New half shaft clunk

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
I've replaced drivers side half shaft year ago with A1 Cardone unit which failed after a year minus 5 days. Started to vibrate under accel and made this metallic clunk when going from drive to reverse and vice versa. So I sent it back - lifetime warranty, no more vibration but the clunk is still there. Could it be the new half shaft is garbage or...is my trans starting to act up? It has zero issues as far as shifting/slipping, fluid is nice and red no funky smell or anything.

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
I've replaced drivers side half shaft year ago with A1 Cardone unit which failed after a year minus 5 days. Started to vibrate under accel and made this metallic clunk when going from drive to reverse and vice versa. So I sent it back - lifetime warranty, no more vibration but the clunk is still there. Could it be the new half shaft is garbage or...is my trans starting to act up? It has zero issues as far as shifting/slipping, fluid is nice and red no funky smell or anything.

If the vibration is gone and clunk still present I'd suspect either trans or engine mounts. How many miles on your car and are those mounts still original or been replaced?

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
So I got kinda pissed off, took my cheater bar and torqued it down to fuck you ft/lb...no more clunk lol
My torque wrench goes up to 150...soooo maybe I got it up to around 180, had it @ 118 originally. Both bearing and axle are on warranty so we'll see what happens.

So I got kinda pissed off, took my cheater bar and torqued it down to fuck you ft/lb...no more clunk lol
My torque wrench goes up to 150...soooo maybe I got it up to around 180, had it @ 118 originally. Both bearing and axle are on warranty so we'll see what happens.

Are you talking about the axle nut? I always impact them on good and tight and never have an issue. Probably twice what you'd get to by hand. Not sure why that would cause a clunk though, I mean it's splined and at 100+ ft-lbs it's not like it isn't tight, even if it's not as tight as it should be. I mean there certainly shouldn't be any slop at that point...

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
Are you talking about the axle nut? I always impact them on good and tight and never have an issue. Probably twice what you'd get to by hand. Not sure why that would cause a clunk though, I mean it's splined and at 100+ ft-lbs it's not like it isn't tight, even if it's not as tight as it should be. I mean there certainly shouldn't be any slop at that point...
Yep, the axle nut.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info