New Personal Best @ Putnam (with video)

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I went out to Putnam this past weekend with a new AIM solo 2 lap timer and hero 7, and i've been tinkering with the RaceRender software so there's some video below with GPS data overlaid. I was going 1:24's at this track last spring, hit 1:19 last fall, and after this past weekend I have a new PB of 1:16.8. Unfortunately after only 9 sessions my brand new rear pirelli started getting some spotty wear, which made the grip noticeably worse. I think I could have gone 1:16.0 or better on the second day if the tire held, but it didn't. The tire is pictured below. I'm going back in less than two weeks...looking to hit 1:15

Enjoy the pics and vids!

Short Clip:

https://youtu.be/s6xToGUUP2E

Full Session, i have no clue why youtube butchered the quality on this one but kept the video above HD. This was uploaded in 1080p and looks great when I watch the mp4 file

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ4e5zm9KdY&feature=youtu.be

Off course...hit a false neutral and thought it died. Didn't want to stay on the race line and get clobbered, so I went off course at probably 70-80mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSCh3-9ZmKQ&feature=youtu.be

Pictures:

AIdawYO.jpg

Destroyed front, this was before I put the new ones on
OWkCRQr.jpg

9 sessions on this thing and it's compromised, I'm having my suspension adjusted and swapping to Michelin slicks before going back to this track on 8/25
musrNoc.jpg

zxlKrjI.jpg

Gopro mirror mount (top left) broke, so I improvised. I'm actually happy I did even though this is basically permanently affixed to my intake now, lol. FWIW if you want a gopro mirror mount for a motorcycle, don't buy one, I've gone through two of them now.

eN2qDQb.jpg

Last edited:

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Omg that fucking double pass

The avg speed in the advanced group this past weekend seemed slow. I only saw a couple guys going 1:15 or better, a majority of the group was slower than 1:20 and probably should have been in intermediate

Sunday a couple fast guys came out, but saturday was a slower group for sure

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
The avg speed in the advanced group this past weekend seemed slow. I only saw a couple guys going 1:15 or better, a majority of the group was slower than 1:20 and probably should have been in intermediate

Sunday a couple fast guys came out, but saturday was a slower group for sure

it's early, and i read that as a couple fat guys came out. loled

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
How do you guys signal for someone to pass?

You don't signal or wait for a signal, you just pass. Nobody looks backwards, that'd be very danger at those speeds

There's a 6ft passing rule but in advanced that's pretty lax, as long as you don't make contact nobody cares. They actually called an impromptu meeting with the advanced guys on saturday though because 3 bikes had already made contact before the afternoon sessions even started. No bueno

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
How do you guys signal for someone to pass?

lol was about to ask this question. this seems a lot more terrifying than passing in my 4 wheel box surrounded by metal.

is passing always expected to be on the outside of a turn or off line on a straight? so even if the person being passed isn't aware that you're there, odds of contact are much lower as you always pass off line?

HPDE this seems to be preferred (with a point) but you can go off line and point someone to pass you on line... just unexpected. and most everybody requires a point by, and very very few allow passing in turns, even in advanced.

how do you like putnam? i've never been there, but a buddy's org (gps track time) is heading down there for the first time, and i've only had my car long enough to do 1 track day this summer (going back to mechanic soon too) - may head down to try putnam this year, def thinkorizing about it

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
lol was about to ask this question. this seems a lot more terrifying than passing in my 4 wheel box surrounded by metal.

is passing always expected to be on the outside of a turn or off line on a straight? so even if the person being passed isn't aware that you're there, odds of contact are much lower as you always pass off line?

HPDE this seems to be preferred (with a point) but you can go off line and point someone to pass you on line... just unexpected. and most everybody requires a point by, and very very few allow passing in turns, even in advanced.

how do you like putnam? i've never been there, but a buddy's org (gps track time) is heading down there for the first time, and i've only had my car long enough to do 1 track day this summer (going back to mechanic soon too) - may head down to try putnam this year, def thinkorizing about it

In advanced, you can be passed basically anywhere except the inside of a turn while turning. Occasionally you will get chopped off at the end of a straight heading in to a turn, but that's rare. I'll only pass someone like this if I know i'm going to carry significantly more speed through the turn than them, and i'll deviate my line to stay a few feet inside of the race line just in case, so I'm not cutting off their front tire. If I pass them 75ft ahead of the turn i'll go ahead and get back on to the race line because the guy I passed then has plenty of time to see me, and again, i'm probably going to carry more speed through that turn than him/her. I'm pretty conservative when it comes to passing.

I'd imagine passing in a car is difficult given the width. Especially at a course like ACC where there are turns all over the place

I love putnam, the only track I like more is road america. I've been to gingerman, the 3 ACC configurations, putnam, and RA. I'd like to try NCM later this year. Barber would be cool too but that's just too far

Try putnam, it's a fast, flowing track. That's why I like it. Plus they have garages that are pretty cheap to rent, $25/day through the org I usually ride with

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
In advanced, you can be passed basically anywhere except the inside of a turn while turning. Occasionally you will get chopped off at the end of a straight heading in to a turn, but that's rare. I'll only pass someone like this if I know i'm going to carry significantly more speed through the turn than them, and i'll deviate my line to stay a few feet inside of the race line just in case, so I'm not cutting off their front tire. If I pass them 75ft ahead of the turn i'll go ahead and get back on to the race line because the guy I passed then has plenty of time to see me, and again, i'm probably going to carry more speed through that turn than him/her. I'm pretty conservative when it comes to passing.

I'd imagine passing in a car is difficult given the width. Especially at a course like ACC where there are turns all over the place

I love putnam, the only track I like more is road america. I've been to gingerman, the 3 ACC configurations, putnam, and RA. I'd like to try NCM later this year. Barber would be cool too but that's just too far

Try putnam, it's a fast, flowing track. That's why I like it. Plus they have garages that are pretty cheap to rent, $25/day through the org I usually ride with

how would you rank those tracks you have been?

i've heard putnam described 'as flowy as north but faster' - which makes sense looking at a track map of it.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
how would you rank those tracks you have been?

i've heard putnam described 'as flowy as north but faster' - which makes sense looking at a track map of it.

I'd say:

Road America
Putnam
ACC Full
Gingerman
ACC North
ACC South

That's a fair analogy between ACC North and Putnam. Keep in mind Putnam is also ~30% longer than ACC North, which is nice

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
What about blackhawk? :ugh:

Narrow track, mediocre surface (and that's being nice), rumble strips optional, no runoff space, and trees everywhere

No
Fucking
Thanks

All I had to do was watch a couple youtube vids to know that I'm not interested in going to BHF. I can't believe there are so many sportbike races there

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
i'm a big fan of south, surprised to see it at the bottom of your list !

Too small, too many turns. If I had a 600 I'd probably enjoy ACC south a little more. With a 200whp bike, having to brake almost as soon as you hit the gas isn't that fun. At a course like RA or Putnam your average speed is way higher and you actually get to use your engine, you're not just braking and bouncing from left to right all day.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Off course video...i'm curious how fast I was going when I hit the grass but don't have the time to sync it up with GPS right now. I was going 152-154mph at the start of the rumble strip on the left...when I have more time i'll figure out how fast I was going when I went off.

You can hear the engine sounds like it died. I hit a false neutral, which has never happened, but at the time I thought it died so I yanked the clutch in, hammered both brakes as hard as I could, stood it up then let off the front the second I hit the grass. Going in to the grass at probably 75+ is a lot better than getting clobbered at lean due to taking a turn with no power.

I've been off course before..just never at this speed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSCh3-9ZmKQ&feature=youtu.be

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info