Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

1600880635457.png

If you like cars as much as you like motorcycles, chances are that at one point in your career as an enthusiast, you’ve dreamed about owning a BMW M of some sort. Whicher number the M is followed by, the tri-colored badge has become a synonym of performance, thrill, and excitement at the wheel.

For a few years, BMW attempted to build a similar hype in its motorcycle line-up with the HP4 badge without nearly as much success. What was the only logical thing to do at that point? Use the proven M formula and apply it to motorcycles as well. A trio of M-branded trademarks appeared in Europe in September, 2019, and the first on the list has now made its official debut.

BMW Motorrad introduced the all-new track-ready M 1000 RR. Though the House of Munich previously released the M performance package that included accessories to improve the model’s handling, the M RR becomes the first motorcycle in the line-up to receive the proper M treatment.

In its M form, the inline-four is tweaked to churn out 212 horsepower at 14,500rpm—up from the “base” S that produces 205 horsepower at 13,000rpm—and 83 lb-ft of torque at 11,000rpm. The redline was also kicked up to 15,100rpm. Modifications to the interior components include new two-ring forged pistons, slimmer and lighter rock arms, machined intake ports with new duct geometry, titanium valves, as well as an optimized intake system with shorter intake funnels.

BMW also trimmed down whatever fat there was left on the already lightweight model to reduce its weight even further. The M is notably equipped with lighter pistons, Pankl titanium connecting rods, and an Akrapovič exhaust system which shaves 11 pounds off the standard model’s curb weight.

The RR remains true to its origins and is built on the same aluminum chassis as the S 1000 RR but the geometry was modified to enhance its handling on the track. Both the 45-mm upside-down fork and the rear strut and swingarm were also “optimized” with a slightly wider steering head angle and longer swingarm that increase the wheelbase by 0.7 inches and the ride height at the back by a fifth of an inch.

The model also becomes the first bike in the line-up to receive a set of M brakes that includes two 320-mm discs with four-piston calipers at the front and a 220-mm disc with a two-piston caliper at the back. The 17-inch wheels are now made of carbon and clad in 120/70 ZR 17 and 200/55 ZR 17 tires front and back, respectively.

From an aerodynamic standpoint, BMW took a page out of Ducati and Honda’s books and added a pair of clear-coat carbon winglets to increase the downforce at higher speeds and improve wheel contact.

On the technological front, the M comes with all the bells and whistles, including two adjustable throttle curves, five riding modes, launch control, dynamic traction control, hill-start control, pit lane limiter, navigation, and a 6.5-inch TFT display.

BMW has yet to announce U.S pricing. In the U.K., the price tag is set at £30,935 (US$39,385) while in Canada, the bike goes for CA$42,400 (US$31,815) so we can expect the new M 1000 RR to range somewhere between the two. That's a far cry from the former HP4’s and its eye-watering $95,000 price tag but this time, BMW is eyeing a WSBK championship and has to respect the price cap, which keeps the bike more “reasonably” priced.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
The hardest sell (for me) on a bike like this isn't the price, it's the fact that it would not be covered in an accident during a race and maybe not even a track day. Imagine going full yardsale in to t1 with a $35k bike....NOPENOPENOPE

If i totaled my bike on the track now I can justify the loss in my head. I'd have parts to sell, I've had it over 5 years, etcetc. Could not do that with this thing, not even close, lol

I frequently see guys on $40k v4r's riding in intermediate class, aka crashtest dummy practice sessions, and I almost can't believe it.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
The hardest sell (for me) on a bike like this isn't the price, it's the fact that it would not be covered in an accident during a race and maybe not even a track day. Imagine going full yardsale in to t1 with a $35k bike....NOPENOPENOPE

If i totaled my bike on the track now I can justify the loss in my head. I'd have parts to sell, I've had it over 5 years, etc. etc. Could not do that with this thing, not even close, lol

I frequently see guys on $40k v4r's riding in intermediate class, aka crashtest dummy practice sessions, and I almost can't believe it.
At Road America (for STT) there was a guy running his new 1098 tricolore in the Advanced class with an instructor running rear blocker for him. I buzzed him in Kettle Bottom coming into Canada Corner on my 600 doing well over 140 mph. If he was doing over 80 mph I'd eat my leathers. Dude was a one-man parade obstacle during a hot session cause he didn't want to damage the bike. GTFO, go ride in novice.

• Angry
Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
At Road America (for STT) there was a guy running his new 1098 tricolore in the Advanced class with an instructor running rear blocker for him. I buzzed him in Kettle Bottom coming into Canada Corner on my 600 doing well over 140 mph. If he was doing over 80 mph I'd eat my leathers. Dude was a one-man parade obstacle during a hot session cause he didn't want to damage the bike. GTFO, go ride in novice.
1098's are junk too. It was probably broken, lol

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
They talk about the power being upped and give numbers, then shaving some weight off, but don't actually list a dry or wet weight?
Dry weight
375 lbs. (M Competition Package 374 lbs.) without battery

Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled
423 lbs. (M Competition Package 423 lbs.)
1)

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I rode my friend's 1098S at RA and it was a lot of fun even on street tires. Was more confidence inspiring than the 600 I had been tracking for 2-3 years. Pulled hard everywhere. He did the normal maintenance and the PM for it, never once had an issue with anything on the bike.

Now, his brother's 999 was a world class piece of shit, LOL

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Actually, pretty much all those racing bike series take units from dealers and prep them for track to a varying degree. Super Stock classes can only make minimal changes. There have been times where teams have had major mechanical failures, or the bikes not making it to the track, and they’ve gone to the local dealer, bought a bike, took it to the track and raced it.

MotoGP is an exception as those are prototypes that filter technology down to the production bikes.

Reactions: BS ISF
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info