Need New TV. Need Suggestions

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Just what the title says. I need a new tv. My 2015 Sharp Aquos tv decided to not want to work. The backlight went out and it's an excuse to buy a temporary new one. I do plan on buying a better, higher end model tv some time down the road, but currently need something for my main living room. I'm looking at about 70", and something under $900. Under $800 would be a bonus. I'm hoping (and I know I'm limited), for roughly HDMI 2.1 and 120hz refresh rate. Something I can at least use somewhat most of the current potential of my ps5. Any suggestions?

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
The HDMI 2.1/120Hz is going to be a challenge at that price range and size.

I'm running a 2019 Samsung Q60R 55" and for the most part have been happy with it. Should have spent the extra money and gone up to the Q70 though. There are some good LG and surprisingly Vizio models in your size/price range, but they probably won't have the HDMI 2.1.

Mook Mook is a well of knowledge when it comes to TV's.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Just what the title says. I need a new tv. My 2015 Sharp Aquos tv decided to not want to work. The backlight went out and it's an excuse to buy a temporary new one. I do plan on buying a better, higher end model tv some time down the road, but currently need something for my main living room. I'm looking at about 70", and something under $900. Under $800 would be a bonus. I'm hoping (and I know I'm limited), for roughly HDMI 2.1 and 120hz refresh rate. Something I can at least use somewhat most of the current potential of my ps5. Any suggestions?
If you're not looking at an OLED for now, my advice would be TCL or Hisense. I'm not sure how big TCL gets but pretty sure Hisense has 70"+.

RTINGS is always a good site to do some research for all things TV.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I do eventually plan on getting a TV and when I'm ready, I'm talking about most likely getting a top of the line Sony Bravia. Loved the xbr I had when lcd tvs were starting to be a thing and lasted a while up until 4k started becoming HDR.
Sony's OLEDs still use LG panels but they are CRAZY pricey usually. They have good processors tho and typically handle a few things better than LG. But are they worth the extra 1k+ usually? I'd say no.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Sony's OLEDs still use LG panels but they are CRAZY pricey usually. They have good processors tho and typically handle a few things better than LG. But are they worth the extra 1k+ usually? I'd say no.
I'll keep that in mind when I'm ready to buy the high end TV. Miniscule differences don't matter so I wouldn't mind changing my mind. Just loved the xbr I had "back in the day."

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood

That was my dilemma.... Ive always bought Sony sets, but looking at OLED's I dont think I can justify the price difference.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I dunno why anyone buys an LG that isnt an OLED. Their regular tvs typically suck.

The LG NANO85 is a decent TV for mixed usage. It performs best as a gaming TV or as a PC monitor thanks to its low input lag and good response time. It's not the best choice for watching movies in a dark room since it has a low contrast ratio, poor black uniformity, and a bad local dimming feature. Luckily with its IPS panel, it has wide viewing angles if you want to watch a show or the big game with a big group of people.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
If you're not looking at an OLED for now, my advice would be TCL or Hisense. I'm not sure how big TCL gets but pretty sure Hisense has 70"+.

RTINGS is always a good site to do some research for all things TV.

my tcl roku is fucking awesome.

i paid a crazy amount for my 55 sony led tv and looking back.... whoops. but oh well.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
The HDMI 2.1/120Hz is going to be a challenge at that price range and size.

I'm running a 2019 Samsung Q60R 55" and for the most part have been happy with it. Should have spent the extra money and gone up to the Q70 though. There are some good LG and surprisingly Vizio models in your size/price range, but they probably won't have the HDMI 2.1.

Mook Mook is a well of knowledge when it comes to TV's.
Also have the Q60R, 55". It's a great TV and wasn't totally overpriced. I sometimes think the same about having just stepped up into the Q70 and a 65". :rofl:

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info