need help with my exhaust.....

CrimsonCobra_01

Regular
Mar 15, 2004
Yo everyone, i am lookin for some help with my new bassani x pipe. i installed it on sat morning so thats why i couldnt make it to the dyno, i really wanted to go but didnt want to bring a "completely" stock car.

anyways, install wasnt too bad but now i hear a leak whenever i get above 3500 rpms, dunno what to do. i tried to tighten everythin but it still happens. it doesnt do it when im not in gear, only when i floor it..

so to anyone who is interested in helpin me one night or on a weekend i would be ever so greatful, plus ill bring the booze and after we can hit up some high school chicks and party,

thanks

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
CrimsonCobra_01 said:
yeah i made sure the gasket was there. looked good to me, i just dont understand why it leaks only when im in higher rpms??
Its not that it just leaks there, thats just when you can hear it. My LTs leak, but I can only hear it under slight load around 2500rpms. How tight did you go on the clamps? How much space did you overlap the pipes?

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
I don't know specifically about the Bassani stuff but some aftermarket mid pipes do not fit tight on the driver's side manifold because of the shoulders on the factory studs. It is an easy fix to swap the factory shouldered studs to studs from NAPA that do not have the shoulder on them.

But again, I'm not sure about the Bassani set up. I know I had to swap them on my 02 GT when I put a Prochamber on it though. If you find out that you need the studs I can dig up the part #.

OK first off ALWAYS use new gaskets-for everything. This includes the gasket on the pass. side exhaust manifold to X gasket. I think i paid 5.00 for a new one why not. The old one was squished. And most important for me on my install was the fact that the flange on the Bassani had bigger holes than needed-creating a chance for the flange to be off center. Its impossible to hold the flange center then put the bolts on and tighten without the flange slipping around-I took the nut and used a black magic marker and drew a circle around the nut centered of the hole in the flange so that i could line them up while they were still snug-then tighten the rest of the way-perfectly centered. Lyle

KTs03

King of Fools
Mar 10, 2004
I had the same problem. It's the gasket. I short-cutted the installation and used the old gasket knowing damn well that gar-lock gaskets don't hold a seal more than once 99.9% of the time. So of course I had to drive around with an embarrassing exhaust leak for three days while I waited for it to be delivered to the dealer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info