Need other people's thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
You were monitoring it when it blew right? Post up the log. Also you changed up the pulley which is imagine would up the boost, so did you tube it for the added air? If not then its going to lean out
I was monitoring on torque, I don't have the fancy DHP setup.

3.4 pulley is super conservative. we're talking a mostly stock car can run it.

Cold engine burnouts brah
3800tec kickin

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
junk yard motor throw your cam in it if its still good (probably not good though), what injectors you running? most the time they throw a rod then the piston shatters normally its the rod that windows the block as well, it detonated pretty hard to do that, and almost always parts of pistons go back into the intake when she blows

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
If you go l26 you're likely going to blow that up as well. It's weaker and higher compression. You will need it professionally tuned. I think Syp's boy can do it, he's tuned a couple 3800 cars. Not sure if he'll want the hassle, though.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
tumblr_mvv1qtdBSj1sgl0ajo1_500.gif

If you go l26 you're likely going to blow that up as well. It's weaker and higher compression. You will need it professionally tuned. I think Syp's boy can do it, he's tuned a couple 3800 cars. Not sure if he'll want the hassle, though.

If he's sticking with a 3.4 pulley there's no reason an l26 shouldn't be able to handle it. My L26 that just took a craps did fine up until around 25psi boost. Nothing wrong with getting another L67 either. L32s are like twice the money in my neck of the woods.

I'll second the local tuning, or get HP Tuners and a wideband and learn to do it yourself. If you're familiar with logging and watching for knock already then you're half way there.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
If he's sticking with a 3.4 pulley there's no reason an l26 shouldn't be able to handle it. My L26 that just took a craps did fine up until around 25psi boost. Nothing wrong with getting another L67 either. L32s are like twice the money in my neck of the woods.

I'll second the local tuning, or get HP Tuners and a wideband and learn to do it yourself. If you're familiar with logging and watching for knock already then you're half way there.

So he blew up an l67... And an l26 is ok? :ugh:

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
this reminds me of the time GTP mikes car assploded at the BP Nurburgring. chunks of piston crunched up in the rotors

which time? :bowrofl:
when it blew racing KJ on the BP proving grounds was the worst carnage i've seen personally. there wasn't anything left of the piston. :eek3:

so wait, you're comfortable doing a complete engine build from a bare block (not at all recommended btw) but not a turbo kit?
if i were doing a 3800 build again, i'd be selling the cam, and picking up a j-yard l26 then slapping turbo and rockers on. get it tuned and you have a quick reliable car that even on low boost would dust your current m90/cam build.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
one of those cost me a motor back in the day also with a similar build, have someone tune it in person or get a dyno tune and a wideband
Wideband was a future plan, when I had the exhaust shop weld the header downpipe to my existing exhaust I also had the second bung installed for it. :thumbs:

Finding someone trustworthy to do the tube is my sketchy area.

I would not feel comfortable with an engine that was never meant to have boost on it from the factory in my car. I drive everything like a pissed off sixteen year old girl.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
which time? :bowrofl:
when it blew racing KJ on the BP proving grounds was the worst carnage i've seen personally. there wasn't anything left of the piston. :eek3:

so wait, you're comfortable doing a complete engine build from a bare block (not at all recommended btw) but not a turbo kit?
if i were doing a 3800 build again, i'd be selling the cam, and picking up a j-yard l26 then slapping turbo and rockers on. get it tuned and you have a quick reliable car that even on low boost would dust your current m90/cam build.
The factory rotating assembly never came apart. Heads only came off so I could do the valve springs and check to make sure there was no pre-existing damage in the cylinder bores or to the pistons. It's more a fear of Idunno how to tune in the slightest and it's basically a fear of the unknown.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
The factory rotating assembly never came apart. Heads only came off so I could do the valve springs and check to make sure there was no pre-existing damage in the cylinder bores or to the pistons. It's more a fear of Idunno how to tune in the slightest and it's basically a fear of the unknown.

your option 3 in the OP was rebuild using a bare block. not recommended. lol
the beauty of going turbo with these cars is everyone is doing it, which means there is plenty of info and help if you run into any trouble. plus a second hand kit can be had on the cheap.
you'd have to take it to a professional tuner considering you have no tuning experience. if you rebuild and put that zzp tune back in you're going to cache another engine, so you should figure out who's going to tune your car whichever way you end up going. :jg:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info