New Lincoln Aviator

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
:rofl:

k

why do you care so much about this? calm down henry ford.

Not sure if sarcastic or baiting an argument or just being ignorant.........

Comment was because this kind of tech is cool to bolster the regular gas engines performance. Soon it will be applied to other platforms and more cars we actually do cherish more like Mustangs Corvettes ect.

This type of application is more for the people that give a shit about performance more than geeking out on how many full hybrid miles their prius can get.

Sorry I didnt explain further earlier.

Is that good enough explination for you now?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Dont be mad now your dickish comment was dickish.

Or is it only some people can call a barn a barn?

my comment wasn't dickish at all,

i find it fucking weird that you care so much about the financials of the companies you mentioned.

sorry your panties got bunched over something so harmless, find a safe place.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
my comment wasn't dickish at all,

i find it fucking weird that you care so much about the financials of the companies you mentioned.

sorry your panties got bunched over something so harmless, find a safe place.

Some of its just busting your balls in return. You know I could care less.

However other than the Vette I think GM is a mess.

Meanwhile I think the Ford SUVs are sending some well aimed shots at GM as a whole with the Navigator and Expedition at the GM Fullsizes and now the new Ford Explorer and Aviator at the Acadia and Traverse.

Ive drove a new 2020 Explorer and its alot more like a Durango in size than a 2019 Explorer and now has the engine facing the right way in the drivetrain.

The hybrid tech being used for performance is interesting because not many are using it for performance as of now. I expect more to follow and move into more cars and sports cars.

Well at least I hope.

:dunno:

Some of its just busting your balls in return. You know I could care less.

However other than the Vette I think GM is a mess.

Meanwhile I think the Ford SUVs are sending some well aimed shots at GM as a whole with the Navigator and Expedition at the GM Fullsizes and now the new Ford Explorer and Aviator at the Acadia and Traverse.

Ive drove a new 2020 Explorer and its alot more like a Durango in size than a 2019 Explorer and now has the engine facing the right way in the drivetrain.

The hybrid tech being used for performance is interesting because not many are using it for performance as of now. I expect more to follow and move into more cars and sports cars.

Well at least I hope.

:dunno:

The 20 is the same size. Same width and the skids are about 5/8 longer front and back. The rails are on the interior now allowing it a lower entry height and a bigger “feel”

The hybrid as performance is negated by the 7k curb weight.

Other than the f150 and explorer twins ford is a mess.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
19' Explorer per google says 198" long and 20' Explorer is 199" long.

Personally, I would not be able to notice the difference of size in 1", but, having driven mutliple Explorers and owning a Durango, I think the Explorers are overall much smaller and feel and drive like they are smaller compared to the Durango.

This is only based on the thousands of miles I drove Explorer Sport rentals to TX and Florida and 3+ years of owning the Durango.

Hands down, the Explorers do drive smooth and do handle better, though.

Really curious to see how the Aviator compares to the Explorer/Durango.

Love the way these look and it would be super fun to own one .

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
The 20 is the same size. Same width and the skids are about 5/8 longer front and back. The rails are on the interior now allowing it a lower entry height and a bigger “feel”

The hybrid as performance is negated by the 7k curb weight.

Other than the f150 and explorer twins ford is a mess.

Curb weight of the hybrid is 5600 pounds.

Mustang is doing VERY well too. Their chassis cab trucks are everywhere. Ford is dumping the rest of their cars because people don't buy sedans, and Ford is hedging their bets on SUV's and trucks. Time will tell if that pays off. But I would hardly say they are a mess.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
19' Explorer per google says 198" long and 20' Explorer is 199" long.

Personally, I would not be able to notice the difference of size in 1", but, having driven mutliple Explorers and owning a Durango, I think the Explorers are overall much smaller and feel and drive like they are smaller compared to the Durango.

This is only based on the thousands of miles I drove Explorer Sport rentals to TX and Florida and 3+ years of owning the Durango.

Hands down, the Explorers do drive smooth and do handle better, though.

Really curious to see how the Aviator compares to the Explorer/Durango.

Love the way these look and it would be super fun to own one .

Not surprising the Explorer felt better on road. It's basically a car chassis (shares with the Taurus, MKS, Flex), vs the Durango being more of a "SUV" chassis (shares with the Grand Cherokee, and is loosely based on the MB ML class)

The 2020 is longer and engine layout is longtudinal. The overhangs in front of the wheels is shorter, rear wheels are pushed more towards the corners also so the overall length prolly isnt much but wheelbase is longer.

Anyways I thought it was alot more like a durango when i drove the 2020

Longer wheelbase doesn’t equal bigger vehicle.

Different engine configuration gives less interior room

Curb weight of the hybrid is 5600 pounds.

Mustang is doing VERY well too. Their chassis cab trucks are everywhere. Ford is dumping the rest of their cars because people don't buy sedans, and Ford is hedging their bets on SUV's and trucks. Time will tell if that pays off. But I would hardly say they are a mess.

Engineering says 800 pounds over gas. ...and I was guessing at about 5k gas awd, I meant 6k. Now that is for an aviator, maybe explorer less weight. But that’s what we tooled for.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Not surprising the Explorer felt better on road. It's basically a car chassis (shares with the Taurus, MKS, Flex), vs the Durango being more of a "SUV" chassis (shares with the Grand Cherokee, and is loosely based on the MB ML class)

Are you all talking 2019 explorer?

2020 is not the same!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mo...020/2020-ford-explorer-first-look-review/amp/

The entire chassis is different.

Back to Its Rear-Drive Roots
The sixth-generation Explorer moves from a front-drive car platform to Ford's long-awaited and all-new rear-drive architecture—the same one being used for the similarly sized Lincoln Aviator, both of which are assembled in Chicago. All-wheel drive is available from the base model up.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Longer wheelbase doesn’t equal bigger vehicle.

Different engine configuration gives less interior room

Engineering says 800 pounds over gas. ...and I was guessing at about 5k gas awd, I meant 6k. Now that is for an aviator, maybe explorer less weight. But that’s what we tooled for.

its an entirely different chassis.

The rear quarter window and cargo area behind the 3rd row is alot bigger on a 2020 than a 2019. More like a durango size.

I think you are all comparing it to a 2019.

Go look at a 2020 Explorer they are on lots now.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Are you all talking 2019 explorer?

2020 is not the same!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mo...020/2020-ford-explorer-first-look-review/amp/

The entire chassis is different.

Back to Its Rear-Drive Roots
The sixth-generation Explorer moves from a front-drive car platform to Ford's long-awaited and all-new rear-drive architecture—the same one being used for the similarly sized Lincoln Aviator, both of which are assembled in Chicago. All-wheel drive is available from the base model up.

Yeah, he was talking about <2019 Explorer's, not the 2020.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
I was looking at the dimensions of both.

2019 is 198" in length per google, the 2020 is 199" in length.

Not sure that justifies as a huge difference.

Chassis might be different, but, according to the curb weight listed on that motortrend arcticle posted, the 2020 is even lighter than the 2019. Not sure how that would make it feel "bigger" especially like a Durango that is easily over 5,000LBS with options and is dimensionally longer and quite a bit taller, but, not as wide.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Not the same. Screenshot_20190815-162540_Gallery.jpeg

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
I was looking at the dimensions of both.

2019 is 198" in length per google, the 2020 is 199" in length.

Not sure that justifies as a huge difference.

Chassis might be different, but, according to the curb weight listed on that motortrend arcticle posted, the 2020 is even lighter than the 2019. Not sure how that would make it feel "bigger" especially like a Durango that is easily over 5,000LBS with options and is dimensionally longer and quite a bit taller, but, not as wide.
Interior is entirely different despite the overall size being nearly exactly the same due to entirely different chassis and engine orentation.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info