New daily - VW content 3.0

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Gather round and I will tell you a tale. I’ve been sitting on this for awhile to see how it would shake out with insurance. Come to find out the other drivers insurance is denying coverage so it should be a non issue at this point :rofl:.

So back on November 28th I finished a pretty decent day at work in Cicero and was heading home to put up my Christmas lights. Got off I88 at route 31 in Aurora and was about 2 miles from being home. Driving in the right lane and I notice a silver Hyundai in the left lane is braking. This is fairly common here because people will make a left over the low rumble median. Everything else is a blur memory wise but the Hyundai did not turn left they made a no signal right directly in front of me to go to Denny’s or Popeyes. I mashed the brakes, honked and swerved right to avoid hitting them and ended up monster trucking a curb and lightly smacking a tree in front of my beloved Popeyes.

0F8C2ACD-8471-49DF-9A13-ECDA0621353C.jpeg

B05AA532-4998-4C58-BAB6-F8BC1682AAFB.jpeg

I’m shaken but not injured in any way and the other driver actually pulled in to exchange info. She kept insisting that she signaled like that would absolve her of any fault in making a right turn from the left lane in front of me. She stopped making that claim when I told her I was downloading the footage off my camera to my phone while we were waiting for the police to show up. No tickets were issued since we didn’t have any witnesses and the cop said he couldn’t use my video file as evidence for whatever reason and we went on our way.

D9E3E66E-2FCD-496A-B406-5C8BC571A603.jpeg

ABAF28A7-8F88-4709-9018-ADBC9E729CF5.jpeg

34EFAA0C-C1D1-4677-9A02-61E84F54538A.jpeg

assessing the damage I chunked a stock wheel, scuffed up my bumper cover, cracked a very expensive ($1340) bi xenon headlight that turns with the car, ripped the lower spoiler off the bumper and bent the passenger fender a bit.

I had a less than stellar experience with the last body shop I used to have my bumper cover resprayed. The color match was a bit off, it chipped when you looked at it funny and they didn’t use the factory jack points to lift the car and actually crushed my rocker panel in two spots. I had heard that Royal Coach was one of the best local shops a few times from greasy greasy having his hellcat fixed there and my brother picking up CoPart cars back when he towed. Knowing slow4.6 slow4.6 from here worked there helped as well. I figured I was clearly not at fault and the other drivers insurance would pay so I might as well go with the best.

Feeling awfully long winded so here’s the short version. Got an estimate from Royal Coach and submitted it to my insurance (Travelers). Didn’t hear anything for a week, my adjuster said it should be any day. Called a few days later and was forwarded to her manager, found out she sat on my estimate for 9 days and had just submitted it. Flipped out, fired my adjuster and worked with her manager from that point on. More delays with my insurance, dropped my car at Royal Coach 12/21 with the understanding it would take awhile with the holidays.

Really didn’t care that it would take awhile with the holidays since my insurance covered me for a rental up to $30 for 30 days. I reserved a Toyota Corolla or similar and was good to go. When I got to enterprise they informed me that they were short on cars and my only options were “some little Kia suv thing” or a Jeep Wrangler. I’ve always had a weird thing for wranglers while knowing they make zero sense as a DD, so I ended up in a 4 door 4wd 2019 Sahara.

5B1C27B4-60A1-4948-AE31-942D13639892.jpeg

This Jeep grew on me a bit, but not for the $46K this thing stickers for. Wind noise, 18.7 mpg over the 1400 miles I put on it mostly highway, an 8 speed trans that seems indecisive unless you’re romping on it, and it feeling a little sketchy at highway speeds makes me wonder how these things sell so well. Also having to avoid eye contact with every other Jeep Wrangler driver I passed on the road so I didn’t feel obligated to wave back at them got old pretty fast. You’re in one of the top 10 selling vehicles in the country, why do they wave at each other? Is there a Toyota Camry wave? I almost printed a “it’s a rental“ sign to put in the window

Anyways, the other driver has some bullshit “Insure on the spot” coverage. They don’t return calls or emails and have told me they are denying coverage but won’t go further into detail. I’m leaving it in the hands of the subjugation lady at Travelers and she says it could take 6 months or more depending on how it goes. They may have to go after the other driver, I’m not convinced I’ll ever see my deductible but as long as my premiums don’t go up I’m not too concerned. I had been wanting to get my front bumper resprayed for awhile since it was the worst panel on the car.

Car got a new bumper, fender, re’maned wheel, and OEM headlight. Experience at Royal Coach was great and I won’t be going anywhere else for paint work in the future. Front office was easy to work with and car came out great

88602F76-D1E9-405B-8B4C-041DBEFC15E6.jpeg

EADE9A89-62C4-4413-B856-9963728D535B.jpeg

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
How were you not mother fucking this person in the dash cam footage ?
Makes me want to buy one asap
Good time hear no harm and the car was fixed correctly.
How the cop can't use the footage is beyond me. It's obvious!

That actually amazes me as well :rofl:. It’s all a blur, you can hear a loud exhale on the video and that’s it. I was just amazed I didn’t hit the tree harder and no airbags went off. I usually fly off the handle pretty easily but the lady was really nice about it so that kind of set the tone.

Came out great!

:bigthumb: I’m really happy with my experience with Royal Coach. Should have had the bumper sprayed there the first time

Damn man, that sucks but it seems like you got everything taken care of. What dash cam do you have?

It’s a Blackvue DR-650S, I’ve turned the image quality to max after this incident. I don’t really care how much I can store on a card but I’d like image quality to be a bit better when I need it. Mine is 1080P and two channel for the front and rear. I think when the wife gets a new car I’ll be putting the DR-900X in hers which is basically the same but does 4K image quality. It’s nice because the camera has a wifi network you can connect your phone to. I had the video files transferred to my phone before the cop even pulled up.

Reactions: SleeperLS

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Damn Dan Joy that sucks you are getting dicked around by that chic’s insurance, but glad you got the car fixed! For a second seeing that Jeep I though you bought a new car.

hahaha. It really did grow on me. I could see buying a late 90’s soft top for the pure Jeep experience. Problem is they hold their value extremely well and I don’t like it enough to pay the premium even older ones are pulling.

Reactions: greasy

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Glad it wasn't worse! Great example of why it's important to have a dash cam to prove you weren't at fault. A number of years ago, I totaled out a car in an accident where the other driver was at fault. Her insurance company denied her coverage because she was on a suspended license, and shouldn't have been driving. I ended up paying my deductible for my insurance, as that's what Uninsured/underinsured motorist" covers for us. It sucks being out the deductible, but at least getting the repairs or replacement is worth it. I'd at least ask your insurance agent if they can go after the other motorist for damages through the court system, but since they didn't get a ticket (unbelievable!), they might not be able to do so... Car looks good!

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I'm shocked they would not use your video footage...

I've rented Jeeps like that twice, I totally agree with your review... Gas hog, vague connection to the road...

Insurance seems to be good with using it, and i actually loosely knew the cop so I don’t think he was just being lazy. Seems weird to me also, but maybe it’s because the footage was in my possession and not a traffic cam or something.

spot on about the Jeep. I kind of liked it after awhile but not as my main car for that kind of money. I was actually on cars.com earlier looking at early 2000’s ones and even with 140K miles and 17 years old they’re pulling over $10K :rofl:.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Almost would have been better pushing in her passenger side.

Can't believe she didn't even get a ticket for improper lane usage.

Glad you are okay and car is fixed.

I’ve debated that multiple times now :rofl:. Probably would have been better off just hitting her to let her share in my misery.

Reactions: boostedguy05

Thread Info