• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Need some help..

TraptPatriot

Reaction score
So here's the story - I really like cars, and I enjoy working on them, but I have little to no experience or the tools to even attempt anything more than hand tools can do. But I still try to do what I can, and help out and learn whatever I can..

Anyway, my "buddy" Phil has been a friend of mine for a couple years now. He is one of the only Regal owners close-by that I know of, and he has always helped me out with parts and doing work on my Regal.

Fast forward to now, and I feel like I am being screwed over. This "friend" of mine is trying to charge me at least $1000 for removing/putting in a trans, removing/putting on new exhaust, and putting in my cam/roller rockers. Now I can totally understand him wanting to get paid, because this is a lot of work, but seriously? That is so disheartening, with the prices he is trying to charge me I don't even have enough to get my car fixed (trans is busted).

Basically, I was just wondering if anyone in the area would be nice enough to help. The main thing I would need help with would be the cam/roller rockers (and the supporting parts), but possibly even the trans removal/put in. I have a garage, but no power tools or air tools.

I can pay whoever offers to help, and I never forget a debt... I mean shoot, I have enough pride that I feel awkward even asking for help. But it is what it is.

And if you guys are curious about who I am, yes I am fairly new on here, but Kevin (HEAVYKEVY) knows me from multiple other forums we frequent, and I am sure he can vouch that I am a nice guy...

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
Reaction score
sounds like hes going by zzp install prices and whatnot... ive never even attempted to remove the trans (yet) and I'm sure it aint easy

who are we talking about, is he on the regal board?

TraptPatriot

Reaction score
He used to be, and only part time. systmbldr21.

Like I said, I know this is a lot of work, but we are supposed to be good friends and all... Heck, if the situations were reversed, I would say just buy the parts and cover me some food/beer and all is good.. But still, I totally understand wanting to be paid, and I can pay, but his prices are going to leave me with no car for even longer. And he wants the cash upfront. =(

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
Reaction score
He used to be, and only part time. systmbldr21.

Like I said, I know this is a lot of work, but we are supposed to be good friends and all... Heck, if the situations were reversed, I would say just buy the parts and cover me some food/beer and all is good.. But still, I totally understand wanting to be paid, and I can pay, but his prices are going to leave me with no car for even longer. And he wants the cash upfront. =(
i remember him, he had a bunch of mods and custom stuff?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
That's because i'm going to run 11's with no i/c or turbo :smile:

I know someone that can help you, but that's a lot of work IMO. James (turbosbctacoeater :mamoru:) or Double d would probably tackle this as well but they have quite a bit on their plate as it stands, however they have accomplished more :rofl: I'll find out how much the guy i know wants and let you know via pm.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Took me like 8-10 hours for a cam swap. With the addition of trans removal that's a lot of time. $1000 isn't terrible honestly but being a friend it's a lot. I've never charged a friend for my help...... Especially if they're there to help.

Theautoguy

Reaction score
I've pulled a trans out the top a couple times and yes, it is a lot of work! Add a cam install and the supporting stuff. I'm out of work right now and I'd charge at least $6-700, if I had a job the price of my free time would be over $1000 for that much stuff.

TraptPatriot

Reaction score
Ok, as it stands I am just going to have him do the trans and the exhaust. I've already paid him for the exhaust, and I might as well have him do the trans. I will just try to find someone else to do the cam install.

TonzKnock-G

Donating Member
Reaction score
1k for trans swap, exhaust swap, and cam/rocker install..... not bad at all in my opinion

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
Reaction score
James you are the best. 1000 for everything isn't bad really... as much as that is hard to swallow.

I know I don't have the facilities and my free time is limited with the other projects going on. The install is one thing, but getting it running right and tuning and all that is another... if that's included to some degree even the 1000 is worth it

TraptPatriot

Reaction score
He is not doing any tuning, only swapping in the parts. I paid him $100 for credits on his HPTuners, but he only did one thing - increase my shift points in perf. shift.

Yes, $1000 isn't bad, but he knows my money situation and he will not even cut me a break or an IOU.

TraptPatriot

Reaction score
maybe he's hard up for cash

or really not your friend
Yea, he works an awesome job, and still lives at home, so I know he isn't pressed for cash...

This whole "friend" thing has got me wondering. Oh well, I already have another guy that is going to take apart the engine for free, but I am still throwing some bucks his way.

It's good to ask around I guess.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom