• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Need Suggested Torque for Head bolts

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Have fun with that! If there is a trace of oil in the holes, the bolts will never tighten up and just stretch.

IIRC, the torque sequence goes something like this:

30ft lbs and 90 degrees more, then loosen.
90ft lbs then an additional 90 degrees.

Dont quote me on that, but i think its right!

zimmer0924

Master Debater
Jul 2, 2008
Have fun with that! If there is a trace of oil in the holes, the bolts will never tighten up and just stretch.

IIRC, the torque sequence goes something like this:

30ft lbs and 90 degrees more, then loosen.
90ft lbs then an additional 90 degrees.

Dont quote me on that, but i think its right!

Is that right? 90FT LBS? Seems abit much. Can any one confirm. I just don't to screw this up. Thanks Zack.

zimmer0924

Master Debater
Jul 2, 2008
give me 2 minutes

2 minutes up.
I already torqued them to 90lbs. I hope thats not bad. I dont think it should cause that big of an issue. The bolts did not break or strip any thing. The head gasket should not be in any danger of breaking like normal head gaskets. I used the ford multilayer metal gasket.
Please let me know cause now you got me worried and questioning my self.

zimmer0924

Master Debater
Jul 2, 2008
Just searched a few Mustang sites and came up with this:

Cylinder head bolts DOHC (four valve Cobra, and Mach One)
--Step 1 28-31ft/lbs
--Step 2 Tighten additional 90 degrees
--Step 3 Tighten additional 90 degrees

I read the same thing. But I think their talking about the 99/01 Cobra's. I think they used different gaskets. Oh and there not supercharged so there torque would be alot lower.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info