New York City Imposing Congestion Tax on Drivers

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
N.Y.C. is imposing a congestion tax on people who drive into the city.

While the price has not been set in stone for New York, a report commissioned by Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s office recommends cars entering Manhattan during peak hours be charged $11.52, and trucks be charged $25.34 – on top of any bridge tolls.
Critics say people only drive into the city because they need to and imposing a tax will not help improve congestion. It will, however, give N.Y.C. a big chunk of change every day.

You guys think Chicago is watching? How long until it costs you $10 to drive into Chicago?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/congestion-tax-on-drivers-gains-steam-in-big-cities-after-new-york-approves-plan

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
I had someone mention there were 13 million commuters to me to NYC yesterday. Think about that. probably 1/4 BN every DAY. That's how to hollow out a city. The whole "give us your damn money and get out" mentality is one reason I hate going to Chicago.

lastls1

Reaction score
Was only a matter of time. London has had a congestion charge for quite a long time and it’s not cheap either.

The only vehicles except were hybrid and electric cars. And I think some other small or green type vehicles? I think it was more about pollution in London..... or at least they sold it that way.

lastls1

Reaction score
I will say though...... a charge on top of bridge and tunnel charges is completely asinine.

It was something like 15 dollars for me to use the tunnel a few months back when I was there. So you are going to charge 15 to enter the tunnel then another 12 on the other side?

Fuck that shit

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Donating Member
Reaction score
Tax tax tax....doesn't surprise me but damn... They'll tax anything!

b00sted

He's Still Your President
Reaction score
I've already seen people mentioning doing this in Chicago. They live in a bubble where they believe that since they don't need a car, neither does anyone else...so we should punish anyone that *chooses* to use one.

edit: Not sure how they'd enforce this. There's too many ways in and out of the downtown area...You'd have to put cameras everywhere to try and catch the vehicles.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
Donating Member
Reaction score
It’s not if Chicago will talk about a similar tax but more of a when question. Chicago talked about this type of tax years ago.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Reaction score
So you are going to tax me to:

- use the expressway to / from the city (tolls)
- enter / exit the city
- park in the city
- not to mention a higher sales tax

Ah, fuck no, I’ll spend my money in the burbs.

MrDragster1970

Reaction score

AGAIN, the thought of lowering spending never crosses these POS liberals minds!!!
Just more and more stealing, and more & more spending.
They know they have to bribe their voters, or they will sit on their fat lazy ass and stay home,
people with normal intelligence vote for what's best for the country.
Even if it causes them a hardship!!!

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
The thing with Manhattan though, is that it essentially is an island and there are only a few ways to get in/out via automobile. So they can effectively "trap" you.

Chicago would have a VERY hard time trying to block every road in and out of the city to try and implement this.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Required transponders in every car and scanners on every road?

With expensive tickets if you don't buy a transponder? That's how I'd do it. Make the money no matter what.

Plus you can give out "exempt" transponders to deserving people like government employees and politically connected people.

Eventually, you could have enough scanners to record speed and traffic laws. Red light cameras taken to the extreme. Lots of $$

Intel

Reaction score
I had someone mention there were 13 million commuters to me to NYC yesterday. Think about that. probably 1/4 BN every DAY. That's how to hollow out a city. The whole "give us your damn money and get out" mentality is one reason I hate going to Chicago.
Not sure where that number is coming from. Manhattan grows from 2 million to 4 million people every day as people travel from outside the city for work. And that is in a 22 square mile area. You already pay 12 dollars each way in tolls at pretty much any of the tunnels to get into Manhattan.

85 percent of New Yorkers use public transit inside the city. And you would be dumb to not use public transit to get into the city as there simply isn't cheap parking available even when you get there at least on Manhattan island.

It is very different from how Chicago is setup. Basically you would have to imagine a moat around downtown Chicago with only 4-5 bridges for access and some ferrys. The rest of Chicago would be the other 4 boroughs and the suburbs would be considered "New Jersey".

Fish

From the mean streets....
Donating Member
Reaction score
I will say though...... a charge on top of bridge and tunnel charges is completely asinine.

It was something like 15 dollars for me to use the tunnel a few months back when I was there. So you are going to charge 15 to enter the tunnel then another 12 on the other side?

Fuck that shit
Yup. We used the tunnel on a Sunday and it was $15 to go through. We left on a Wednesday and used one of the bridges, cant remember which one. I dont remember paying a toll to get on but I do believe there was a toll to get off? I was just trying for my life to get off the bridge since I get super anxious on big bridges and that was probably the biggest bridge Ive been on.

Going through Louisville is also rough. :rofl:

Required transponders in every car and scanners on every road?

With expensive tickets if you don't buy a transponder? That's how I'd do it. Make the money no matter what.

Plus you can give out "exempt" transponders to deserving people like government employees and politically connected people.

Eventually, you could have enough scanners to record speed and traffic laws. Red light cameras taken to the extreme. Lots of $$
How are you going to catch tourists though? People do drive from out of state as well. I cant imagine them trying to implement some iPass type lanes for cash and an "Open Tollway" like what IL has.

Fun fact, my iPass actually worked on the tolls in NY.

Not sure where that number is coming from. Manhattan grows from 2 million to 4 million people every day as people travel from outside the city for work. And that is in a 22 square mile area. You already pay 12 dollars each way in tolls at pretty much any of the tunnels to get into Manhattan.

85 percent of New Yorkers use public transit inside the city. And you would be dumb to not use public transit to get into the city as there simply isn't cheap parking available even when you get there at least on Manhattan island.

It is very different from how Chicago is setup. Basically you would have to imagine a moat around downtown Chicago with only 4-5 bridges for access and some ferrys. The rest of Chicago would be the other 4 boroughs and the suburbs would be considered "New Jersey".
Indiana would be New Jersey. :s00ls: Cept they dont screw their inhabitants like Jersey does.

Aircal

Reaction score
I could go for a moat around Chicago, in fact why not a wall? As long as we keep Snake Pliskin around to rescue any important people life would be just fine.

zenriddles

Molon Labe - come and take them!
Reaction score
I could go for a moat around Chicago, in fact why not a wall? As long as we keep Snake Pliskin around to rescue any important people life would be just fine.
Oh MAN ! ! !

You are ON it!

Build walls around all these asshole cities and fill them with all the illegal aliens they so desperately want to let into the country!

The way it SHOULD be. Careful what you ask for.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Just like all those idiots in my neighborhood that had "we're not afraid" signs (regarding immigration) out in there front lawns...

Yea, let them live with you, you stupid fuckers! You want them so bad...

MrDragster1970

Reaction score
Walls are racist, evil and immoral.
No way you will get a wall built, the POS liberals will bitch it's giving PRESIDENT Trump too much free attention!!!

Like when someone posted the US has spent some insane number of bucks for those highway sound proof walls, like 100 BILLION or 200 BILLION, when PRESIDENT Trump only wanted 65 BILLION for his border wall??
I'm sure the numbers are off, but I'm pretty sure is was a lot more than PRESIDENT Trump asked for??

Not even considering that every one of those POS liberals voted for the wall when obama asked for it!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom