Need Help - Replace Exhaust Muffler Tips

FUNDAD

Big Trouble in Little China
Apr 6, 2005
When I bought the C6 ZR1 exhaust for my Grand Sport it arrived in a box that looked like every fuckhead at UPS took turns kicking the shit out of it. Everything functions as normal but the tips got dented. They refunded me some cash and I used it to buy some new ones. Some guy on the Corvette forum used them and they look great. Instead of 3.5” they are 4” and have a taper to them.

Fast forward to today. It’s been like eight months and the tips I want to put on are still just sitting in the box they arrived in.

I am looking for someone that can weld like a boss. The ZR1 exhaust has the NPP option or vacuum operated valves.

I need all four of the stock OEM dented up tips to be cut off nice and even. Then I need the nice brand spanking new ones welded on nice and straight.

Anyone on here a welding boss?? Anyone here know one?

Let me know as I am getting sick of looking at the fucked up tips but I don’t want the ability of the valves opening and closing to be messed up.

Thanks!!

Matt (FUN DAD)

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
The welds you are probably wanting are probably TIG, I doubt there are going to be many or any that have a TIG in their garage. A MIG will work fine, just won’t be very pretty. Not too many exhaust shops will have anything other than a MIG. Is this a weld that’s front and center, or is it kinda hidden?

FUNDAD

Big Trouble in Little China
Apr 6, 2005
For reference -

“Thanks for the recommendation on these tips. I picked up a sit and I just need someone to weld them on for me. Did you remove your mufflers and have them weld them off the car or did they weld them on the car.”

They did it on the car.

“Does ANYBODY have info, advice or PICTURES of the Cutting off of OE/Old Tips and the how the new
Tips ..Fit Up and TIG Weld On ???“

before cutting off tips, get a pipe to fit on the inside of the outside tip. heat the weld on muffler and exhaust pipe. bend outside tip with (installed pipe) towards the side of the car, need about 3/4" to 1" gap between the tips. this allows for the bigger tips to sit next to each other with a small space between them. cut the tips off at weld bead, if you have NPP with flaps open the cut will be to the very edge of the flap. cut too far forward and you will cut the flap. center tips cut off even with outside tip cut. install 4" tips, few tack welds should be good.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info