are 2 different kinds of 2.0T's IIRC, TFSI and TSI?

One of them had some bad cam follower issues that lead to oil burning IIRC (or maybe both?)

Or am I way off?

I think I read about some sort of "Diverter valve" issue also they were known for that could cause oil burning...

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
:rofl:

we had one when i was at enterprise. it had 250 miles on it, stopped running and had some "catastrophic" engine failure... (thats all the vw dealer would tell us :rofl:)

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
I had a 2012 VW Tiguan press car that went into limp home mode with less than 1,000 miles on it. Locked out transmission gears, throttle and just let it crawl along. We had to leave it in the parking garage for a week because our fleet couldn't pick it up. Car still hasn't re-appeared in the media fleet.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Also, a few weeks before that we had a VW Jetta GLI with a door handle that just fell off. Had to put tape over the lock opening so it wouldn't let rain inside the car.

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
I'm amazed that VW's quality and reliability hasn't been hurt by their decreases in price..... Oh wait.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Their reliability has always been shit. It's actually better now than it was before :rofl:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Vw's are known for running hella rich, in and out of open loop. However, it's much worse from a cold start. I'm also sure the person was in a hurry, just like anyone leaving a train station after work. Turbo car + open loop + VW engine management = Hellllllla rich as hell.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure my ecoboost doesn't do that! LIKE A BOSS

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'll bet it does, right after it's first started and you basically floor it (usually trans station exit style) it'll spew black smoke. Most cars will, you just probably noticed the VW cause it's 10x worse :rofl:

muskie

Reaction score
TFSI was in the MK5 stuff. Like pre 2009 and those had cam follower problems. This is the same motor in the Golf R...supposedly redesigned to fix that.

As for the CC I beleive those are either a VR6 in the older ones and the 2.0 TSI in the newer ones. As far as I know from my GTI which is the same motor they have water pump issues for certain build dates. Only thing I can think of.

Mike K

Forum Sponsor
Reaction score
The CC is a baller looking car and the newer ones are even nicer.

I would suspect it's just because it's running cold. Pretty typical.

radioguy6

Reaction score
my gf almost bought a used CC. Nice looking cars, but small on the inside. She was looking at the 2.0T.

Primalzer

Reaction score
Seems just like another reason why VW's are overrated. I'm pretty sure everyone has a story of a new or couple year old VW having serious problems. I know that all car makers do, but it just seems like VW has more catastrophic failures than others. :dunno: The reason why I will never own a newer VW out of warranty

OP
Eagle

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They def smoke some (read: run rich) but I don't know about blue/white smoke like the VW did.

You can look at the tailpipe on the truck and quite clearly see soot on it.

Dan00Hawk

Reaction score
Seems just like another reason why VW's are overrated. I'm pretty sure everyone has a story of a new or couple year old VW having serious problems. I know that all car makers do, but it just seems like VW has more catastrophic failures than others. :dunno: The reason why I will never own a newer VW out of warranty
I've got a 2007 GTI 2.0t with 66k on it without having any serious problems or "catastrophic failures". So next time, you can say that not everyone has a story of having serious problems. :wavey:

I've replaced the cam follower as preventive maintenance (showed a bit of wear at 40,000 miles, but I could've left it in). It's been reflashed with an APR tune and runs well and good mpg and I drive the car fairly aggressively. I've certainly heard plenty of electrical nightmares on 10 year old Veedubs, but I wouldn't hesitate to get another VW with the 2.0t. Just my opinion as an actual owner. :smile:

Primalzer

Reaction score
I've got a 2007 GTI 2.0t with 66k on it without having any serious problems or "catastrophic failures". So next time, you can say that not everyone has a story of having serious problems. :wavey:

I've replaced the cam follower as preventive maintenance (showed a bit of wear at 40,000 miles, but I could've left it in). It's been reflashed with an APR tune and runs well and good mpg and I drive the car fairly aggressively. I've certainly heard plenty of electrical nightmares on 10 year old Veedubs, but I wouldn't hesitate to get another VW with the 2.0t. Just my opinion as an actual owner. :smile:
I'm not saying everyone has problems, but knows someone personally (not on the forum) that has

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom