Need opinions on a Fox body...

Nay_Sayer

Regular
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2017
Looking at an '87 Fox body. Seller gives the following description on this vehicle:

I bought the car in 2014 to setup for street/strip and run as a weekend toy. I really like it but never drive it. Spending more money on the boat so its time for the car to go.

Engine was rebuilt in 2016. Block was decked and align honed but still running standard bore (still had original cross hatch and met dimensional specs after machine honing only) with stock forged pistons and rotating assembly with ARP fasteners. Rotating assembly was balanced while in the shop. Brand new Twisted wedge 11r 190 heads Street ported with 56cc chambers put compression around 10.5:1.
Crane ultra gold rocker arms and Lunati 284/292 .500/.510 cam with Ford racing double roller timing chain setup. BBK 76 mm mass air sensor with 24lb. injectors and high volume fuel pump feeding BBK aluminum rail. High volume oil pump, GT40 intake Ford racing AC delete running original clutch fan setup. Misimoto aluminum radiator and MSD coil. Aftermarket harmonic balancer and Ford racing aluminum valve covers.

Factory clutch and original T5 transmission with Hurst short throw shifter. Car is equipped with line lock and drive shaft safety loop. It has Ford racing aluminum drive shaft back to 8.8 setup with 3.73 rear axle ratio. Engine was dyno tuned by Lidio at Alternative Performance and had best pull of 288hp and 336 ft/lbs of torque at rear wheels.

The car was fitted with new front frame rails and shock towers were reinforced when the Racecraft steel K member was installed. Setup with coil overs and Racecraft 12" Arms using caster/cam plates. 12" x 225lb. Racecraft springs.

Maximum motorsports firewall adjuster, clutch quadrant and strut tower brace.

Tubular rear control arms with new factory style bushings on the rear axle. Sub-frame connectors are welded with reinforced area at the back.

The car has hawk brake pads/shoes with Summit racing painted calipers. Running original 4 lug setup with weld wheels. 15 x 6 front and 15 x 8 rear with stock tire size on the rear. Speedo is correct with current tire. I am also including 15 x 4 front runners and 15 x 10 rear with old slicks that I brought but never ran on the car.

Also included are stainless rear tail pipes that I had on the car but took off to put turn down dumps after the flow masters. It sounds to good to run it through out a tail pipe.
There is a 7 quart oil pan with pickup for SBF and a T5 from a 96 3.8 liter Mustang also included. I saved from a car being scrapped this because it supposedly is similar to the 87 trans. Not sure how accurate that info is.

Issues with the car

The paint looks nice but from a distance but does have various chips and scratches. Right front fender has a rattle can touch up job on it. Previous owner had a dry rotted tire blow and smack the fender. The dent was pushed out and finished but paint job is ugly.

Small Rust holes at the lowest point of floor pan foot well on both side. 3" x 3" patch would take care of it. The rest of the floor is clean just had problem where water sat at the lowest point.

Drivers door has the electrical connections reversed for the power window. This happened when the drive motor was replaced and I intended to fix it when putting new speakers in but never got to it. Window works great but buttons are opposite for motion up/down.

Lower door flanges look like they may have had rust in the past and then resealed and painted. Chips in paint along driver side door where some kid was bumping into with his bicycle handle bars. A small dent on driver side area of the roof.

Driver side seat has some small cracks starting in the vinyl.

Battery is at least 5 years old and needs to be replaced.

Rack for power steering drips a small amount when car is stored. Nothing major just enough to annoy you. Never had to add in 4 years.

Cam is toward the more radical side for a street car. She tends to lunge a little if you are trying to idle around the wal-mart parking Lot.

Runs great but I would not use this car to train a new driver on how to drive a manual transmission.

Car gets compliments but really needs a fresh paint job to match compliment the terrific shape it is in. This is not a rust bucket!

Is this vehicle worth $6k?

Thanks

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Sounds like it's runs healthy, if the seller is accurate with the shape of the body and the rust. Patching a floor pan is pretty easy to do and could be done in a day. The fender and paint is a different story, your looking at over a grand for a cheap fix if you want a show quality paint job it's going to cost a lot more unless you do the work yourself.

I'd be worried about where there is more rust, not that the seller is trying to pull a fast one but they may not know all of it. I'd do a thorough check of the front shock towers, frame rails, hatch area tail light panel and trunk floors.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Looking at an '87 Fox body. Seller gives the following description on this vehicle:

Is this vehicle worth $6k?

Thanks

So did you win the auction?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info