New half shaft clunk

m_dogg

Reaction score
I've replaced drivers side half shaft year ago with A1 Cardone unit which failed after a year minus 5 days. Started to vibrate under accel and made this metallic clunk when going from drive to reverse and vice versa. So I sent it back - lifetime warranty, no more vibration but the clunk is still there. Could it be the new half shaft is garbage or...is my trans starting to act up? It has zero issues as far as shifting/slipping, fluid is nice and red no funky smell or anything.

Jfrost

Fiero's are addicting
Reaction score
I've replaced drivers side half shaft year ago with A1 Cardone unit which failed after a year minus 5 days. Started to vibrate under accel and made this metallic clunk when going from drive to reverse and vice versa. So I sent it back - lifetime warranty, no more vibration but the clunk is still there. Could it be the new half shaft is garbage or...is my trans starting to act up? It has zero issues as far as shifting/slipping, fluid is nice and red no funky smell or anything.
If the vibration is gone and clunk still present I'd suspect either trans or engine mounts. How many miles on your car and are those mounts still original or been replaced?

m_dogg

Reaction score
You can really hear it with foot on the brake and going D/R R/D with slight throttle.

Jfrost

Fiero's are addicting
Reaction score
I would really suspect engine/trans mounts considering the noise and 100k on it.

m_dogg

Reaction score
Yeah...I just looked at the trans mount, it's all squished, ordered a replacement. Probably a coincidence that it went bad same time as the axle.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Reaction score
Yep, that sounds like it to me. I think I actually did both the driver's axle and the lower engine/trans mounts at the same time haha

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
ya, you might as well replace them al while down there.

m_dogg

Reaction score
Replaced trans mount, no change and it's definitely coming from the driver's side. I guess I will find out with time what that is lol

m_dogg

Reaction score
So I got kinda pissed off, took my cheater bar and torqued it down to fuck you ft/lb...no more clunk lol
My torque wrench goes up to 150...soooo maybe I got it up to around 180, had it @ 118 originally. Both bearing and axle are on warranty so we'll see what happens.

m_dogg

Reaction score
Have a feeling my torque wrench is inaccurate. Got another one on Amazon to compare...

ZephTheChef

Reaction score
So I got kinda pissed off, took my cheater bar and torqued it down to fuck you ft/lb...no more clunk lol
My torque wrench goes up to 150...soooo maybe I got it up to around 180, had it @ 118 originally. Both bearing and axle are on warranty so we'll see what happens.
Are you talking about the axle nut? I always impact them on good and tight and never have an issue. Probably twice what you'd get to by hand. Not sure why that would cause a clunk though, I mean it's splined and at 100+ ft-lbs it's not like it isn't tight, even if it's not as tight as it should be. I mean there certainly shouldn't be any slop at that point...

m_dogg

Reaction score
Are you talking about the axle nut? I always impact them on good and tight and never have an issue. Probably twice what you'd get to by hand. Not sure why that would cause a clunk though, I mean it's splined and at 100+ ft-lbs it's not like it isn't tight, even if it's not as tight as it should be. I mean there certainly shouldn't be any slop at that point...
Yep, the axle nut.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom