New EDC knife!

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So for the last number of years, I've been getting a new EDC knife around Christmas time. I'd favored Benchmade's for a long time... Most notably, the Griptilian 551, standard blade (I don't usually like serrated blades). I carried it for 2 years and used it often.

Then I met my first paramilitary SpiderCo with SV30 steel. First handled one while I was in San Fran on work, and wasn't checking bags... So I couldn't get it home. I held off on the purchase but told my wife (who buys me these knives almost every year) so it was on her radar. I was in love. I NEEDED it. She bought it for me that year @ cams and I carried it for a year plus. It is a large framed knife with a long blade, but it was incredibly light.

Then today... I was in Gander buying some new shoes and happened past the Benchmade case. What a stupid mistake!

There it was, top center of the glass case. Lit up in LED glory. The 940, which was sitting right in front of the knife which first caught my attention looked amazing too, with its olive green handles, purplish back bone and sv30 blade. But I was more interested in that centerpiece in the case.

I started Googling right there.

The carbon fiber handled 940-1 in the center of the case is what caught my eye. I wanted to know how light it was. I wanted to touch it! I wanted to see how sharp the sv90 steel felt.

Google educated me on sv30 steel vs sv90 with ease and I was enticed. Then I looked into the 940 vs it's improved counterpart, the -1. Everyone raved about it.

I asked the sales guy to see both the 940 and the 940-1. Both felt great. The aluminum handled 940 was very solid feeling and operated with ease, just one snap of the wrist and opening of the classic Benchmade release and the blade fully opened. Same to close it. I considered the 940... But then the -1 came out.

The handle was textured much better than the 940's aluminum coarse anodizing. The bright blue spine bushings called my attention. The knife was amazingly light. Not just in the handle, but the entire knife felt impossibly light somehow. The sv90 steel felt odd, almost like it had a silicon component to the blade... Making it weirdly smooth and silky to the touch.

Google corrected Gander on their pricing of the knife and they agreed to drop 30 off their price and I bit. Couldn't be happier! I've been sitting here watching TV just clicking it open and closed over and over. So smooth. So sexy! Good lord.

Here's a few pics of the blades I've carried over the last few years I took today when I got the 940-1 home. Enjoy!

blck10th

Reaction score
This review turned me on. Now I need to go buy a new knife

IDAFC21

WOW.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Oh I like that. My go to's are still my SOG Aegis or my Gerber Emerson Alliance. But I might need to look into that Benchmade....

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
I got that griptilian for my dads birthday, I did mess with it a few times before giving it to him and it seemed like a very nice knife, I want something similar but I'm stuck on spring assisted, currently I use a sog flash 2

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
I need a new knife too, been through too many junk Chinese purchases in the past, they all break.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This review turned me on. Now I need to go buy a new knife
Do it! I agree completely... I wasn't really looking for a knife, but this damn thing was too sexy to leave in that case with all those other "normal" knives!

Carbon fiber handles FTW!

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I need a new knife too, been through too many junk Chinese purchases in the past, they all break.
A quality knife is completely worth the investment! Stop wasting time with junk blades and buy one of those Griptilians! They're great quality intro blades!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Bunch of quality knives in this thread. Nice!

I like the non serrated knives, too, but want to get a serrated blade sometime just to have one for the times I need to saw rather than slice.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Reaction score
No price posted = eagle money

I've grown really attached to the assisted opening on my Kershaw.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Expensive but these are knives your kids will inherit. Much better customer service, repairs may be included in the warranties and the blade metal is trustworthy so when you NEED a knife, you have one that probably won't break on you.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
you can get sub 100 dollar bench made's that are very nice quality as well

Outlaw

Reaction score
I have a Kerkshaw USA made Ken Onion, that's about as fancy as I get. Knife is at least 10 years old and still going strong though. Nice pickup, I like the Benchmades, but im just one of those people that can't wrap their head around $150+ knives lol

Chester Copperpot

TCGs Far Right Leader
Donating Member
Reaction score
Speaking of I need to get my Gerber multitool fixed...

I need a nice carry knife. Had a nice S&W knife I got for free from my MSgt back in the day but it's chewed the fuck up.

Outlaw

Reaction score
It should also be noted that your single knife is what I'm into my entire EDC Pocket Dump... Mad jelly

JackS

Reaction score
1458477533956.jpg
I'm pretty partial to Benchmade myself. That 940-1 WILL be my next knife. I almost pulled the trigger on it last weekend. Hopefully soon

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It should also be noted that your single knife is what I'm into my entire EDC Pocket Dump... Mad jelly

Yeah, I've owned a single Kershaw blade.

The steel is a soft as butter and the tip of the knife bent during what I recall as like the second task I took on with that blade. It was crazy sharp (for knives I had back then) but I was terribly disappointed in the blade quality.

Outlaw

Reaction score
Damn, zero issues yet with mine but I'm not incredibly rough on it. I found it in a car I bought to flip so I'm in it nothing more than the time it took to put a good edge on it.

Gamble

Reaction score
I would love a knife grimsmo but man are they expensive. That dude turned his hobby into an awesome business.
Grimsmo Knives

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Awesome pickup. I love my mini barrage but I wish they made them with more handle options. I need to go to a store to check out the griptilian line, but I'm pretty partial to the assisted open. Maybe I would like the axis.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom