Need Help: Electrical Issue 97 Cobra

greasy

I Haz New Teknologee
Donating Member
Reaction score
I am having an electrical issue with the Cobra, I think the issue started late last year after I wired in the new gauge cluster. Before I started powder coating everything I was under the impression that my alternator was on the way out or dead which is what was causing me to get spark plug blowout because the car was relying on running off of the battery.

I was partially correct, as the alternator was not working and the car is running solely off of the battery, but I am not sure what the root cause is. I am for certain this is an electrical issue tied the new gauge cluster/wiring. The car has had the same failure twice, once before the powder coating and once after.

Is anyone good with electrical shit and willing to help me out on this? I am an electrical putz and I am willing to pay someone $500 to identify and fix this.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
So is the alternator good and just not charging and that's your issue?

greasy

I Haz New Teknologee
Donating Member
Reaction score
So is the alternator good and just not charging and that's your issue?

I believe the alternator itself is not the issue, although I’m not sure the new one I just put in is not fried. The car is now on its 2nd alternator.

greasy

I Haz New Teknologee
Donating Member
Reaction score
Shit I may have figured this out, looks like the alternator needs a signal from the gauge cluster. I have identified the signal wire for the alternator, I just need to know where to hook it.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Is there 2 or 3 pins in your alternator?

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'll look up a schematic tomorrow morning at work

Intel

Reaction score
What is this new cluster? Is it aftermarket? Most cars have an exciter wire tied to the gauges that tell the alternator to charge. If that doesnt work the battery light then comes up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom