Need Help/Insight - 3800 stalling/running rough/acting like s00ls (weird)

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
My car has been running rough every now and then ever since Wed night.

It was randomly stalling out at idle, stoplights, etc...

I replaced the spark plugs with ACDelco 41-101's on Saturday at TheAutoGuys's House.

While at work last night, it really didn't stall out as much as it did, but it did throw a SES light that went away.

I was attributing it to bad gas, but I am not so sure now because of what it did later last night when I tried to move it.

It acted like it was getting no fuel for about 5 minutes... I finally turned the key off and on about five times to let the fuel pump prime and then it started right up.

Therefore I am thinking Fuel Pump or fuel filter? are my assumptions along the right lines?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
wed was the last snow, so chances are you got salty water on the wires and they started leaking voltage and are now shot, though it could be other things...

next time it's dark out grab a bottle of soapy water and spray all the wires down...if you see a lightning show...replace the wires...if your a badass like me you can just ground one hand and run your other hands down the length of each wire...bettter than a cup o joe lol

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
These wires still look the same as they did when I put them on in fall of '08...

There might be a dumb issue on my part. I may have gapped the new plugs too open... to 0.65. Autozone lists the 41-101s as needing gap of 0.60.

Either way, the car is throwing "P0300 - Multiple Misfires" and the exhaust smells like sulfur after it dies and I have to fight with it to get it back started. I may not have use of the heated garage where I changed the plugs, so pulling them out in freezing temperatures will have to do.

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
I'm thinking problem lies elsewhere now?

This issue doesn't crop up all the time, it's intermittent... could a Throttle Position Sensor that is going bad cause idle issues and Toyota Syndrome (constant acceleration with foot off of gas pedal)

The reason I ask is that today the car seemed even more possessed... idled up to 3000 RPM after I disconnected and reconnected the TPS... disconnecting and reconnecting the MAF did nothing... I did that prior to disconnecting the TPS.

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
Replaced Fuel Filter Yesterday... I coughed up $50 to have Tires Plus in Cherry Valley do it...

It seems to have fixed the intermittent stalling and running rough... It's like nothing was wrong except for the fact that when I am on I90, the SES light flashes... no misfiring... it's weird... I'm going to get with TheAutoGuy to use his garage to pull the plugs and regap them to .060 to see if it is that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info