🔧 BUILD New car aquired: flat plane crank edition

General Information

2 long years of selling my V8 Fiero and beater OBS Ford 7.3 powerstroke, and searching on the internet for one of these things that was; 1 - no stripes and red 2 - sticker price or better 3 - tech package, have come to an end. Picked this up a couple weeks ago. I think because of the track package equipment (dif and trans coolers) as standard now on the 2017 the 2016's have come down in price. Which is fine for me because i don't intend to track it.

My driving Impressions: I'll spare you a lot of the obvious stuff, yeah its fast, revs to the moon, handles well, brakes great, blah blah blah. I was shocked at how comfortable and easy it is to drive and drive hard. I drove it from St. Louis non-stop and was really impressed by how effortless and quiet (exhaust in normal mode) it was on the highway. Seats are extremely comfy. Clutch is extremely light, wife's WRX is a much heavier clutch than the one on the Shelby. I was a bit worried it'd be finicky and a little hard to drive. Not the case at all. Can drive it very hard and not very easily feel like you're in trouble. Very very composed. Steering is very communicative. Braking is like nothing I've ever driven before. exhaust note is just beautiful, youtube videos don't do it justice. I like to downshift 2 or 3 gears, just to hear it.

Negatives I have are the clutch is a bit too numb and light for my liking.The point where the clutch bites is a little bit to high in the pedal travel for what I like. Steering has great feedback but on an uneven or bad road, you will find the low points and crown in the road and feel them in the steering wheel for sure. oh and pebbles and rocks get stuck in the body pretty easily. Guzzles gas, EPA weren't bullshitting with the 14 MPG rating.

Couldn't be happier. This thing exceeded my expectations. If you read the reviews, yes it is that good.
20170318_141337.jpg
shelby2.jpg
shelby1.jpg
flatplanecrank.jpg
Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
I don't get the crank shaft?

flat plane crank is what makes the voodoo engine what it is really. the counter weights are all in a flat plane 180 degrees apart vs. a cross plane crank that has the counter weights 90 degrees apart.

Flat plane cranks naturally rev higher and faster. Also due to the flat plane crank ford uses a different firing order than a cross plane crank.

The model flat plane cranks like the OP has were sold with the purchase of a GT350.

https://www.google.com/amp/jalopnik...nk-and-why-is-it-so-loud-an-ex-1659688239/amp

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
flat plane crank is what makes the voodoo engine what it is really. the counter weights are all in a flat plane 180 degrees apart vs. a cross plane crank that has the counter weights 90 degrees apart.

Flat plane cranks naturally rev higher and faster. Also due to the flat plane crank ford uses a different firing order than a cross plane crank.

The model flat plane cranks like the OP has were sold with the purchase of a GT350.

https://www.google.com/amp/jalopnik...nk-and-why-is-it-so-loud-an-ex-1659688239/amp

Beat me to it, although, not wrong, it's technically the crank journals 180* apart, vs. 90* on a typical V8 like the GenIII+ motor.

I was going to say, it would be nice if they finished the model though, instead of in rough cast.

Thread Info