Need opinions on bathroom remodel...ugh

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
This bathroom has sucked since the day we got the house. Ripped up the tile, concrete board, 1/8" misc board and now finally down to the actual floor since I found out the toliet was leaking for who knows how long. Cut a nice piece of the floor out but not sure where to go from here. If I cut along the wall / yellow line and drop a new piece in there will be no support where the two pieces touch. Is that going to be an issue? On the other side not pictured I stopped halfway on a joist.
fullsizeoutput_21e0.jpeg

Also the last owner did who knows what. Moved the sink and walls, I have no fucking idea but this is my layout. The toliet isn't next to the sink so it's just a fucked up looking layout. I mean shit, look how he installed the countertop. And it's been like that since I've been here and didn't know since the counter went wall to wall.
UZ1D0glbTaa5+k8SeUzdiw.jpg

OvCTHSKySPe%MDSSXpcVUg.jpg

So hear me out here....I don't have much taste in what looks good or modern or anything. Need some help.
Wife wants a light grey vinyl plank floor. Ok fine.
I'm thinking doing some white wainscoting around the entire bathroom to help cover up some of the 98 layers of paint from where the counter top was.
Darker wood vinyl plank peel / stick shit on the wall from the wainscoting to the ceiling. To cover up all the glue from the mirror and only that wall.
White toliet / Simple Grey vanity. And the other walls....white or another grey?

Honestly have no idea and could use suggestions. Not sure if the wainscoting will make it feel smaller or if the darker plank wall will make it feel smaller or be too much contrast. I've been looking for hours for ideas and can't find anything I like. Seems like everything is so much easier when the toliet is next to the sink then I can just throw up a large mirror and it's halfway done.

Also still nervous to remove the light. If that fucker has the conduit coming out on the left side i'm going to lose my biscuits. :unsure:
and also i have no intention on telling the wife my plans of what i am doing, i'm just going to do it. pray for me..

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
You will want support along that seam in the subflooring or it will bounce and move around a bunch.
We have wainscoting in our small master bath, it was a pain in the ass but looks nice.
I would be cautious so anything with dark tones as itll make the room look even smaller.
Beyond that, do what your wife wants for colors or finishes. If you don't you will get the pleasure of doing it again soon.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Lighter colors, brighter and bigger looking. New vanity / sink, nice light fixture will do wonders. Wainscoting is personal taste, but go with the wood material.

I really dislike vinyl peel n stick. Durable, but hit or miss if they stick (may need persuading / gorilla glue). My wife bought the peel n stick planks and if she could do it again, ceramic planks. Looks nicer.

Reactions: Jon01

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Like Jon said, you definitely need to support that floor. Just add blocking perpendicular to the floor joists, running from the visible one to the one under the wall.

I also hate peel and stick wall coverings.

I don't have much of an eye for style as well. Customers usually just tell me what they want, and I build it. I don't get much call for wainscoting, but here is one I did a few years ago. FB_IMG_1607779978012.jpg

FB_IMG_1607779993246.jpg

Reactions: v6buicks and Jon01

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Yeah skip the peel and stick shit. Itll only cause more problems.

It may be worth finding a drywall guy who does work on the side and having the walls fixed right. You may be surprised on the cost not being much if any more than all the shit you're going to go through to cover it up.
Then it's done right and won't fall apart in 3 years.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
I was gonna say just tear it down to studs and be done with it.
Then you can seam that subfloor in under the wall and support it right.
The other pain in the ass about wainscoting is the exposed edge at the top - you'll need some kind of trim to finish that edge off. Are you a good enough trim carpenter to make it look right?

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
After some coffee, in looking at that bathroom I bet its under 500 to hang all new drywall and finish.
I wouldn't even fuck with any of the other ideas for the 2-250 you'd be saving by the time you buy the other shit, paint it and mess with installing it.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I have a small house and of course, the bathroom is no different. The toilet and sink were right next to one another. Even smaller people though the toilet sandwiched between the wall and vanity had a very cramped feeling. When I remodeled it I chose a small tank toilet and smaller vanity/sink. The smaller counter space and smaller sink took some time to get accustomed to. But it opened up the bathroom a lot.

The smaller tank toilet allowed me to go from the round bowl to the elongated bowl. That made it more comfortable to use. The smaller tank moved the toilet back to the wall to allow the door to close with the longer style bowl. Because the tank is smaller, it looks less bulky between the wall and vanity.

I went with a vanity that was narrower as well as less front to back length. This meant less sink space. It made sitting on the toilet less cramped with the narrower width. But with it ending closer to the wall, it ends before your arms and legs. Making it more open and less cramped. Plus there is more space in the bathroom to maneuver. I'll see if I have any pictures. I should have some before and after pics somewhere.

There are options to save yourself some space. It just depends on what you are willing to give up to gain in other areas.

Also, get drywall done. I think you will be happy that you did it in the long run. You won't want to get back in to re-do things later.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Here are a few before and after. It's a small space so it was hard to get pictures showing how cramped it was lol Hopefully it'll inspire you some.

View attachment 76208

View attachment 76209

View attachment 76211

View attachment 76212
Very nicely done sir. Have seen a lot of bathrooms identical to that when I used to help my Dad paint at apartment complexes.
Digging the phone jack on the old vanity lol. Question though, why the 2 outlets so close together

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Thanks. My uncle is a carpenter / contractor. He did a lot of the work.

There was a outlet over the toilet already. He wanted to do the outlet over the sink for some reason. I think because he ran a box there to run power to the vanity. As we put a switch in it to power the led lights under the vanity. I didn't really want an outlet there. I thought the one over the toilet is close enough. There is another one on the wall next to the door too. In a cubby hole. But I wasn't gonna fight with him over it. Lol

When I moved into the house I mounted a dummy phone in there for a while. People got a kick out of it. But that's just nasty to think of a phone in there like That. haha Plus it made sitting on the toilet even more cramped lol

Reactions: Jon01 and Shawn1112

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Another thought, to kind of build on what Pressure Ratio Pressure Ratio brought up - a pedestal sink would open that area up a lot.
I thought about that too but the pipes are too far apart coming up from the floor to hide any of it

Are you a good enough trim carpenter to make it look right?
absolutely.......not

I can't cut a straight line in wood to save my life.

update:
so the wife thinks it's a big bathroom and we need a big vanity or it will look stupid. I think the opposite. Anywho she settled on a 30" dark colored one. I'm not saying shit about size and let her see it after the fact.

Appreciate the help. I did put 2 2x4's perpendicular at the back of the toliet to support the floor. Threw in the new plywood.
Bought some 1/2" plywood for the sub floor and put 2 pieces down and screwed it in....only to realize i was using drywall screws. FML. I went and got some flooring nails and these suck balls. I can swing a hammer decently but these fuckers bend when blowing on them. I have to remove the 50 screws now so they don't back out and ruin the plank floor i guess.
Spent some time sanding and hammering nails to make the floor as flat as can be so there is no wobble.
To get the sub floor under the door frame I had to notch it out but I used a small 3" disc and instead of notching I cut it at an angle so it would shim into the frame and help support it. Worked out pretty damn good.

With any luck I'll have the floor done this week. Then I can tackle the toliet flange that i had to cut off since I cracked a spot taking it off.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Sooooo another thought....how hard is it too move the plumbing for the toilet?
I almost wonder if the last owners didn't redo it since it's damn near impossible to find a toilet that will fit without being in the way of the door. Probably no better time to make it like a normal bathroom on the same wall as the vanity then I can at least get a elongated toilet.

Curious if I can just use the existing piping that is already there, put a 90* on it, go straight for 4' then a 90* up. Never done this so not sure if there are requirements on bend radius or how many bends. Would hate to have a clog downstream of the toilet.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Gamble Gamble if I'm picturing what you're talking about correctly, it should be that simple. 90, pipe, 90, flange. You're not moving it through any floor joists are you?
Just make sure you have gravity working with you.
Youtube and Google are your friend on this stuff, none of it's rocket science.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Stupid google says no 90* but my brother is a plumber and says it’s fine. I spent 2 hours today fighting to get the old pvc off that is glued in. What a bitch. I need every inch of space possible.
got the hole drilled in the floor and will do a 90* then go to the old drain and 90 into that.
cut the wall and made room for the water pipe
Also FML found a board that didn’t lock in right in the middle of the floor so I have to take it apart again

if it won’t look stupid I am considering putting a bidet where the old toilet was. Water and drain are already there. They would just face each other

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Thanks
I wanted the wood on the wall to go up against it but I guess I had to leave room for expansion which is good since the wall wasn't perfectly straight anyway. Not sure what I use should to cut up the gaps just yet. Quarter round looks odd.

Very nice. Toilet paper holder is awesome, where did you get that from?

also got this sign

And going to do some variation of this sign

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info