New Pipes

epik_x

Addict
Jun 22, 2008
Elgin
Picked these up yesterday. Unequal length headers and catless up-pipe. They were sitting in some guys garage for the last few years. I'm not sure the brand, but I'm told they were bought at GRD.

Crappy cell phone pic.
Image066.jpg

I going to heat wrap them before I put them on the car. Should I try to clean or polish them up a bit? They are stainless steel and got a bit of bluing and discoloration going on. I'm not worried about the look, more about preventing corrosion especially with the wrapping. Any advice?

Last edited:

epik_x

Addict
Jun 22, 2008
Elgin
nice! those should improve your power nicely

did ya end up getting better times in since we went to GLD like 2 months ago??

Nope, worse actually. Just can't seem to get the car out of the 14.1-14.5@91-94mph range. Next I'm probably going to get a wideband and some tuning software and see if that can finally get me into the 13's.

Dont bother with cleaning them. Wrap is a good idea though for a turbo application.

:werd: I hear that wrapping can trap moisture and lead to rust, anyway to reduce or prevent that, or is that just a downside to heat wrap?

epik_x

Addict
Jun 22, 2008
Elgin
I've heard of it happening but i always have wrapped the cross over on my headers and haven't had a problem. Are those headers stainless?

Excellent. It seems like its more of a possibility than a frequent occurrence, and ya these are stainless, so hopefully they'll last.

I've heard that headers take away the distinctive "boxer" exhaust sound, is that true?

equal length headers do. not the unequal (which are the same as stock)

:werd: Supposedly equal length are good for a little bit more power too. Its amazing how many people would rather lose a little power, than lose the boxer rumble.

epik_x

Addict
Jun 22, 2008
Elgin
Nice mang good pickup!

Thanks dude!

hmmmm yea looks a bit different. either way sweet! i'll be sticking to my stock mani's for probably ever. i may still take a die grinder to them before i install them....we'll see. i got rid of my TGV's though! fuck those things

Nice, did you just remove the butterfly valve and keep the rods, or did you plug up the whole thing? I'm still debating whether to remove my TGVs or find a nice TGVless manifold. :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info