Need help.. please step in

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
Ok, I'm still getting a ticking noise even after i changed the lifters. It definitely sounds like valvetrain but I need some opinions. I hope the vid is clear enough for some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGGgA9pheBk

to describe it, it has a faint ticking at idle and gets loud when gassed. Its really noticeable on decel. The first night my brother and i had it out for tuning we did a quick burst we floated the valves at not even probably 55-5600.

could it be flat lobes on the cam? The old lifters had some scorching marks on the roller but nothing drastic from what i seen. And cylinder 1 and 2, the rockers didn't seem to come up as high as the others when i rotated the block

Thanks

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
well I swapped the pushrods and rockers off the old 4.8 onto it and the noise is still there. If there is an exhaust leak I know it isn't causing the tick b/c I've had it buttoned up tight and it was still there. The next step is changing the cam, timing chain and oil pump..

any other suggestions would be great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLkw8hCVHYg

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
hmmm, now were talking. No i haven't checked that, but i'm pretty sure it was pretty tight. But i'll check that tomorrow. It doesn't feel weird when driving, and it doesn't feel like its coming from underneath me.

i thought i had rod knock when i first heard it, when i got home i crawled underneath when running and it much louder around the bellhousing than it was by the oil pan, plus i can feel the vibration through the tranny case and nothing through the oil pan, ur tranny got an inspection cover?

KagA152

Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Columbus, IN
i feel your pain, my gtp has been ticking for over a year now and over 20k miles. i replaced the lifters and it went away, only to come back about a thousand miles later. im assuming some sort of oil volume problem, because pressure is good. i figured if it was bad enough it would have blown up by now, so i continue to beat the shit out it, and be embarrassed when i go to the drive thru

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
i feel your pain, my gtp has been ticking for over a year now and over 20k miles. i replaced the lifters and it went away, only to come back about a thousand miles later. im assuming some sort of oil volume problem, because pressure is good. i figured if it was bad enough it would have blown up by now, so i continue to beat the shit out it, and be embarrassed when i go to the drive thru

ouch, i don't really wanna drive it like it is.. It annoys me as it sits

Did you locktite the flexplate and tq converter bolts?

I'd almost want to hear it at idle (rather than reving it) and do the same walk around vid...

As much as I hate to say it, sounds kinda like a rod bearing. :ugh:

I bought new bolts from GM and they had their stuff on them, they were pretty tight going in. I really hope its not a rod bearing... I would really hate myself for not bring the motor to a shop before install for inspection.

I'll get that vid for ya.

How do you describe "floating valves" at 55-5600? What exactly happened?

its like the motor gurggles... bout the best i can describe it... The Fuel cut-off is at 6k and the shift point at 5800

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info