• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Newbie SN95 Cobra questions

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
I'm looking to get a SN95 that can crack the 12's in the 1/4 mile and would like to be able to do a mid 11 with the appropriate tires. I am really new to these cars but decided to try after seeing a lot available used with power adders.

My first question is there any really big difference between the 96-98 Cobras performance wise? Any year had any bigger weakness in the drivetrain? What besides supercharger (how much boost should I try) will I need to get the times I am looking for? I have done some browsing but many are talking about 500-800hp which is out of my interest and budget (for now). I want to get there as cheap as possible but would like to retain stock or reasonable gear ratio for highway cruising if possible. The combination would have to be able to pass emission tests locally.

Thanks

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
The 96 Cobras sometimes had some cooling issues, but otherwise the 96/97 Cobras are very similar and use a returnless style fuel setup. This setup is better suited for power adders compared to the 98's. The 98 Cobras have a return style but also have a basket that the fuel pump sits in. The OEM pump is a 190lph pump. A Walbro 255 pump will not fit without modifying the basket. It is too tall. The 2002-2006 Lincoln Aviator has a 270lph fuel pump that fits and is plug and play. Only fault here is that it can suck the basket dry of fuel, burning up the pump. You can drill holes in the basket, which helps.

The 96-98 Cobra Mod Motors lack torque so you will need a pretty steep gear if you want to get into your power band quickly if you are NA, blown, or on the spray. When I say steep I am talking about 4.10's at a minimum. If you go the turbo route, you can probably get away with a lesser gear.

There really is only 1 option for a positive displacement blower on these cars and that is the 2.1 KB. This blower has big limitations and I would suggest staying away from it. Nothing else in the positive displacement blower arena will work on these cars without a ton of modifications.

Unless you plan on doing head work, cams, and a bunch of weight reduction, going NA will be just as expensive if not more as a power adder and much more work. You can certainly get there with spray, but if you do the spray right with all of the necessary parts/safety stuff it puts you almost in blower territory money wise. Turbo stuff I cannot really speak on much since I never planned on going that route.

I went with a centri setup and made great power. In fact my limitation right now is my stock bottom end. If that was built I could easily push around 550+ rwhp. I have not gotten to the track yet, but I would think my car is more than capable of what you are looking to do. I spent under 5K for my setup.

Here is my build thread......

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/for...64-quest-mo-powa-my-paxton-novi-2k-build.html

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
I appreciate that suggestion. I actually like the F bodies too, my first project was a 83 Camaro V-6 that I had some backyard alley shop drop in a built 350 from an 69 Nova that I used to embarrass the then new Trans Am GTA's then until I started blowing parts (trans, rear end). Maybe my next project will be with the LS1's I read am article online in Hot Rod mag where they used junk yard parts and a turbo and made almost 600 hp with one.

Not trying to be a derp but if you haven't bought a sn95 yet maybe consider an ls1 fbody. Stall, a couple bolt ons, Lower control arms and a sticky tire will get you deep into the 12's for cheap.

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
Thanks for the info and the thread now I found a blue print to what I am looking to do. I will hopefully try to do it without a 4.10 gear because the last car I had with that gear would really wind out on the highway when I was running late to work at 80mph!
The 96 Cobras sometimes had some cooling issues, but otherwise the 96/97 Cobras are very similar and use a returnless style fuel setup. This setup is better suited for power adders compared to the 98's. The 98 Cobras have a return style but also have a basket that the fuel pump sits in. The OEM pump is a 190lph pump. A Walbro 255 pump will not fit without modifying the basket. It is too tall. The 2002-2006 Lincoln Aviator has a 270lph fuel pump that fits and is plug and play. Only fault here is that it can suck the basket dry of fuel, burning up the pump. You can drill holes in the basket, which helps.

The 96-98 Cobra Mod Motors lack torque so you will need a pretty steep gear if you want to get into your power band quickly if you are NA, blown, or on the spray. When I say steep I am talking about 4.10's at a minimum. If you go the turbo route, you can probably get away with a lesser gear.

There really is only 1 option for a positive displacement blower on these cars and that is the 2.1 KB. This blower has big limitations and I would suggest staying away from it. Nothing else in the positive displacement blower arena will work on these cars without a ton of modifications.

Unless you plan on doing head work, cams, and a bunch of weight reduction, going NA will be just as expensive if not more as a power adder and much more work. You can certainly get there with spray, but if you do the spray right with all of the necessary parts/safety stuff it puts you almost in blower territory money wise. Turbo stuff I cannot really speak on much since I never planned on going that route.

I went with a centri setup and made great power. In fact my limitation right now is my stock bottom end. If that was built I could easily push around 550+ rwhp. I have not gotten to the track yet, but I would think my car is more than capable of what you are looking to do. I spent under 5K for my setup.

Here is my build thread......

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/for...64-quest-mo-powa-my-paxton-novi-2k-build.html

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info