• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Need Help Cobra won't start

PNSH3R

Regular
Mar 7, 2008
Raced a bike today -, went 2nd through 5th gear (about half way through fifth). I walked him pretty hard but then as I was slowing down car started stalling out on me. It was sputtering for a while and then it just died and would not start. Before it completely died I could smell something similar to platic burning (electrical fire kinda), but there was no smoke and no fuses blew. Engine is good, and it turns over just fine but it is clearly not getting any fuel. When I turn the key I hear the fuel pumps cycle (though to me they sound very noisy), and then I found a code p0193. And that sums it up. I had the car towed home and it is in the garage now. Could it be bad fuel pumps? Seized up or something?

PNSH3R

Regular
Mar 7, 2008
tank is full of gas, I do have a BAP (checked the fuse already). When i turn on the ignition key I hear the pumps come on and prime. So, that leads me to believe that relays, BAP & all is good to go. Pumps do seem much noisier (or i never paid attention to it before), and the burning smell was strongest by the driver side rear wheel well. Is there any way to take resistance readings on the pumps? What about the FRP sensor?

PNSH3R

Regular
Mar 7, 2008
also if FRP was bad wouldn't the car still run, but run rough? I am thinking that one of the pumps failed mechanically - motor is still spinning but not pushing any fuel.. .If one pump failed is there a check valve that would prevent the pumps from passing fuel back through? If there is no check valve then the remaining fuel pump would never be able to build pressure because it would just flow out of the other side (other pump)....
ANy info is welcome

zimmer0924

Master Debater
Jul 2, 2008
I'm having a similar issue that I cant figure out. I cycle the key and the pumps are louder then hell. I replaced the frps and it did nothing. I pull the plugs and theres fuel everywhere. It seems like the fuel is coming out at a large rate. I data logged my fuel rail pressure and it at 60lbs with just priming the pumps. That way to much. If I were you I would check to see if that is happening to you too. My car broke down 3 mile away from home and I had to get it towed too. Too busy of a road to push.

PNSH3R

Regular
Mar 7, 2008
interesting.. I have not datalogged anything yet... But your problem sounds exactly like mine. Were you romping on it before it happened? Did you have a same code?
I am gonna pull some sparkplugs and am gonna look in there, but every time I am trying to start the car I get that smell to come back, too - and it is coming somewhere from the back. So, I am really starting to think that pumps are jacked up.

Also, don't know if it would make a difference for you but have you tried using a mechanical gauge to read your fuel pressure? If the sensor is not reading right it would log bad, too.

PNSH3R

Regular
Mar 7, 2008

zimmer0924

Master Debater
Jul 2, 2008
Yeah I did and still nothing. I think it may have washed out the cylinders because of the large amount of fuel that was in there. So I'm thinking that there was no lubrication in the cylinder and now everything is dry and stuck. When I get home I'm going to let some pb blaster sit in the cylinder a while and see what that releases.

PNSH3R

Regular
Mar 7, 2008
i replaced the FRPS and datalogged again, and now I am getting a reading from it - but car is still not firing up. HOwever, reading for the Frp is still less than one PSI.

SO, I guess the old FRPS crapped out, it was reading low and fuel pumps ramped up thinking that they had to bring the pressure up. ANd, so now either my pump is fried or hose is off.
I will surely have fun trying to get out 12gal of fuel out of the tank first
:/

PNSH3R

Regular
Mar 7, 2008
Well, I have finally dropped the tank, and found the problem. And, my theory was dead on. FRPS blew, fuel pumps ramped up (ecu was thinking that fuel pressure was low) and one of the hoses Blew. PPRV delete here I come :)
Good news is that both fuel pumps are still running and check out ok. I guess now I can change the fuel filter, too, and install the KB disc.

BTW - looking at how flimsy those hoses are - I am trully surprised that it held up as long as it did.

DSC03762.jpg

DSC03763.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info