đź‘‹ INTRO Newbie to the area.

Squeaky192

Regular
Oct 4, 2022
Fox River Grove
I just made the move up to Chicagoland for work from Fort Worth, TX after being there about 8.5 years - randomly came across this forum and was pleasantly surprised to see it's so active. I've worked in the auto aftermarket industry for 9 years now, was with Painless Wiring forever and made the move up to work for Roadster Shop here in June.

Current fleet:
1971 Z28 - matching numbers car that I "ruined" by LS swapping and beating on, have about 24k miles on it since 2016.
2020 Volvo V60 T5 - I'm weirdly a big GM guy, then a big Volvo guy. Have had 4 of the P80 chassis cars and decided after not being a fan of the Acura RDX I had bought that I wanted to get back into a wagon.
2007 GMC Sierra classis crew cab - I'm a huge fan of the NBS trucks, picked this one up in 2018 in Texas. Rust free, never has seen salt, and will stay in the garage all winter here.
1998 Volvo V70 GLT - Winter beater I snagged when I moved up here to keep the nice stuff nice.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - basically a big dirtbike that somehow hasn't gotten me in trouble as of yet.

Anyways, glad to be up in the area and on the forum.

Pic of the Z, I'll add more later (this burnout was sanctioned by the event staff, lol):

135347267_10157412438137352_1249830334229603377_n.jpg

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
But fuck.. Another Volvo guy...

:wavey:

I love it when old Timers say "ya ruined it wares the 327 4 barrel double pumpper 218hp break the tyres loose"
More importantly than that probably is that it's a wagon. TCG has a serious thing for wagons. I'd totally hit a V70 with a B8444S swap from an S80 or XC90.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Hey fellow GM/Volvo guy!

I'm a bigger fan of the classic Volvo variety but the further I push past 200k in in my P1 the more I'm starting to feel like it's worth buying struts for it. ?

Welcome to the garage.
If it was like my XC90 the strut mounts are shit and need replaced. I'd check those before the struts. May well be a pain in the dick enough to be worth buying struts and springs if you can get em pre-assembled instead of having to spring compressor em. I got a press out of the deal though.

Reactions: v6buicks

Squeaky192

Regular
Oct 4, 2022
Fox River Grove
Hey fellow GM/Volvo guy!

I'm a bigger fan of the classic Volvo variety but the further I push past 200k in in my P1 the more I'm starting to feel like it's worth buying struts for it. ?

Welcome to the garage.
I can see that. This '98 I bought has the typical super noise upper strut bushing/bearing noise. It also vibrates like hell on acceleration - planning to get under it and see if a CV shaft is destroyed. I bought it in July but had title issues so I just let it sit until finally getting that sorted. Now that it's registered I can get to work on it before winter hits.

IMG_5358.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
If it was like my XC90 the strut mounts are shit and need replaced. I'd check those before the struts. May well be a pain in the dick enough to be worth buying struts and springs if you can get em pre-assembled instead of having to spring compressor em. I got a press out of the deal though.
My noise is for sure the mounts but my car pogos really bad too. I'm not bothering to take that car apart unless I'm doing both. Haha

Thread Info