New propane grill shopping

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Different grills for different uses. Weber propane is awesome for coming home from work, flicking a switch and cooking a burger in ten mins. Weber charcoal is great for the versatility and you can add wood to it. Cooktops are great for anything that should be cooked on a griddle and it's more fun to do it outside. Offset smoker is the ultimate for smoke rings and cold smoking. The electric smoker I currently have (borrowed) is an easy way to smoke. Still haven't decided if I want to buy one.

Reactions: Stink Star

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Different grills for different uses. Weber propane is awesome for coming home from work, flicking a switch and cooking a burger in ten mins. Weber charcoal is great for the versatility and you can add wood to it. Cooktops are great for anything that should be cooked on a griddle and it's more fun to do it outside. Offset smoker is the ultimate for smoke rings and cold smoking. The electric smoker I currently have (borrowed) is an easy way to smoke. Still haven't decided if I want to buy one.

i can have my weber charcoal ready in 10 minutes. fo sho

Reactions: Bru and Shawn1112

Jamesv82

Addict
TCG Premium
Mar 9, 2017
So its time to replace my Weber Genesis 3 burner that is at least 15 years old. Grill still works perfectly, but the framework below is rotting away so its time. I'm leaning towards replacing with another Weber Genesis 3 or 4 burner. My question is, should I be looking at other makes of grills? Would like to stay around $1k.

Reasons for another Weber are reliability, durability, and ease of parts replacement.
If you have the grill stationary are you up to building a stand for the grill section, since you said it's in good shape.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I can literally have a burger on the table in 10 mins. 2 mins. to warm up the grill and 8 to cook it on high. You may be fast at getting charcoal going but you can't beat propane speed with charcoal. I have my Weber charcoal sitting next to my Weber propane.
No fucking way, I want video proof of this. If your cookining an 1/8th lb burger or eating a raw burger I can see it

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I have a head start on you Illinois guys with the grill being at 85* before I light it. If it's in the sun, it's probably closer to 95* and even higher in the summer. Doesn't take long to get up to temp. Crank an older Weber Genesis up and it's probably close to 600*. Once the grease starts dripping and burning, that shoots up even higher.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
No fucking way, I want video proof of this. If your cookining an 1/8th lb burger or eating a raw burger I can see it
It's actually not too far off. If I'm in a rush I'll use the premade burgers from Costco, either the 75/25 or the 80/20 when I can find them. I'll fire up the grill, come back inside and get the burgers out of the freezer. By the time I get back to the grill to throw them it's warm enough. About 5-6 minutes per side and they're pretty much done. Those are the 1/3lbs patties. It does take me (personally) a few extra minutes cause I toast the buns.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
notice i didn't say "men"

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I have a head start on you Illinois guys with the grill being at 85* before I light it. If it's in the sun, it's probably closer to 95* and even higher in the summer. Doesn't take long to get up to temp. Crank an older Weber Genesis up and it's probably close to 600*. Once the grease starts dripping and burning, that shoots up even higher.
I'm still not buying it. 10 minutes from the time you fire the grill up to the table and not raw?
I grill all summer long in 80-90 degree temps and cant grill a burger in 10 min with the pre-heating of a gas gril.

It's actually not too far off. If I'm in a rush I'll use the premade burgers from Costco, either the 75/25 or the 80/20 when I can find them. I'll fire up the grill, come back inside and get the burgers out of the freezer. By the time I get back to the grill to throw them it's warm enough. About 5-6 minutes per side and they're pretty much done. Those are the 1/3lbs patties. It does take me (personally) a few extra minutes cause I toast the buns.
5-6 min per side plus the pre-heating of the gas grill will be longer than 10 minutes.

Nccstud

Daddy no likey
TCG Premium
Aug 20, 2012
Belvidere
I got this one for Xmas. I don't cook anything crazy on it, but I love the ease of propane. I was always charcoal...but coming home from work and turning it on and having it ready quickly is super helpful. No issues so far with it

Reactions: Jeffs FRC
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info