• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Need some help with SRX power steering line replacement...

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Nope. Endless searches online come up with nothing.... looks like ill need to pull out the sway bar link, axle, and some wire looms?

Say it aint so for a stupid power steering line.... this is my uneducated guess so any service manual info would be much appreciated.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Got it in last night. Had to disconnect sway bar link, which I couldn't get off and ended up destroying it... Then jacked up the a arm and was able to snake the stupid hard line into place around the brake lines, abs wire loom, axle, sway bar, and up over the front frame rail and back down to the cooler.

Then installed new Moog sway bar link.

That was a pain in the ass. Now I actually look forward to pulling the transfer case out to replace the chain and sockets...

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Bump as a new power steering issue popped up Sunday.

On Sunday morning, went to drive the car after driving it that morning without issue, and all power steering was gone.

The fluid is full (no leaks), there's no extra noise coming from the pump, pulley is tuning fine and connected to the shaft from the pump.

Now since the system is not leaking very much and the fluid is full, i would say the lines that were replaced recently are not the problem. That leaves the PS pump or the Rack...

This sound logical to TCG? And has anyone encountered a rack being the source of loss of power steering while still able to turn manually?

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
OK, so I went home and rapped on the pump. Started the car and the power steering was back. Then I went inside and ate lunch. Came back out to take the car to work and the power steering wasn't working again.

Sounds like it is the valve, but may need to replace the pump anyways if it's going to have the pressure value continue to get stuck open...

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
What fluid you fill with?
next time bump it until the valve works and then turn your steering and bounce it off of the steering lock a few times to help lubricant n reseat the valve
you don't have to replace the pump I have had good luck removing the line then removing the fitting popping out the valve and spring and scuffing the valve with emery
But try to unstick it and bounce it a bunch first

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
What fluid you fill with?
next time bump it until the valve works and then turn your steering and bounce it off of the steering lock a few times to help lubricant n reseat the valve
you don't have to replace the pump I have had good luck removing the line then removing the fitting popping out the valve and spring and scuffing the valve with emery
But try to unstick it and bounce it a bunch first

Filled with regular power steering fluid...

I'll try this tonight. Thanks for the help, James.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Was rapping on it again last night and it wouldn't free up the valve again... Did notice that if I kept the rpms up around 3k or so, that there was some power steering available again. I am guessing this is from the fluid getting by the relief valve.

I'm guessing the next thing is to pull the pump and look into having it rebuilt or just getting a new one...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info