• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Need help with clunk in the rear.

DJ

Forum Sponsor
Oct 20, 2005
Let me start with the background and everything I have done to this point. I bought the car from a down to earth and nice guy that is actually on the forum. When I purchased it he told me that I need to replace the upper control arm bolts because it has an light clunk. He was right I pulled the uca bolts and they had large grooves in them and the stock ucas were trashed. Hole was double the normal size. I think no big deal I bought a set of UPR adjustable ucas and a set of hardened bolts for the whole rear end. At the same time as replacing the bolts I threw on some cut mach 1 springs, shocks, and struts. I drive it and the noise goes away for about a day. Then it comes back and now getting louder, to the point where I feel uncomfortable driving it. I remove the lca and those bushings are also beyond shot. Find out that the car has Lakewood lcas so I order a replacement set last week and put them on Saturday. I new the pinion angle was off so I set it at the exact same time as I put the new bushings on the lcas. (set it to 3 degree)

Today I take it to work which is a 35 min. drive down some back roads to Morris. I was easy on it for a while and everything was good. Never heard the rear end so quit. I get some confidence and start getting on her a bit, all is good. I leave work drive home taking my time and about 5 miles from the house I hear a f&%#ing Clunk. Not just once, it came back just like it was last week.

Not sure where to go from here. I will take any suggestions at this point. All this is on a 94 GT.

ajdereicup

Measly little 4.6 2v in a boat
Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
There's something about dropping some grease on the fittings or something if they're not sliding like they should or whatever I was advised it when my rear end was clunking randomly but it has gone away just randomly looked and it all looks good. Does it have a rear sway bar those can potentially make noise too

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
If the mounting hole is double the size I bet you are getting some movement in the UCA no matter how tight you make them. Also what type of bushings are in the UCA's and LCA's? If you are using solid bushings they will be noisy as well.

DJ

Forum Sponsor
Oct 20, 2005
I can not duplicate the noise by jumping on the back or trying to push and pull the car. Yes they are lubed and this is not a little clunk. You can definitely tell it is metal to metal type of noise. I looked at the torque boxed again tonight and do not look bad from what I can see.

DJ

Forum Sponsor
Oct 20, 2005
No the Lakewood arms are two piece to allow a valley for grease. I can not see where anything is hitting. Not to sound like a dick but if I did my problem would be solved.

Has anyone seen a bad torque box? If so is it usually obvious to see its bad?

Thanks for all the input I have been tracking this for so long I am probably missing something stupid.

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
I know but sometimes people leave out the obvious if they freak out about something happening so better to be safe and ask instead of keep running through possibilities when its something simple

If a torque box is messed up you'll either see cracks in it or it might look deformed. I've never seen the torque boxes on those year mustangs though so I'm not sure the shape they're supposed to be. Do the control arms look like they're going into the torque boxes straight or kind of at an angle? Like not up and down angle but like angle with the side of the control arm in relation to the torque box? You MIGHT be able to jack up the rear of the car and attempt to wiggle the rear end to see if there's play in the control arm side that goes into the torque box but that may be more difficult then its worth. It's easy to see if it has cracks in it somewhere. Its harder if its just bent outta shape to see unless really extreme

DJ

Forum Sponsor
Oct 20, 2005
Well now I have an added attribute. Yesterday I lifted the car to look at the torque boxes and couldn't see anything. Pulled and yanked on some components all felt good. Lowered the car down and the noise disappeared for about 20 miles. All of a sudden came back like it never went away.

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
So by unloading the suspension it got the parts back lined up in the right spots then driving it letting the suspension reload it got back to being in the wrong spot.

Maybe the springs or shocks are shot and by having it in the air hanging it let them spread open a little then after sitting down and having the weight back on them they went back to sagging? Are they older springs/shocks? Are there bumpstops on the car you can check to see if they're all messed up from hitting due to shit springs/shocks? I'm thinking the other suspension parts should be loaded once you set it back down or fairly soon afterwards not take 20 miles hence why I'm thinking springs/shocks because they can take a little bit of time to settle back to their position of being shit

DJ

Forum Sponsor
Oct 20, 2005
I do see what you are saying but the metal noise comes more from a torque movement of the engine. Not necessarily from the suspension loading and unloading. I can barely let go of the clutch to the point where the car doesn't move much and the clunk will be loud. It seems like soon as the rear end receives the torque of the engine it clunks.

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Ohhhh did you check the rear end fluid and gears themselves. Sadly that's what it sounds like it might be if its clunking when your just barely letting off the clutch and hearing it. Does it have main cap supports on the cover? Did the previous owner launch it hard do you know or use slicks on it?

Maybe do a quick check to make sure nothings too close to the driveshaft that when the engine twists and make sure its bolted in good because it its when letting off the clutch it should have to do with the driveline most likely not the suspension

You can also check the motormounts because IIRC they can lead to clunking when letting off a clutch and all but I think the clunking when they're bad is more localized to the front of the car but not 100% sure on it

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
The exhaust is usually more then just one clunk though I thought? That's how my cats used to be the shield would get against the tranny crossmember and make a hell of a racket. But only do it sometimes and then going over some bumps. Drove me crazy trying to figure it out

DJ

Forum Sponsor
Oct 20, 2005
Don't want to jinx it but I haven't heard a knock in two days. I looked underneath to see if anything changed any all looked fine. Not sure wtf is going on but I am going to do the number one rule that you shouldn't do and that is ignore it and hope it goes away. Hoping to make the Starve Rock cruise.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info