New network gear selection

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
If you're not looking to spend too much, I recommend Netgear stuff.
There is nothing wrong with mesh systems as long as you keep the equipment within the same manufacturer.

I've set up a few mesh systems using all Netgear stuff and it's worked well.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
He is on vacation... He regularly recommends products from this company if you are looking for access points as he is against mesh systems.

https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-ap/

That was what I was looking at mostly, just not sure what setup would work best for me. You can really go pretty nuts with them :)

If you're not looking to spend too much, I recommend Netgear stuff.
There is nothing wrong with mesh systems as long as you keep the equipment within the same manufacturer.

I've set up a few mesh systems using all Netgear stuff and it's worked well.

I am not against a mesh network, but I would probably rather have multiple access points. I have also had decent luck with Netgear in the past.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
That was what I was looking at mostly, just not sure what setup would work best for me. You can really go pretty nuts with them :)

I am not against a mesh network, but I would probably rather have multiple access points. I have also had decent luck with Netgear in the past.

You sure can. [MENTION=410]Bruce Jibboo[/MENTION] and [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] get in here. What do you/did you have?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Well it seems like my old Asus router is dying. Its been great for many years, but with it acting up, and needed more/better coverage its time to move on. So what should I be looking at for a good easy to set up, dead reliable multi access point network?

Thanks,
Sean
How big is your house? Do you have ethernet runs for the access points?

I like the ubiquiti access points. Lites are usually good enough for most people, but the Pros have newer technology and allow more bandwidth and can handle more devices.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
How big is your house? Do you have ethernet runs for the access points?

I like the ubiquiti access points. Lites are usually good enough for most people, but the Pros have newer technology and allow more bandwidth and can handle more devices.

House is not that big, about 2,300 square feet plus basement. I would like to have some coverage outside as well, but don't see that being an issue. I haven't run my Ethernet yet, but there is no concern with that. I had over 1,000' of CAT 6 run though my old house :D

Sean

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
2 AC-Lites should provide good coverage in and out.

1 covers my 1000sq ft house (main floor and basement) well. I have a huge lot though so I added another in the detached garage to reach my far back yard.

1 should be enough for your house, but the edges will be eh on coverage. That's why I'd go with 2 and space them evenly in the house. Shouldn't need one in the basement, the signal should reach down there just fine.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
2 AC-Lites should provide good coverage in and out.

1 covers my 1000sq ft house (main floor and basement) well. I have a huge lot though so I added another in the detached garage to reach my far back yard.

1 should be enough for your house, but the edges will be eh on coverage. That's why I'd go with 2 and space them evenly in the house. Shouldn't need one in the basement, the signal should reach down there just fine.

Just two of these and that's all?

https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lite/

Sean

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Just two of these and that's all?

https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lite/

Sean
Yup.

Unless you want on-demand network statistics and be able to use the phone app, that's all you need. Install the ubiquiti unifi controller software, setup the access points and good to go. You won't need the software again unless you want to make changes.

Or you buy a cloud key (or build one) so that the unifi controller software runs all the time and collects the network statistics. You could also use the PC that you setup the APs on as the controller, but it needs to remain on all the time to collect the data.

IF you do want the statistics, setup the access points with the controller that is staying on all the time, not a PC. Otherwise you'll have to factory reset the APs and pair them with the controller and basically set it up twice. Learned that the hard way :rofl:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
You sure can. [MENTION=410]Bruce Jibboo[/MENTION] and [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] get in here. What do you/did you have?

Bruce Jibboo Bruce Jibboo where yaaat.
Im 100% happy with Google mesh.

i shoulda gone this route.

Yup.

Unless you want on-demand network statistics and be able to use the phone app, that's all you need. Install the ubiquiti unifi controller software, setup the access points and good to go. You won't need the software again unless you want to make changes.

Or you buy a cloud key (or build one) so that the unifi controller software runs all the time and collects the network statistics. You could also use the PC that you setup the APs on as the controller, but it needs to remain on all the time to collect the data.

IF you do want the statistics, setup the access points with the controller that is staying on all the time, not a PC. Otherwise you'll have to factory reset the APs and pair them with the controller and basically set it up twice. Learned that the hard way ?

im getting annoyed by these access points. i finally got around to trying to install them...

have the installer, did the java updates, took down firewalls, blah beeee blah bullllshit, i shoulda just bought google mesh and plugged the shit in.

it's been trying to find the access points for an hour now. ive tried everything. network cable one direct to my pc... another effort connected through the POE switch which was necessary blah befuckinblah. shoulda googlenooobmeshed this shit.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Bruce Jibboo Bruce Jibboo where yaaat.

i shoulda gone this route.

im getting annoyed by these access points. i finally got around to trying to install them...

have the installer, did the java updates, took down firewalls, blah beeee blah bullllshit, i shoulda just bought google mesh and plugged the shit in.

it's been trying to find the access points for an hour now. ive tried everything. network cable one direct to my pc... another effort connected through the POE switch which was necessary blah befuckinblah. shoulda googlenooobmeshed this shit.
Did you figure it out?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
nooope. didnt know that was a thing or i needed to.

legit went through the installer, did everything a few different ways, a few different times, and the installer never "saw" the access points.
that is most likely why.

what address scheme do you use at home? (will be relevant later)

this is how you do it:

1)set PC that has software installed to static IP address 192.168.1.12 / 255.255.255.0. No gateway needed.

2)Factory reset access points if they are not default settings (Hold reset button under while plugged in for 10 seconds, release button and the blue light should go off and itll do its reset)

3)connect PC directly to AP. The AP will have a factory address of 192.168.1.20. Now the software SHOULD find it and be able to configure it.

4) set the AP to a static address that matches your current IP scheme. Make it on the higher end of the ip numbers so DHCP doesnt hand it out (like 192.168.x.202)

Now you should be able to connect your PC (change IP settings back to automatic) and the AP back to your switch/router and they should be able to find them.

The Ap should be active and have internet once on the full network.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
that is most likely why.

what address scheme do you use at home? (will be relevant later)

this is how you do it:

1)set PC that has software installed to static IP address 192.168.1.12 / 255.255.255.0. No gateway needed.

2)Factory reset access points if they are not default settings (Hold reset button under while plugged in for 10 seconds, release button and the blue light should go off and itll do its reset)

3)connect PC directly to AP. The AP will have a factory address of 192.168.1.20. Now the software SHOULD find it and be able to configure it.

4) set the AP to a static address that matches your current IP scheme. Make it on the higher end of the ip numbers so DHCP doesnt hand it out (like 192.168.x.202)

Now you should be able to connect your PC (change IP settings back to automatic) and the AP back to your switch/router and they should be able to find them.

The Ap should be active and have internet once on the full network.

okay cool
i reset them, i connected directly, i just didn't set the IP address stuff. ill try this all tonight

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
okay cool
i reset them, i connected directly, i just didn't set the IP address stuff. ill try this all tonight
yeeah the first setup can run into some walls. I experienced the same thing setting up my first ubiquiti AP.

After it is all configured, adding more is a breeze. Plug it into the network, have PC find it, Adopt and good to go.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Yup.

IF you do want the statistics, setup the access points with the controller that is staying on all the time, not a PC. Otherwise you'll have to factory reset the APs and pair them with the controller and basically set it up twice. Learned that the hard way ?

I am getting ready to order pretty much all of my networking stuff, including these access points. I just want to be sure, I don't need a separate router at all? Do I need a managed POE switch for them, or can they be on an unmanaged POE switch?

Thanks,
Sean

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info