New Pipes

epik_x

Reaction score
Picked these up yesterday. Unequal length headers and catless up-pipe. They were sitting in some guys garage for the last few years. I'm not sure the brand, but I'm told they were bought at GRD.

Crappy cell phone pic.

I going to heat wrap them before I put them on the car. Should I try to clean or polish them up a bit? They are stainless steel and got a bit of bluing and discoloration going on. I'm not worried about the look, more about preventing corrosion especially with the wrapping. Any advice?

Last edited:

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
Reaction score
nice! those should improve your power nicely

did ya end up getting better times in since we went to GLD like 2 months ago??

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
Dont bother with cleaning them. Wrap is a good idea though for a turbo application.

OP
E

epik_x

Reaction score
nice! those should improve your power nicely

did ya end up getting better times in since we went to GLD like 2 months ago??
Nope, worse actually. Just can't seem to get the car out of the [email protected] range. Next I'm probably going to get a wideband and some tuning software and see if that can finally get me into the 13's.

Dont bother with cleaning them. Wrap is a good idea though for a turbo application.
:werd: I hear that wrapping can trap moisture and lead to rust, anyway to reduce or prevent that, or is that just a downside to heat wrap?

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've heard of it happening but i always have wrapped the cross over on my headers and haven't had a problem. Are those headers stainless?

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
I've heard that headers take away the distinctive "boxer" exhaust sound, is that true?

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
equal length headers do. not the unequal (which are the same as stock)

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
OP
E

epik_x

Reaction score
I've heard of it happening but i always have wrapped the cross over on my headers and haven't had a problem. Are those headers stainless?
Excellent. It seems like its more of a possibility than a frequent occurrence, and ya these are stainless, so hopefully they'll last.

I've heard that headers take away the distinctive "boxer" exhaust sound, is that true?
equal length headers do. not the unequal (which are the same as stock)
:werd: Supposedly equal length are good for a little bit more power too. Its amazing how many people would rather lose a little power, than lose the boxer rumble.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
id sacrifice a few hp to keep that boxer rumble as well. you cant take that away

OP
E

epik_x

Reaction score
If I had the choice between equal and unequal I honestly dont know which I would choose....

OP
E

epik_x

Reaction score
I think I figured out what brand these headers are. After lots of comparing pictures, these look exactly like the GT Spec V1 headers. :bigthumb:

OP
E

epik_x

Reaction score
I'm 95% sure this stuff isn't "ebay brand". Its at least 4 years old and discontinued, so it was a little hard to identify, but I'm pretty sure.

OP
E

epik_x

Reaction score
Close, but EGT bung looks differnt.

Also the headers and uppipe are a set.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
hmmmm yea looks a bit different. either way sweet! i'll be sticking to my stock mani's for probably ever. i may still take a die grinder to them before i install them....we'll see. i got rid of my TGV's though! fuck those things

OP
E

epik_x

Reaction score
Nice mang good pickup!
Thanks dude!

hmmmm yea looks a bit different. either way sweet! i'll be sticking to my stock mani's for probably ever. i may still take a die grinder to them before i install them....we'll see. i got rid of my TGV's though! fuck those things
Nice, did you just remove the butterfly valve and keep the rods, or did you plug up the whole thing? I'm still debating whether to remove my TGVs or find a nice TGVless manifold. :dunno:

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
i'll post pics in a bit. i got rid of everything and tapped and plugged the holes. i also gutted out my sensors so everything looks stock.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom