New puppy thread - I guess Im a dog owner now...

ZXMustang

Reaction score
Man I never thought we'd have a dog. Our middle son (8yo) has been allergic since birth to dogs. Their hair and saliva. Hes been tested and going in for allergy shots for two years leading up to our move. And out of our three kids, hes the one that truly loves dogs. Our other two are scared of big dogs and get a little skittish around them generally. So after all the allergy therapy, I cant say hes cured but he can tolerate being in a house with a dog. And hes been begging for a puppy, so we said what the hell. We "shopped" for a puppy - yes I know shame on us. Well didnt matter, fucking even lab puppies are $1200 down here in FL. I wanted a german shepard, but the size was going to be too much for our young kids. So we went to all the shelters. Surprise surprise, they are all filled with pit mix dogs. Nobody wants those poor pit mixes because they have that pit look. Our HOA wont allow pits or pit mixes in the whole subdivision.

Well after some searching, we found an adoption event last weekend at our local pet smart. Several puppies going to be there from several rescues from around the area. So we stopped in. Most were there, but the young ones were still on the way. And as they were bringing them in, the very last one that was carried in was our girl. 12 week old pure bred Blue Heeler. Shes absolutely gorgeous. My wife who is not a dog person was like thats the one. She is a stunner. Everyone that sees her out in public stops and asks what kind of dog she is. Shes cotton ball soft and full of energy. What a find. $200 plus a few toys and some food, and shes ours. Meanwhile pure bred blue heelers of this caliber are like $2000 and up. We struck gold. Shes been with us over a week, and already almost potty trained. Shes good with the kids and humans in general, but very uppity around other dogs. Shes a cattle dog, so they like to herd shit. And my kids are feeling that when they run her around. But shes sweet and doesnt nip harder than a play bite. On to the pics.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Congrats on a rescue instead of feeding into the terrible breeders. Adorable pup!

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
Beautiful puppy. Dogs are some of the greatest gifts we can have in our lives. Enjoy it.

Dan00Hawk

Reaction score
That's a good lookin' pooch right there! Very unique! Congrats and enjoy the new member of your family!

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
Wow, that is a beautiful animal. You really did strike gold!

Being a rescue, you're lucky she behaves herself. I got a rescue back in December and he was an absolute nightmare to deal with for months. It took a lot of patience and many months of training to get him to calm down and be normal.

I've had a couple rescue animals now and I've always wished I could have known what their previous life was like. Did they have loving owners? Were they abused? How long were they on the street? Unfortunately, we'll never know.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Nice dog.

Make sure to train it right away. Blue heelers are natural herders and will try to herd the children and other animals fyi. They also can become very protective which is good and bad. Good for the family, bad for visitors, welcomed or unwelcomed.

Red Alert

Reaction score
Absolutely gorgeous! Congrats on the find and good luck with your son.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, nice puppy!

Bub

Pitter Patter
Donating Member
Reaction score
You've already had the dog a week?! Urgh that means she'll be sold by Friday.

Jeffs FRC

Reaction score
Cute pup man congrats! Lost my Weim to cancer a couple years back and miss her terribly. We adopted a pit bull last fall and shes a great dog.

Omg!!! Lmao

OP
Z

ZXMustang

Reaction score
Nah. This ones a keeper.

My son is doing great. Hasn’t needed his inhaler with her around and he’s been licked by her and wrestled with her a bunch, no reaction. Looking good.

One thing, she’s absolutely destroying our cat. The cat is also a female and was an alpha cat until the dog showed up. Not sure what to do. The dog is relentless with tackling the cat and trying to rip her head off. The cat has claws still but is just getting dominated.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Usually keeping the separated is best. Feeding them on opposite sides of a closed door and then over time open it. Straight exposure is never good and will upset your car hugely.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yeah make sure the cat has an area she can go to without the dog being able to get there.

It's constant training but eventually they will get along and tolerate each other.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
More proof that hoas/insurance companies are straight up racists and breed discriminate. Sick fucks

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
Cute pup but like was mentioned, you’re going to need to put in a ton of work training. They can be a handful if you don’t train them and give them an outlet for their energy, aka long long walks, or better yet see if you can find a place to allow the dog to actually herd.

OP
Z

ZXMustang

Reaction score
Cute pup but like was mentioned, you’re going to need to put in a ton of work training. They can be a handful if you don’t train them and give them an outlet for their energy, aka long long walks, or better yet see if you can find a place to allow the dog to actually herd.
Dog parks lol.

BS ISF

Donating Member
Reaction score
cute pup and amazing breed!!! super fucking smart

Fish

From the mean streets....
Donating Member
Reaction score
Cute pup. Not digging the ball of energy. LOL. I myself would prefer a bulldog or something else that is lazy and hates the heat. LIKE ME!!

Beautiful puppy. Dogs are some of the greatest gifts we can have in our lives. Enjoy it.
They can be. Then there are owners that you know that really make you think pet ownership is not worth it. I know its the owners fault most of the time, but still.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom