Need Towing Advice

JerryLSX

Regular
Feb 28, 2016
NWI
I'm picking up a truck tomorrow and need some advice on towing it home. I'm using a tow dolly behind my father's 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab. It's a 4.7L V8 with 4x4 so should have enough power to pull. The truck I'm towing on the dolly is a 1997 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab V8 4x4.

Now.... would it be okay to pull it in Neutral

OR

Do I remove the driveshaft and hang it up on the body.

I was told it's a bad idea to tow a vehicle in Neutral because it ruins the transmission.

JerryLSX

Regular
Feb 28, 2016
NWI
is there a way to put the transfer case in neutral?

Yes, there's a 4H, 4L, and N position like post old 4x4 trucks. My only fear is not being able to loosen the bolts. I got a can of WD-40, a breaker bar, cordless impact, and limited patience lol.

I gotta tow it from Lake Geneva, WI to Hammond, IN.

So maybe taking the drive shaft out maybe a safe bet. It's my first time towing anything to be honest.

JerryLSX

Regular
Feb 28, 2016
NWI
i wouldnt risk it. chances are with the t-case in neutral it will be fine for a short distance, but that's not a chance i'd take.
the bolts holding the u-joints in may look rusty, but they usually come out no problem.

I was testing how to remove the drive shaft on my dad's truck, it was pretty hard. The rust really holds it tight, but I know enough leverage will break it loose.

Dave M

TCG Elite Member
Aug 28, 2015
Gurnee
Real Name
Morefield
The problem with pulling an automatic is that even in neutral you are still turning the transmission internals, but without the engine running, there is no fluid being pumped through the trans, so you'll likely burn up some bearings. Since the T-case can be put in neutral, disconnecting it from the transmission, and it has it's own lubrication like a manual trans, you could put the back tires on the dolly, and lock down the steering so you can pull it backwards as a last resort.

JerryLSX

Regular
Feb 28, 2016
NWI
Well, I Got it Home!

It took me a while, but got it home. What I ended up doing was loading it on the dolly, putting it in Neutral, took it to a mechanic shop so they could help me remove the drive shaft, locked the steering wheel and went on my way. I just made sure to keep tightening the straps so it wouldn't fall off. Surprisingly, the truck had enough power to pull the truck.

KM4FlkNl.jpg

The truck is a 1997 Dodge Dakota. Has a 318 5.2L V8 swapped in, with a "rebuilt" 44RE transmission, Posi rear end, and 4x4. It's got a lot wrong with it but it's gonna be my beater, not too worried about it. For $800, I don't think I did too bad.

SlJ7ltSl.jpg

0hsaaE5l.jpg

I started cleaning it out till it poured rain.

JerryLSX

Regular
Feb 28, 2016
NWI
I learned something!

So turns out you can't tow a truck in Neutral on the highway for too long. We got lazy and didn't remove the driveshaft on my new parts truck, motor was shot and the drivetrain was useless to us anyway. Well, when we got home we realized that if you wanna keep your transmission from completely self destructing, you should probably remove the driveshaft. There was trans fluid everywhere, all over the dolly and we only noticed AFTER we got home. MEH, who cares, was a useless V6 transmission anyway. It was so hard to push I ended up just pulling it with my other truck. I'll open up the transmission pan soon and see what kinda carnage is in there, i'm really curious.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info