• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Need help or advice on a 5.3 swap!

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
do you not have an ls1 harness? modifying the 5.3 harness and fuse box is plenty do-able but very consuming. you keeping abs or ac? if not id really recommend a standalone harness from a place like psi. simple plug n play and will allow the use of the fbody gauges ect....

unless you could source a stock fbody ls1 harness....not sure what they go for?

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
You planning on using throttle by wire or cable? Depending what tb you are using you need to be sure your pcm has the driver for the iac. I'd recommend the 411 red/blue pcm if you are using dbc and use the truck blue/green if you're wanting dbw. I'd assume it would be easier to use the stock tb and cable depending on your setup

98blackbird

Jun 4, 2015
i bought the engine with harness and computer. i was also thinking it would be a plug and play. well i am running an ls1 intake with the stock 5.3 TB. but since my car is ran with electric fans how would i be able to run them with the stock harness? & what is dbw? i kinda new to this lol

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
Fbodies utilized a DBC setup, which you'll want to stick with.

AFAIK, Gen III to Gen III, 24x to 24x should be good to go per electronics, my work on the LSx is all with aftermarket EMS though, so I can't tell you with any real certainty.

If you've already got truck electronics, I'd run 'em personally, but I don't know what your skillset is.

[MENTION=945]daturbosix[/MENTION]? :dunno:

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
The Motor plugs, I believe, should all be the same on an LS car and truck. The harness may be a little longer though because of how they run it. If you have an electronic setup, DBW, and want to use your ls1 intake and 5.3 TB. Then look into an 03+ TRUCK harness, it's DBW. if your going back to the cable route, an f-body harness will work or a 99-02 truck harness. Depending on your intake, is what I would choose. The truck intake have a couple extra plugs for the evap system right on the intake. But that can also be easily tuned out.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
the dbw setup will be challenging to setup the throttle pedal because the truck pedal sticks out waaay farther than any of the car dbc throttle pedals do that i've seen. ask me how i know....lol

but the cam/crank sensor will be the same between the two harness, if you have a dbw harness, it wont work for a normal cable drive throttle body. the time/money to modify it so it doesnt utilize the the tac module and whatnot will surely be more than buying an ls1 harness.

the oil pressure switch for the two motors are different but i would just but an fbody one so the factory gauges will work.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info